Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

Ear trouble when flying

We leave for Florida in 6 days!
I have flown several times, but it has been over 10 years since our last flight. The last couple of times we flew, my ears popped so badly and were plugged for 2 days afterwards. I don't think I suffered pain, but it was a long time ago and I can't really recall for sure. I bought ear planes from Walmart hoping this would help this problem. Anybody else tried these? Anybody else have these issues? If so, any tips? I concerned about our kids too.
Chewing gum, and swallowing didn't seem to help too much.
Any tips???
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Sheaboys
DIS Veteran

I took a sudafed. My ears and sinuses have never bothered me, ever while flying or really in general. However, in August, my flight was horrible. I was fine going up, leveling out, but about 1 hour into the flight, my ears and sinuses were killing me, throbbing. So painful.

Once we began to come down, the pressure was letting up, and by the time we got in the airport I was fine. So on the flight home, I took sudafed. It helped, the pressure was not so bad as flying down.

Our August 2012 Free Dining Review. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2990330

Mom to 5 little boys
WDW-various days during the 70's and 80's as a child. DisneyLand-July 1991, DisneyWorld-April 1992 offsite
Caribbean Beach-June 1995 honeymoon, All Stars Sports-December 1998, All Star Movies- November 2000 (me, my mom and the 2 boys) DTD Hotel - May 2001, All Star Movies-September 2001 (me, the 2 boys and my girlfriend), Disneyland-December 2003 (us and the 3 boys), POR-October 2nd-8th 2005 (us and the 3 boys)Caribbean Beach-August 25, 2012-September 2,2012
POR-August 2014 (16th-26th)

(dh43) (me 43) (16)(14)(12)(8) (5)
Sheaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

My ENT told me to use Neosynephrine prior to flight. It worked pretty good. I have Meniere's, too, so I watch carefully. Earplanes did nothing....Get a bottle of water and drink.

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly girls View Post
We leave for Florida in 6 days!
I have flown several times, but it has been over 10 years since our last flight. The last couple of times we flew, my ears popped so badly and were plugged for 2 days afterwards. I don't think I suffered pain, but it was a long time ago and I can't really recall for sure. I bought ear planes from Walmart hoping this would help this problem. Anybody else tried these? Anybody else have these issues? If so, any tips? I concerned about our kids too.
Chewing gum, and swallowing didn't seem to help too much.
Any tips???
I use Earplanes (or the CVS version of them) every time that I fly and they help tremendously. My daughter's boyfriend also has difficulty with his ears when he flies. He didn't have a pair our trip to Punta Cana and the poor guy was in agony when we descended. We couldn't find Earplanes but we did buy a set of those earplugs that you wear to keep water out of the ears and he had a much more comfortable trip on the way home.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Exclamation

earplanes are not the same as regular ear plug and they ARE worth every penny.

Put them in the ears jut before boarding. Gently pull the top of the ear to place in the ear canal gently (dont just push them in)....I would also suggest some type of decongestant for anyone that suffers (or you know they have ear issues)....
I use them for every flight and personally use a new pair for each segment....which is not necessary, but i have Very very sensitive ears with narrow tubes...I have had to be on pain meds and a dr visit due to major ear issue after a flight, pre earplanes...

Bring gum regardless, or a lollipop to suck on for kids...
Try and not get too concerned....i think that if you Plan ahead of time, itll be fine....have a great time!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
720L
DIS Veteran

Earplanes work good, but if you have allergies or even the beginning of a cold, they won't stop the plugged ear thing. I take Sudafed or Benedryl before flying if I'm the least bit stuffy. I also bring Sudafed with me, my Dr said that will help unplug the plugged up ear. Sometimes it takes a couple days to help unplug. Very annoying!
(1988&1992ffsite) (1995:Dixie Landings) (1998: ASM) (2001:Disneyland) (2002:ASM) (2003 & 2004:Disneyland) (2005: POP) (2006: AKL & POP) (2007:POP,BC,CR) (2008: POP,AKL,CSR,ASMU,AKL) (2009: CSR ,POP,POLY,GF) (2010: DISNEYLAND DLH in June/ POP & BC in July/ POFQ for Thanksgiving) (April 1-8, 2011 AKL)(June 2011 POFQ)(October 13-16, 2011 Boardwalk) (June 2012 Disneyland/Carsland opening day!) (July 22, 2012-August 3, 2012 Disneyworld CSR & BC)(Christmas 2012 AOA)(:Spring Break April 2013 POP) (June 2013 AKL)(Thanksgiving 2013 Nov. 21-24 POP)(AKL!! June 2014)(AOA: October 2014)
720L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1tinkfans View Post
earplanes are not the same as regular ear plug and they ARE worth every penny.
Yes! I did not mean to imply that they were. We were in a foreign airport and we were trying to find something - ANYTHING - that would make our daughter's boyfriend more comfortable on the 4-1/2 hour flight home. The item we purchased was not Earplanes and the package said that they were for use on aircraft and in water. The woman behind the counter assured me that they would work for what we needed. I would not recommend using ordinary earplugs to prevent ear pain due to changes in cabin pressure.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
2binak
DVC Owner

Another vote for Earplanes. I've had ear pain as much as 24+ hours after landing but never have a problem when I use Earplanes.

11/90 Offsite, 11/97 PO, 5/99 DL, 1/00 CS, 1/04 PC, 12/05 SSR, 5/07 AKL, 10/08 SSR, 5/09 POFQ, 11/09 AKV Kidani, 11/10 AKV Kidani, 10/11 BWV, 10/12 BWV, 11/13 AKV Kidani, 5/14 BLT, 11/14 BWV
2binak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

I've flown with a cold before (not fun) and was fine -- I was just sure to drug up with sudafed before flying and used EarPlanes. I have to use the children's size because my ear canal is smaller.

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
roscoepc1
DIS Veteran

Take an anti-histamine before the flight, and suck your thumb if you get pains. Works like nothing else.

We found that out the hard way on the way home from Disney with our kids....our oldest dd had an AWFUL earache from it (earplanes were useless) so in desperation I told her to duck her head so no one would see and suck her thumb for all she was worth. It worked right away, and now it's what we all do!

roscoepc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: