Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
patlakpok
Earning My Ears

Crowd forecast for Dec. 6-8. Why so crowded?

Okay, so we're surprising my daughter with a trip for her 5th birthday, and I just checked the Touring Plans crowd forecast for Dec. 6th through 8th, and it's an 8 out of 10! Why is it so huge? We thought it would be a light crowd that week.

Is it Candlelight Processional? If so, how does that affect the crowds? I know the schedule is different this year, but any guesses?

Thanks!
patlakpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
DisneyJulieZ
I've fallen in love...with Disneyland!!

not sure...sorry :-(
1st family trip to DL--October 2008; 2nd family trip to DL--March 2009 for Daddy's b-day!; 3rd family trip to DL--October 2010 to see Jack Skellington again!; 4th family trip to DL--December 2010 for our 1st Christmas-time visit to DL! ; 5th family trip to DL--May 2011 to celebrate DS's b-day & school being done--using our winning FP's! 6th family trip--1st trip to DWorld!!--October 2011 7th family trip to DL--Oct. 2012--1st Trick or Treat Party! 8th family trip to DL--Oct. 2014--1st time staying onsite!
DisneyJulieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
ttig34
Mouseketeer

Maybe because it was pretty crowded same time last year. I recall one day last year at that same time, the Pirates line went all the way to the Golden Horseshoe Saloon. To me that is crowded. My friend went the week prior and said the crowds were really light.
ttig34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
darlenesmommy
Mouseketeer

We went last year for my daughter's 5th birthday. We were there Dec 5th to the 9th (it was a m-f). I did not not fell it was super busy. A lot if what we did were walk on or no more then a 10 minute wait. I'm not sure what you looked at so can't help there and have no clue what's going on. This was just our experience last year.
darlenesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
sheetz
DIS Veteran

Remember that Touring Plans is often wrong so you shouldn't automatically assume it will be very crowded.
sheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
Royal Consort
And I thought a Park Hopper was just a Kangaroo in a native reserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetz View Post
Remember that Touring Plans is often wrong so you shouldn't automatically assume it will be very crowded.
I always read here that the first week of December is usually much quieter than the rest of the of the xmas season. I'm glad I didn't sign up for touring plans if they're continually incorrect.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Not saying it will or won't be busy, but as others have noted, Touring Plans' predictions for Disneyland Resort are quite often incorrect. Even if you go to their main website, Disneyland appears to be a footnote (I could only find it by going to the very last part of their menu, "More," and selecting Disneyland at the very end of that dropdown).

Thus far, they have not shown to be accurate for Disneyland. Maybe in a year or so they might get their act together, but right now they don't seem to be good at guessing what will happen when things change at DL....and there sure have been a lot of changes at DL lately.
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
lesroi
Glad to see it is up and running
That sure is a kick in the pants!
MY DAD makes the best yellow cake with chocolate frosting.

It's also right before the Wonder's Panama Canal cruise and I am sure a lot of us will be at the Land, LOL... Though I can't imagine that's the only reason. There aren't *that* many people on the cruise!

Tracy
Old 10-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
Mel522
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Consort View Post
I always read here that the first week of December is usually much quieter than the rest of the of the xmas season. I'm glad I didn't sign up for touring plans if they're continually incorrect.
That might have something to do with why it's more busy. Every site I've ever read about Disney says the first week of December has lighter crowds and therefore is an excellent time to see the Christmas decorations. Apparently everyone is following the advice.
Mel522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
Ancient Purple
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel522 View Post
That might have something to do with why it's more busy. Every site I've ever read about Disney says the first week of December has lighter crowds and therefore is an excellent time to see the Christmas decorations. Apparently everyone is following the advice.
This reminds me of the old Yogi Berra quote:

Quote:
"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
Ancient Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
sheetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel522 View Post
But you're assuming TP's predictions are correct when they've been wrong many times before.

I don't understand why people put so much stock in what TP predicts when they've been wrong so often.
sheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
DLmama
Mouseketeer

We will be there this year on those same dates. We go every year that weekend (Thursday-Sunday) and it's usually not too crowded on Thursday & Friday. Saturday is by far the most crowded, so we usually hit Fantasyland at park opening, or EMH/MM if offered and spend the rest of the day watching parades, fireworks & Fantasmic.

Not sure how Carsland & CP are going to change that this year. We'll just have to wait and see. :-)
Old 10-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
DollBabyKG
Mouseketeer

It's probably because it's on a weekend. We went Dec 5-11 last year, and it was fabulous every day until after 5:00 pm, and on Saturday. The weekdays were REALLY reasonable, we hardly waited for anything. Saturday was pretty busy, but still nowhere near as busy as July!! The snow on Main St was SUPER magical! I wish we could go again the same week this year, but we're going 3 weeks earlier.
DollBabyKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
Rainasunshine
Some say it's all a dream, but I know, I know that it is my reality(:

We went last year the 12-16th and it was so empty, ill have to see if I have any pictures. But we walked on to everything multiple times got amazing pictures with no one in them and had no lines for characters. However, Friday was terrible rides went from no waits to 120 min. So I think it's just the weekends that are really busy until closer to Christmas.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: