Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
nansmama
DIS Veteran

Stories of bringing friends/extended family with you?

We just went on a quick trip of four days to WDW. We brought my daughter's BFF with us, so it was me and three teens (16, 15, 14). I guess I'm dumb because I didn't anticipate the complaints/attitude from my dd's friend. My kids love Disney so I have never had the experience of a child not liking it! We've also been to Disney with tons of different people before and always had a great time, but now as I think about it, I realize that it was either other grownups (my friends) or families who already love Disney. Oops.

I will not write down our whole saga, but here is one example. We took the bus to Beach Club and went to Beaches & Cream because I thought the kids would get a kick out of the giant kitchen sink ice cream. We were there for less than an hour including wait time for a table, and here was this girl's List of Complaints:

- The resort was too big and too confusing.
- The bus stop was in a weird place.
- It was "too fancy" in the hotel lobby.
- The weather outside was too hot.
- The air inside the restaurant was too cold.
- The waitress was too happy.
- The arcade (where we went to wait since it was "too hot" outside) was loud.
- The ice cream "sounded gross." (Note: we did not order it. She said this after glancing at the menu.)
- Her french fries were "too big."
- The decor in the restaurant was "too bright" and "tacky." Well, duh. Do you expect an ice cream parlor to resemble a funeral parlor?

To top it off, she did not eat even half her meal, not at that restaurant and not anywhere for the rest of the trip. I ended up telling the girls to get one meal and share it because she was wasting so much food. Needless to say we will not bring her with us again. In retrospect, it perhaps wasn't the greatest idea to take a kid who fancies herself a Unique Rebel to the Happiest Place on Earth. I think she spent more time staring at her cell phone than she did looking around her.

Please tell me your stories of grumpy Disney tagalongs and make me feel better!

--

ETA: To address a couple points, because people keep bringing them up:

1. Yes, the girls were allowed to go off by themselves. They actually spent more time away from me than with me in the parks. I'm not the type to force people into a touring plan (didn't even have a touring plan!).
2. No, our guest was not a Disney newbie. She went for a week at POR on the dining plan two years ago with her family. She was very happy and excited about the trip until we actually got into a park.
3. Yes, I have learned my lesson about bringing my kids' friends with us. We have been there with MY friends before, but obviously another willing adult is a different matter.

Last edited by nansmama; 10-12-2012 at 09:29 AM.
nansmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

(notice that I'm not quoting your post...)
Maybe it's the "I'm too cool for WDW" attitude that's so prevalent in those years...?

In this case, tho', it comes off as "I'm too cool to be grateful to my hostess."
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
nansmama
DIS Veteran

What's weird is that she was very excited to go, but once we got there she didn't seem all that happy. She did calm down a bit the last day and a half we were there, but it was a little late by then. Oh well, lesson learned--surly teens are surly.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
HeyIt'sMe
For Tag Fairy's Use only
That weed whacker just intimidates me somethin' fierce!

"- The waitress was too happy."

Hahahaha!! That one cracked me up.

Gotta love teenagers. I have one myself (DD 15). She always asks if she can bring a friend along on our family vacations - WDW or other destinations - and we always tell her no. We just want to spend time together as a family.

This summer one of her friends went to WDW and my DD followed her vacation tweets - most of them were complaints....."too hot"...."too much walking"...."mom is driving me crazy".....The only positive thing she tweeted was that the boys in World Showcase were cute.

Last year we did go to WDW with my MIL. She wasn't grumpy but we've concluded that she's a vacation jinx. We've been on vacation with her 3 times and every time something bad happened:
#1 - Destin Apr 1996 - I got food poisoning
#2 - WDW Sep 2000 - MIL twisted her knee the 2nd day there and was in a wheelchair for the rest of the trip
#3 - WDW Oct 2011 - MIL and my DH got sick. Like coming out of both ends sick (sorry, TMI) - the entire trip was a bust

We're afraid to travel with her anymore!

1970s - Contemporary: Nov 1975
1980s - Offsite: Jun 1985
1990s - Polynesian: Oct 1991, Oct 1993

2000s - Polynesian: Sep 2000, Oct 2001, Sep 2002, Oct 2003, Oct 2004, Oct 2006, Oct 2008
2010s - Polynesian: Oct 2010, Oct 2011, Oct 2012, Oct 2013
Trip Planning in Progress - Grand Floridian (sorry Polynesian): Oct 2014
HeyIt'sMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
nansmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyIt'sMe View Post
Gotta love teenagers. I have one myself (DD 15). She always asks if she can bring a friend along on our family vacations - WDW or other destinations - and we always tell her no. We just want to spend time together as a family.
You are a wiser woman than me. This girl has stayed at our house for a few days at a time before so I didn't think we'd have any issues. D'oh!

Quote:
Last year we did go to WDW with my MIL. She wasn't grumpy but we've concluded that she's a vacation jinx. We've been on vacation with her 3 times and every time something bad happened:
#1 - Destin Apr 1996 - I got food poisoning
#2 - WDW Sep 2000 - MIL twisted her knee the 2nd day there and was in a wheelchair for the rest of the trip
#3 - WDW Oct 2011 - MIL and my DH got sick. Like coming out of both ends sick (sorry, TMI) - the entire trip was a bust

We're afraid to travel with her anymore!
Oh my goodness! Being sick is much worse than a teen attitude. Hope the curse is reversed next time!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
MomRN
DIS Veteran

We just came back from a trip where we brought my 18 yr old step-daughter best friend (who's 17). It wasn't as bad as your experience, but we had our moments. She's a larger girl (and so am I, so I don't mean offense) and held up in the heat and humidity without complaining much.

Our biggest issue was the crying. I'm going to sound horribly heartless saying this, but she cried so much. Some of it was legitimate (towards the end of the trip she had an uncle and grandfather die, and her own mother died a little over a year ago, and brought up those feelings). Some of it was regular teenage emotional things.
MomRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
merina888
Mouseketeer

We took my son to WDW when he was 18 months for the first time. We met my in-laws there. They weren't terrible, but we just don't vacation the same. They are more interested in getting their monies worth than in taking in the atmosphere. So we will never do Disney (any Disney) with them again. We may never vacation with them again. They slow us down too much (my mil has some physical issues) and we are not park commandoes!
merina888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
geenerbell
Am I caught up with Robo yet?

I took two 11 year old boys to Disney this past June. My son and his cousin that had never been. I can laugh now at his cousin's smirk in the picture but then it was annoying. My son loves Disney and the cuz liked some parts but he acted bored other times. How can one be bored at Disney? Lesson learned... Disney is a special place for my son and I to share. No more add-ons please.
geenerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
WSLover
Mouseketeer

I guess I have been lucky and haven't experienced any bad WDW trips with others and I've gone with various friends and family. But I can't say that for other types of vacations. One trip to Bermuda was a complete nightmare. Now I just travel with a few close friends whose tastes and travel habits are similar to mine. Vacations are too expensive and use up precious vacation time to take a chance on picking the wrong traveling companions.
WSLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
jnfr2424
I'm Tink I got my Peter Pan and together we love to fly away to Neverland!

DH and I surprised our 3 nieces a few years ago (12, 8 and 4 at the time) we did all this planning with surprises (think of all the bells and whistles possible) we were too excited I guess its because we don't have kids and thought what kid does not like Disney? between being picky about food to only wanting to swim to not wanting to get up and watch TV all day. I vowed never ever again.
Funny part they always talk about it.

We just returned from the World and we took both our mothers sometimes we take one at a time which can be a patience tester but this time we decided they both can come - they roomed together and toured together we only saw them for 2 dinners and everything worked out wonderfully!

jnfr2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Kids just are who they are.

I can look at my daughter's friends right now and tell you which ones would behave that way on a trip.

We have shared some time at Disney with close friends before, but never an entire trip. I value my special Disney time far too much to risk it like that.

Bless you for trying though!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I had a Trip from H-ll with 3 teenagers. PM me and I'll email you my TR. It wasn't really these kids' fault--the stepmom would not let us tell them in advance and they got there and were just COMPLETELY overwhelmed--so much so that all they wanted to do was stay in the hotel room and watch TV.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
GraceMonica
DIS Veteran

Last trip we brought my sister's best friend. (Both 16 at the time) Our whole family is used to her and she's at our house a lot. So there were no issues! We invited her again to come on our christmas break trip...she knows how crowded its going to be and is still looking forward to it! She said she'd be happy if she was only able to ride the people mover! Lol! Thankfully she's not a picky eater.

My cousin who is a pain will be with us as well and she is a picky eater. I think she's going to be in for a shock when we get there. Oh well, im just going to go with the flow and block her out! We're going to set some ground rules and if she gets too moody...she'll just have to hang out with the grandparents...but I guess I don't want to torture them with her!
GraceMonica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

We have done numerous large group vacations but Jan 2009 was the bad one. It was my grandson's first trip. We took the entire family, 11 total to WDW for a week (5 rooms at BC) and then a Disney cruise.

For some reason, middle son (father to this grandson) decided to be a total jerk this entire vacation. I felt so bad for his wife. Whatever was going on between them, our son felt it was necessary to ruin everyone's vacation.

We take our children/grandchildren on a vacation every other year but we seriously considered stopping the tradition after this one. Thank goodness the 2011 one was fantastic.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
rapunzels
DIS Veteran

My in-laws have tried twice to butt into our WDW vacations and I'm sorry but I put my foot down both times, and said no. Both times, our trip was completely planned, hotels, ADR's, parties, ect. They only want to pay for 1-2 parks days, can't hardly walk 10 feet without needing to sit down and want to share ALL of their meals. We have explained to them there is A LOT of walking, your not supposed to share meals - which they would balk at the cost, and with them only wanting to spend 1-2 days at the parks, what are we supposed to do with the rest our week, with our families APs. Disney is not cheap. They would tank the whole trip. I have no problem, planning a trip from the get go, knowing they would come.. I would have different expectations of that trip, than the one I've already planned, and they try to butt into, and end up ruining. Harsh words, but it's true. We're too commando for tagalongs!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: