Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Who are you, and what are you doing in my yearbook?

My kids were looking at their high school yearbooks, and both commented that there were kids in their class they had never seen, nor heard of.
Flashed back to my own high school days and remember that happening then too.
My kids had about 250 kids in their graduating class, I had about 400. But I went to a very small, church run private high school my freshman year with 40 students in the class, and poof, yearbook comes out, and there are 3 kids we didn't know. In that case, they were students at a satellite campus 100 miles from here, that we didn't even know existed.

Did this happen to anyone else?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
DaisyLynn
DIS Veteran

Yes...every year there were kids that I had never seen or heard of. Then there were "announcement name" kids. They were the ones who were always called to the office, but who were never seen. At least by me and my friends. You'd know the name, but didn't see the face until the yearbook.

I graduated with a class of about 450.

DaisyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Nope. I knew every single person from 7-12th grade (and a lot of the elementary, too).

My graduating class only had 36 people in it. The entire 9-12 was less than 200 people.

It was a public school, too.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Absolutely...my class had over 350 in it so there were plenty of people I never saw/met before.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

I graduated with a class of 1000, there were hundreds of kids I never met.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

No. 156 kids in my class. I just planned & held our 30th class reunion & knew them all. No unknown kids in our yearbook either. We even were able to find kids who had dropped out or moved away near the end & invited them too.

Also knew most kids from grades above & below us.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
Yes, same here.

DD just graduated in May and actually posted on her FB shortly after about how many kids she'd never heard of - she was in a class of 510 at a public school.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
I understand not meeting them, but did you at least recognize them after 4 years of going to school together?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyLynn View Post
Yes...every year there were kids that I had never seen or heard of. Then there were "announcement name" kids. They were the ones who were always called to the office, but who were never seen. At least by me and my friends. You'd know the name, but didn't see the face until the yearbook.

I graduated with a class of about 450.
I graduated in a small private HS w/ a class of 110 and knew everyone.

DH was also an unintentional? "announcement name" kid in his class of just over 400 by virtue of having such a common first/last name combo that was shared by four others in the school -- one of which was an intentional announcement name kid on a daily basis, a fact which DH & the other 3 unintentional announcement name kids took as a free pass out of class.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

My graduating class had about 250 kids in it. I think there were a few that I never really "crossed paths" with during our four years, but I think I could put faces with names for everyone.

ETA: However, I wouldn't recognize them all *now.* I've gotten a few Facebook friend requests from people whom I don't recognize, but share a bunch of mutual friends from high school. I have to dig out the yearbook and then think "Oh yeah, that guy!"
Old 10-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

....there were a couple of [male]students that I didn't recognize either, but I think it's because they didn't use Just For Men at the time.....
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #12
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

I graduated in a class of 9 (super small private school). I don't talk to any of them now (it's been 12 years).

My mom on the other hand graduated 45 years ago and has a group of 8 ladies that she graduated with and they get together monthly.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #13
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

There were 401 in my graduating class. I did not know all of them.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I graduated from a class of 85 in my high school. I knew who everyone was even if I didn't know most of them well.

My husbands high school graduating class was around 400. He had no idea who quite a few of the students were and many of them he'd never even seen around the high school. It was a decent size.

My son is going to a high school where the graduating class will be around 800 I think. This high school is huge. He doesn't recognize tons of the students in his grade in the school. The high school is 3 stories and it seems like depending on which direction you are specializing in (he is concentrating on the computer end), will depend on which students you see based on the floor the classes are on and get to know. It's very interesting.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #15
Jaya
DIS Veteran

There were 625 in my class and we're getting ready for our 50th reunion in a couple of years. Now I keep getting death notices from the "class historian" for people I don't remember (and my memory is pretty good). My late husband used to brag that he graduated 12th in his class but then he'd admit that there were only 13 in the class. Better yet, a friend and his twin brother graduated 1st and 3rd in their class. Their cousin was 2nd. Size of the graduating class: 3.
Jaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: