Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
mickeys friend
DIS Veteran

Question OT- Flying with a 2 year old

Anyone have any tips for flying with a 2 year old? They aren't going to Disney,but going on vacation and will change planes once.We've taken a 3 year old before,and that's been several years ago,but any tips would be very helpful.Thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
ah1126
DIS Veteran

We just flew in August with our 2 year old. This trip she brought her own small backpack with small toys and snacks. She also enjoyed playing on her Daddy's ipad and itouch. I tried to pick up new toys for her backpack that she had never seen.

In my bag, I had a change of clothes for her, diapers, wipes, an empty sippy cup, and a small blanket. I found that it was nice to have some pull up style diapers. We didn't have much time between our connecting flights. She had a skirt on, so I was able to slip her wet diaper off, and pull clean pants on and no one could see anything.

When it was time to board, my husband would take the stroller, and carseat to check at the gate and the bags that he could and he boarded first. I waited with my DD, so we could be last to board the plane. This way we could go to the bathroom at the last moment, and walk around. The less time on the plane, the better!

I made sure to pack some of her favorite snacks that I could give her for take off, so she would be chewing.

I hope this helps!
ah1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
luckyfin
Coming out of hiding

Come prepared with snacks and activities. I picked up trinkets in the Target dollar section prior to our trip, books and sticker sets. Even if its not usually your thing, watching a movie with headphones is always a sure bet for a good distraction with our DD. On our last trip we lugged the car seat because we rented a car in Florida but if we were just going to WDW I think I would leave it behind next time. I don't know if your child is potty-trained yet but a trip to the bathroom when you board is worth it to try to avoid needing to go when the drink cart is blocking the aisle. I also had my DD exit the bathroom before flushing because it is very loud.
POR 2011 DD's 1st Trip Pop 2012 POFQ 2013
luckyfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
pfp258
Mouseketeer

Not sure what kinds of "tips" you are looking for but any parent of a two year old should know to brings snacks and activities for their children. Stickers are great, books, etc. Also just a parent to engage with, sing songs with your child, tell them a story and so forth. My girls have both been traveling since they were infants (youngest was 8 weeks old for our first Disney trip) and we never had a problem with them on an airplane.
pfp258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

If you have an iPad or portable DVD player w/ headphones, that would really come in handy even if you typically don't allow your toddler to watch movies or play with apps.

Other than that, the typical no-mess snacks (several different varieties) will be nice to have as well as a couple of books and quiet activities. The mini Magnadoodles are awesome because they are compact, the pen is attached so it can't be lost/dropped, and it can be erased over and over again so your little one won't run out of drawing materials. I also like the idea of bringing stickers to stick on paper.

If your toddler has chewed gum before (some allow it at that age, some don't), I would bring some along to help with their ear pressure. I'm actually not a parent myself so I don't know if there are other methods of helping a young child pop their ears.

Don't be afraid to talk and/or sing quietly with your child, either! No one should expect your little one to be totally silent so don't feel like people are staring at you or waiting for you to make a mistake or waiting for your child to have a meltdown. Most flights I've been on that have toddlers have been excellent with little to no disruption.

Me-29: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
malibuconlee
OOH - I think I've finally figured out the multi-quote feature!
Don't forget to get your drink of water from the "Fountain of Youth!!"

The biggest mistake I made when flying when my daughter was two was trying to insist she fall asleep on the plane during nap time. She ALWAYS had on EVERY flight before. Lesson learned. It was a rough day of traveling. I should have just given her snacks and let it go.

Suckers are good for take off and landing for ears for little ones.

malibuconlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
dhardawa
DIS Veteran

1. Drinks are good, but too much to drink equals pee running down the child's leg and soaking the carpet at O'Hare! I speak from experience!

2. Take the car seat and use it on the plane. This avoids it being lost (even gate checked things can get lost - again, I speak from experience) or damaged. It also gives the child a familiar seat to use.

3. Snacks, snack, snacks...
Old 10-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

Between the ages of 2 and 4 my daughter was a frequent flyer. Not only was I a single parent but I commuted from ATL to PVD and back every week. I always gave her the window seat and let her watch movies on the laptop. She loved flying.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: