Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Where do you stay the night before a cruise?

Just trying to figure out where we should stay the night before our cruise. I don't know what is the most cost-effective. Do we stay near the airport and take DCL transportation? Stay near the port, and if so how do we get there and is it cost-effective? What is the best way to do this?

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Have you read the FAQ sticky thread? http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2068966
If not you can look under HOTELS to find info on hotels hear the port and near the airport. You can also find info on car rentals and Car Services/Private Transfers.

Also, there are several threads within the first 3 of 4 pages of the DCL boards discussing hotels and transfers.

It would be helpful if you gave a bit more info on the make up of your travel party and if you are willing to drive a rental car or do you want to leave the driving to others.

You were also given very good info by kcashner on your other thread about hidden costs/transfers.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
IrishCowboy
DIS Veteran

Orlando Airport

Most of the time, we stay at Embassy Suites near Orlando airport. I use my Hilton miles and get a free room. Nice hotel, great staff and love the Manager's Reception and the fantastic breakfast buffet.

We do one-way car rentals, usually with Avis.

We'll be there this Friday!
Disney Fantasy 7-21-2012
Disney Magic 11-19-2011 - Back to Back
Disney Magic 11-12-2011
Carnival Dream 7-24-2011
Disney Magic 6-13-2009, Disney Magic 11-22-2008,
Disney Magic 3-17-2007, Disney Magic 7-22-2006,
Disney Magic 9-03-2005, Disney Magic 9-18-2004, Disney Magic 5-15-2004, Disney Magic 5-??-2003,
Disney Wonder 12-19-2002, Disney Magic 5-25-2002, Disney Magic 1-19-2002, Disney Magic 5-12-2001
IrishCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Thanks, and I apologize if I am asking redundant questions. I'm new to cruising and am trying to wrap my head around the whole experience. I looked at the first page in this forum and did not see anything related to this topic. I'm not new to Disboards, and I know how annoying repetitive questions are, and I can easily advise anyone on Disneyland or quick trips to WDW but I also know that Dis people are awesome at helping each other out in new territory.

My traveling party is explained in my signature: myself and my kids. We are flying in, and would rather not rent a car unless it really is the cheapest option.

Anyone know if the Nickelodeon Hotel has a cruise shuttle?

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Well, for us it depends on our transportation plans. Since we commonly come in after work/school, we usually stay in the MCO area. I can get a 2.5* hotel on Priceline for a bid of under $39, with taxes and fees that is under $50. At that level, the hotels all include breakfast and a complimentary shuttle to/from MCO. For 2 of us, DCL transportation is as cost effective as anything.

There are a couple of hotels near the airport that offer transportation to/from the cruise terminal. The Hyatt Place Northwest has this package--prices vary by dates, but the price is the same for 1-4 people. It includes transportation from airport to hotel, stay, breakfast, transportation to cruise terminal, and return to airport after cruise. This is honestly one of my favorite hotels. GREAT breakfast and walking distance from TGI Friday's for dinner. Also, the shuttle driver offered to take use somewhere else for dinner if he wasn't busy with airport runs.

The Wyngate has a similar but more costly package.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew View Post
Just trying to figure out where we should stay the night before our cruise. I don't know what is the most cost-effective. Do we stay near the airport and take DCL transportation? Stay near the port, and if so how do we get there and is it cost-effective? What is the best way to do this?
My DW and I like to stay at WDW a day or two before the cruise. We feel like we get into the vacation mode faster this way. Plus we love to be at WDW every chance we can. We live in Florida so it is a short drive for us. Then the day of the cruise we drive over to the port. But Disney has excellent transfers from WDW to the port, you could rent a town car that I believe may be a little cheaper then Disney's transfers. There are many options to choose from to get from WDW to the port. Have a great time on your cruise!!!

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are GOLD - Our 6th Disney Cruise - East Bound Panama Canal Cruise - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014
Our 7th Disney Cruise - "With Great Friends Cruise" - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - Nov 2015
davidls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
stmize
Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidls

My DW and I like to stay at WDW a day or two before the cruise. We feel like we get into the vacation mode faster this way. Plus we love to be at WDW every chance we can. We live in Florida so it is a short drive for us. Then the day of the cruise we drive over to the port. But Disney has excellent transfers from WDW to the port, you could rent a town car that I believe may be a little cheaper then Disney's transfers. There are many options to choose from to get from WDW to the port. Have a great time on your cruise!!!
We stay at Wdw too.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
rthomasson
Earning My Ears

We are staying at WDW and using DCL Transfers.
rthomasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

Depends on how far in advance we can arrive...Either one of the DW resorts or Hyatt MCO.

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/]2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani, 8/2014 RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #10
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew
As for cost effective, it depends how many people are going. If there're only two its hard to beat the DCL transportation. If more, then a rental or town car may be more cost effective, but at the cost of time.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: