Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

What is wrong with us?

We have been on 7 DCL cruise and have one coming up in a few months and we have never eaten at Palo/Remy....ever. Not from brunch or a diinner.

Sometimes my wife can be penny-wise and .....well anyway, she said 'we already paid for dining when we bought the cruise! why should we have to pay $60 to eat?'

So are brunch and dinner both $15 pp and is it really worth $60 for a family of 4? Oh, and we travel in jeans and Polos so that might exclude us?
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
We have been on 7 DCL cruise and have one coming up in a few months and we have never eaten at Palo/Remy....ever. Not from brunch or a diinner.

Sometimes my wife can be penny-wise and .....well anyway, she said 'we already paid for dining when we bought the cruise! why should we have to pay $60 to eat?'

So are brunch and dinner both $15 pp and is it really worth $60 for a family of 4? Oh, and we travel in jeans and Polos so that might exclude us?
Wellll, I think you are crazy. There is no place else at all where you can get THAT good of service and food for $20 a person plus tip.

And no jeans.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
perdidobay
Will work for travel ;-)
Needs rescuing from Chunky Monkey!!!!

It's a toss up really, you HAVE paid for the regular dining room food and if you enjoy it and don't fell compelled to eat at the adult only options, you aren't really missing anything. And if you don't want to have to dress accordingly, then that really seals the deal.

I do like to eat at Palo, and don't mind the brunch or dinner surcharge, and I like the food enough to dress up a bit for it. That said, the longer length of the meal makes me sometimes wish I hadn't chosen it. I get tired of sitting through really long meals, which is why I'll never eat at Remy.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
quickcat
Mouseketeer

We are in the same 'boat' as you. We've been on 4 cruises and never been to either. And, dare I say it, we've never gone to the pirate show!!
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickcat View Post
We are in the same 'boat' as you. We've been on 4 cruises and never been to either. And, dare I say it, we've never gone to the pirate show!!
You didn't miss anything not going to Pirate show. We FINALLY went so we could see the fireworks (we thought they were before the Pirate show).
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady View Post
Wellll, I think you are crazy. There is no place else at all where you can get THAT good of service and food for $20 a person plus tip.

And no jeans.
Agree with Handbag Lady. We have not traveled on the Fantasy or Dream (yet); but every cruise we have taken we try and book at least one meal at PALO. Leave the kid(s) behind and enjoy fine dining. When we take our Dream cruise in December 2013 I hope we can get into Remy. I doubt we will do both.

And we also leave an additional tip on top of the service charge to get into PALO. It is worth every penny. We had great food and fabulous service each time we ate there.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

I also agree with your DW. I feel we have already paid for dinner so why should we have to pay extra. We are also not into super dressy just for a meal. We enjoy our MDR meals. DH and I did do a Palo brunch once. It was okay. They food was good, but it wasn't enough for me to feel that it is a must-do. I feel that I have been there, done that.

I do believe that if you show up in jeans, shorts, other less than formal attire you will be requested to return to your room and change--especially at dinner time. And as a PP said Palo/Remy is adults only and they do not waiver from that.

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/]2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani, 8/2014 RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean, 11/2014 Celtic Thunder Cruise 2--MSC Divina
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
aymekae
Mouseketeer

Palo brunch was really the must have for me. My DH is not adventurous at all, so he skipped pretty much the whole buffet while I gorged myself, and he compensated by ordering two chicken parmigianas (his favorite Italian meal) and died and went to heaven. He thought it was worth it just for those! A little dressy, but not formal, the view was gorgeous (I believe we were pulling up to Key West at the time) and I would love love love to do it again.

We had dinner for the same reason (just to make me happy) but neither of us really enjoyed it. Too formal, too long, we missed having dinner with our new friends at our MDR table, and I was just as happy with the food in the MDR (crazy, right? I must be the only one!) Actually, DH asked if he could have another chicken parmigiana instead, and they regretfully said they couldn't, but would have if we had given them advance notice! I think we'll just stick with brunch, where I truly was in my happy place.

Highly doubt we will ever do Remy.

Ben (32) Ayme (28) Ian (10 mo)

DLR Trips - Last: Sep. 2013 Next: Jan. 2014
Honeymoon to WDW (Wilderness Lodge) Sep. 11, 2008
Western Caribbean Cruise (Magic) Dec. 10, 2011
Aulani Nov. 3-12, 2012
Eastern Caribbean Cruise (Fantasy) Dec. 14, 2013
Disneyland Jan. 16-18, 2014 (Neverland 5K)
aymekae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Our youngest is now 19 so we can ll go. We never even considered it the kids weren't old enough as we too always dine together.

I thought it was 15 pp. Evidently it is now $20. So $80 bucks?! Someone posted that $20 is cheap for a meal....but it's not $20......it's $20 on top of what you already paid.

Oh well, no intention to pack dress clothes just to eat one meal.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
Huey duck
Earning My Ears

I feel that it is more than $20 per person technically because you have paid for mdr as part of cruise cost and if you skip there to eat at Palo you have to add in that cost as well. With that in mind we are just eating in mdr. In my opinion Palo and Remy would be best utilized by frequent cruisers (I am not) who have had their fill of all of the included in the cruise cost meals. I see no reason to do it yet. I have family members in cities like San Fransisco, live in a resort community, and travel to other large cities for work where I can eat a nice fancy meal when I want
Huey duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
miztressuz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey duck View Post
I feel that it is more than $20 per person technically because you have paid for mdr as part of cruise cost and if you skip there to eat at Palo you have to add in that cost as well. With that in mind we are just eating in mdr. In my opinion Palo and Remy would be best utilized by frequent cruisers (I am not) who have had their fill of all of the included in the cruise cost meals. I see no reason to do it yet. I have family members in cities like San Fransisco, live in a resort community, and travel to other large cities for work where I can eat a nice fancy meal when I want
I agree exactly. In my neck of the woods we can get a good champagne brunch for $25-30pp + tip. I'm sure part of my cruise fare factors $10pp for lunch anyway so I'm either coming out "even" or have paid more for the same brunch on the ship. Same with the dinner, again, fortunate to have some good Italian restaurants where you could dine for the same $25-30pp so factoring the dinner that you already paid for in the MDR same scenario. (Italian's cheap around here, woohoo

So what it really comes down to, for me, do you have access to the same quality fare for a similar price elsewhere?

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have good ethnic cuisines everywhere. We have some good Chinese restaurants so we'd never go to the Chinese restaurant in Epcot... but parts of the family live in areas that have very poor quality Chinese restaurants so they go every trip!

On vacation I want to do something that I can't do at home... so Palo dinner doesn't interest me. Might consider trying their brunch once just to compare. And Remy is just right out, I can't justify that upcharge.... which is also why we don't usually do French restaurants at home either, just not our cup of tea. I'd rather put that money towards a spa pass
DCL
??? '16 Magic, maybe??
Dec '14 7 night Fantasy
Oct '11 4 night Dream
miztressuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

I' pretty sure Palo is $20 per person for dinner and the same extra charge for brunch. By a family of four do you mean all adults? Palo is an adult only venue and they don't ever waiver.

Is it worth it, totally a personal thing, but I have only missed Palo once on my very first cruise which was a 4 nighter. I ALWAYS book brunch, dinner and high tea. In my opinion and experience, the food is outstanding, the service incredible and the experience more than worth it!

Sure you've paid for your meals in the main dining rooms, but Palo is a great treat, and just like in the main dining rooms you can order whatever and as much of whatever as you like!

However, they do have dress code and depending on the manager they can be strict about it. I always enjoy making it more special by dressing up.

You may want to try just one of the options, brunch is good, easier if you don't want to miss the main dining room and the view is much prettier during the day.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Nothing is wrong with you. We cruised DCL for many years before I ever went to Palo for dinner. I did the tea when it was $5 (that tells you how long ago...)

OK, different reasoning. For us, vacation is family time and we have a rule that we always eat dinner as a family. We couldn't go to Palo as a family till my daughter turned 18, so no Palo for us. Now we enjoy Palo as a family, but as Platinum, it is comped other than the tip.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #14
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

We honestly don't care one bit about "fine dining". To us, the MDRs are plenty good! We did do palo brunch for this last (our first) trip, and did enjoy it a lot! It was very good, and we felt like it was worth the alone time and good food. That being said, we aren't doing it again. We are penny wise, too, and it does feel like a waste if we keep doing it. I can promise you we would never even consider Remy.

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
Our 2 Princesses
DIS Veteran

I was thinking of surprising my husband with a brunch on our next cruise. How much should we tip? Thx!
6/04 POR 2/11 Wonder
6/05 Wonder 4/12 Offsite
Our 2 Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: