Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Teeth Bonding

DD is in the last couple of months of wearing braces. But the orthodontist has asked us if we would like to have some bonding done on some of her teeth.

Her teeth are now straight and look so good, but a few of them are just shaped a little different from the "perfect tooth shape". Bonding would make them shaped completely perfect.

So, we have to decide in the next 7 weeks if we want this done.

I asked about them breaking and the ortho said that she would have to take care of them--no biting into apples, for example--to make sure they don't break. She also said that she would have to be careful of drinking a lot of cokes or coffee or tea because of staining. OTOH, she said that she had a friend in dental school that had some bonding done about 15 years before school and had forgotten about having it even done.

So, before we decide, I was just wondering any cons of having this done.

We know the biggest pro will be her smile will be almost perfect.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
JVL1018
Forever Mickey's daughter
I hate stickers on fruit, it skeeves me.
If someone doesn't like it, tough noogies
"Nakey Boy to the rescue!!!"

I chipped my front tooth in 5th grade. It's bonded and I have never watched what I ate because of it.
It did break off once, but that's because my son accidentally whacked me in the mouth with his Nintendo DS, and that was years and years after it was originally done. I went to the dentist, had it redone and its been fine for..I guess it's been about 6 years now.

JVL1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

My DD has perfect teeth but she chipped one in the very front, and she had a small gap in between her teeth that bothered her. We had a little bit of bonding done and her teeth look perfect now. the reason I went this way is because my mother had some bonding done about 14 years ago and she has not had any problems at all.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

I had a decent gap between my two front teeth and had them bonded to close the gap. I've never had an issue with discoloration or breaking. I've even used teeth whitening kits and those work on the bonded area. It was one of the better decisions I have made as far as my appearance goes. I had it done 20 years ago at the age of 14.

I eat apples and hard candy also. No issues.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVL1018 View Post
I chipped my front tooth in 5th grade. It's bonded and I have never watched what I ate because of it.
Same here. And I've been eating apples almost every day with them for 35 years.

I did have to have the bond redone once; can't remember why. It was maybe 10 years ago, meaning I had the first bond last 25 years.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #6
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Depends on the extent of the bonding - my older daughter has an enamel issue (genetic? over-fluoridation? antibiotics?) and needed all her teeth bonded. I wish there was a better solution, as the process is invasive and nonreversible. They have to remove some of the good enamel to get a rough surface for the bonding to stick.

For a small cosmetic issue, sure. For a huge, mouth-wide issue, no.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I had spaces between my front teeth plus a little chip on the surface of my one front tooth. I got bonding about 20-25 years ago and it's been great. I have had to get them repaired 2 or 3 times but not a big deal. It make a big difference in my confidence, I didn't like to smile before. I am careful what I bite into, I always slice apples.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Sounds like she looks just fine with her "real" teeth to me. I would not do it if it were my child. I don't feel like my kids or myself need to have "perfect" teeth, just healthy aligned teeth. Unless she looks really strange for some reason, and I don't get that vibe from you, I don't see the need.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
DD is in the last couple of months of wearing braces. But the orthodontist has asked us if we would like to have some bonding done on some of her teeth.

Her teeth are now straight and look so good, but a few of them are just shaped a little different from the "perfect tooth shape". Bonding would make them shaped completely perfect.

So, we have to decide in the next 7 weeks if we want this done.

I asked about them breaking and the ortho said that she would have to take care of them--no biting into apples, for example--to make sure they don't break. She also said that she would have to be careful of drinking a lot of cokes or coffee or tea because of staining. OTOH, she said that she had a friend in dental school that had some bonding done about 15 years before school and had forgotten about having it even done.

So, before we decide, I was just wondering any cons of having this done.

We know the biggest pro will be her smile will be almost perfect.
I think you have to weigh the pros and cons of each "side".

If her smile is "good" (though maybe not "perfect"), I'd probably leave well enough alone since bonding does involve permanent changes to the teeth, and there can be problems, particularly if not done right. (I'd go to a cosmetic dentist if I were going to have it done.) At the very least, allow her to live with her natural smile for a while once the braces are off (as I see you'll be doing). You can always go back in later to do it. But once you do it, you can't go back to natural, you know? As they say, hindsight is 20/20. You never want to say, "I wish I knew then what I know now" if you experience problems, that's the worst, especially when it was optional (as opposed to necessary from an accident or whatever).

Some of the discoloration occurs from "around" the bonding as opposed to the bonding itself. Especially from things like coffee, tea, sodas, etc. I think biting into things is less of an issue today than it was years ago thanks to newer bonding techniques. But you still have to be careful.

I seem to recall a thread here about braces and perfect smiles. Some felt that everyone's walking around with the same perfect smile today. I don't think there's anything wrong with a unique smile, if it's otherwise good. My DD was one of the seemingly few who didn't need braces, unless we wanted to improve her smile to perfect according to the orthodontist. She and we chose to forego the braces (for now) and she gets lots of compliments on her smile. (DS has a perfect smile without braces, had lots of spaces when he was little and they always told us spaces were good!)

I, for one, love unique smiles and don't think that everyones' smiles have to be perfect. Just my $.02.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
I think you have to weigh the pros and cons of each "side".

If her smile is "good" (though maybe not "perfect"), I'd probably leave well enough alone since bonding does involve permanent changes to the teeth, and there can be problems, particularly if not done right. (I'd go to a cosmetic dentist if I were going to have it done.) At the very least, allow her to live with her natural smile for a while once the braces are off (as I see you'll be doing). You can always go back in later to do it. But once you do it, you can't go back to natural, you know? As they say, hindsight is 20/20. You never want to say, "I wish I knew then what I know now" if you experience problems, that's the worst, especially when it was optional (as opposed to necessary from an accident or whatever).

Some of the discoloration occurs from "around" the bonding as opposed to the bonding itself. Especially from things like coffee, tea, sodas, etc. I think biting into things is less of an issue today than it was years ago thanks to newer bonding techniques. But you still have to be careful.

I seem to recall a thread here about braces and perfect smiles. Some felt that everyone's walking around with the same perfect smile today. I don't think there's anything wrong with a unique smile, if it's otherwise good. My DD was one of the seemingly few who didn't need braces, unless we wanted to improve her smile to perfect according to the orthodontist. She and we chose to forego the braces (for now) and she gets lots of compliments on her smile. (DS has a perfect smile without braces, had lots of spaces when he was little and they always told us spaces were good!)

I, for one, love unique smiles and don't think that everyones' smiles have to be perfect. Just my $.02.
Thanks! The fact of it being permanent and not being able to go back and get rid of it is the thing that had me the most concerned.

Dd is really worried about how she is going to look with the braces off anyway and all this talk about possibly needing some bonding isn't really helping that worry. I am really leaning toward seeing what her teeth look like without the braces, getting used to her "new" smile and going from there.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

Yep... definitely NO hurry! Don't let the orthodontist try to pressure you into having done 'now' as the braces come off...

Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
suzimar57
when i do put some makeup on, he's stunned!
loose screw i find in his work pants
It's cheesy, in a fun sort of way!

i had a rather large gap (think: vanessa paradis size) filled in with bonding over 15 years ago on my front teeth

never had a problem - it is still looking "perfect"

my DH wanted it done because it always bothered me, how it looked

i'm very glad i had it done - really made a difference!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: