Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
CorEeyore
Mouseketeer

Marigot on St. Maarten

Hello!

Had anyone been to Marigot on St. Maarten? Was it fun? Is it in walking distance from the ship? If not, how did you get there and how much did it cost to get there? v

Thank you!!!

CorEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
carolinagirl268
Mouseketeer

We took a cab there in the morning when we first got off the ship. It was a total waste of time and cab fare for my family. We are a family of 4 (DH, DS 13, DD 11, and myself). Maybe it would have been more fun in the afternoon rather than 11am but if you go later you have to worry about traffic and getting back to the ship in time. It was a long cab ride too. I think it took 40 minutes and cost $30 one way for the 4 of us. The only good part was we did get to see lots of the island and our cab driver was great tour guide. If we ever go back we'll try out Bernards Tours.
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
BigJon
will work for Dole Whip

We rented a car a few years ago, and drove around the island. We stopped in Marigot. I liked the view from the fort overlooking the town, and the girls liked the shopping. They have an "open air" straw market that was okay. If I were going back, I would just take a taxi van from the port. Just walk to the end of the pier, and turn right. You will see the taxi van area. Check out taxistmaarten.com
It looks like if you have at least 3-5 persons it's only $8 per person. We used the taxi vans in January of this year, and we only paid about $7 per person to go to Orient Beach (one way).
BigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
Miz Diz
I'll give up anything, as long as it isn't ice cream
And now my head is really spinningHe can't understand why he can't get me that excited.

I wasn't impressed with the shopping. The locals also told us not to buy in the French area because it costs more. You can find the same items on the Dutch side.

We did get a pastry at Sarafina's that was good.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Diz
I wasn't impressed with the shopping. The locals also told us not to buy in the French area because it costs more. You can find the same items on the Dutch side.

We did get a pastry at Sarafina's that was good.
Ditto to that. We did the Butterfly Farm tour which also did a stop in Marigot. We bought some yummy treats at Sarafina's but otherwise the town is horribly rundown, lots of shops closed, etc. our tour operator said some law changes had put a lot of businesses out of business. I wouldn't go over there again.

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: