Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
pampam
DIS Veteran

What do I need to know about a Mac computer?

I know very little about computers. I have a Windows Vista desk model that I play games on, google and Dis. I've recently recieved a sum of money that I think I would like to buy Mac notebook or computer with. I've never used a Mac. Is there much difference? Will I get much support from Apple with my questions? I'm told they are a supperior computer, lightweight, and not so prone to viruses, but I'm sure there are other things I need to know. I tried surfing on my cell phone, but the screen is so small, I get frustrated, and I think I would like something more portable.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
bunkkinsmom
No 9, so it's all good
frankly I thought they were pretty goo

Depending on what you need, I would start with an IPad. We are mac people and have several. I got my Dad to switch over and he started with an IPad, moved to a desktop mini mac, and are now looking at Laptops. An IPad would give you that mobility and also get you used to the differences in how Mac's operate. If you wanted to go straight to a laptop, I don't think you would have any problems, but it will take some getting used to.

I personally believe they are a superior product, but YMMV. My husband works in video production and for sure Mac is a more stable platform. Most viruses are built for the Windows platform because more people have windows and the purpose is to infect as many computers as possible. Macs CAN get viruses, they are just less likely to. IMHO, they are more user friendly. I have a really hard time operating PC's now, it seems like too many steps to get to where I want to go.

As far as support, IMHO Apple is the tops.... period. I have used support several times on many many different levels and have always been impressed. The retail stores also have classes and one on one help available.

Good luck deciding!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2865060

Childhood Trips: Every other year from age 4-14 offsiteAdultTrip:1995 offsiteFamily Trips: November 01 Coronado Springs (pre-kids): Jan 09 OKW Jan 10 OKW : Jan 11 OKW : Jan 12 POR: Jan 14 CSR
bunkkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Laugh O. Grams

DIS Veteran

Agree on getting an IPad to start, then seeing where it goes from there. My wife is a long time Apple aficionado and she swears by them, but I grew up on PCs, do zero graphic design work (where Apple flourishes) and have no interest in learning the nuances of a working on a Mac.

I just don't have the time, energy or interest to make the switch, and tbh, I don't think converting would make my computer experience better or worse, so what's the point?
Laugh O. Grams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
mr.bungle
DIS Veteran

I'm pro Mac and pro Apple but I have to say, if you're only toodling around on the net and playing some games, you may not want to spend the money on a Mac. You can get good deals on refurbished mac's. I agree with the others who say to start with an ipad. Then progress to a used macbook air or something.

You can put microsoft office on a Mac and you can also run a program that allows you to run windows on your mac. Probably more than what you need, though.

If you do get an ipad, make it easier on yourself and grab one of these:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet...keyboard-cover
mr.bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
mowatm
Earning My Ears

The only thing you need to know is that once you buy one, you will never go back to PC!!! I love mine!

Past Disney Trips:
1987 (off property), 1989 (off property), December 2004 (off property), December 2005 (off property), March 2009 (All Star Sports), December 2009 (Pop Century)

mowatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Terapin
DIS Veteran

I switched over years ago and love it. No problems and adjusted quickly. I primarily use mine to surf the net and usual stuff. Love the durability and the Mac support for the few problems I have had.

I switched my mom over and she is hooked. She was very worried about the learning curve but found it no problem at all and is super impressed that she doesn't have to go through another crappy PC.

My DH is in IT and network support for PCs, and teaches computer stuff at the college level, and switched over to Mac for his personal stuff for the most part, though still uses a PC running Linux. He won't touch Windows with a 10-foot pole if he can avoid it.

It isn't that Mac is so good, it is just that the PCs are so bad. They are built better, and suffer fewer problems. They sync particularly well with other Apple products. Even my cameras sync effortlessly with Mac, where with the PC it was clunky.

When I have photos on Facebook that I want to copy to my computer, I just click on the photo and drag it over my iPhoto icon at the bottom of the screen, and voila! It launches and saves my photo in seconds. No fuss.

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Terapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
monkeybug
I feel safer when I know where they are than I do when they're crawlin' around unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowatm View Post
The only thing you need to know is that once you buy one, you will never go back to PC!!! I love mine!
Yes!
I got a laptop over 2 years ago and it has never once had a problem. This, despite the fact that my three children abuse it on a regular basis. It has been spilled on, dropped, slammed shut, and even jumped up and down on by a 2 year old, and it still works perfectly every time.
In my experience the best thing about Macs is that they are very straight forward and easy to learn. My mom, who has always shunned technology and has to ask my dad for help just to turn on the tv, played with my iphone and macbook when she was visiting and caught on very quickly. This annoyed the heck out of my dad who is a professor at the local college (teaches computer classes) and has tried for years to teach her how to use a pc. She now owns an ipad and an iphone and knows her way around both! She thinks she's a technology guru now. (which just annoys my poor dad even more)
monkeybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
sunshine1178
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.
sunshine1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Quote:
I would whole-heartedly disagree. I use a mac at school, and have had one here at home. When the time came to buy a new one here at home, I went back to the PC. For what I use a computer for at home, a mac is WAY over-priced.

If the OP is only using her computer for some online games and Dis-ing, a mac is not worth the price she's going to pay for it.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

I also love macs, and everything Apple. I do disagree with the other posters on saying to get an iPad first. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPad. I just think that it will not really help you to transition to a Mac. The best way is to go to an Apple store and talk with somewhere there. Explain to them what you want to use it for and they will help you pick one that would be suitable. As another poster pointe out, Apple has workshops on how to use macs, along with their other products. The best thing is all of these workshops are free. When you purchase a new Mac, you can also pay a little extra for one on one service. I think it is $99. This is an excellent value. IMO, Apple has the best support out there. You really won't be sorry you bought one.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post
I also love macs, and everything Apple. I do disagree with the other posters on saying to get an iPad first. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPad. I just think that it will not really help you to transition to a Mac. The best way is to go to an Apple store and talk with somewhere there. Explain to them what you want to use it for and they will help you pick one that would be suitable. As another poster pointe out, Apple has workshops on how to use macs, along with their other products. The best thing is all of these workshops are free. When you purchase a new Mac, you can also pay a little extra for one on one service. I think it is $99. This is an excellent value. IMO, Apple has the best support out there. You really won't be sorry you bought one.
This is exactly what I was going to write.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
halfmonkey
Mouseketeer

So we're a switcher to Apple after many years of using Windows based machines. I too was worried about compatibility issues but it has turned out to be a non-issue as you can always download flash on the iMac. As for iphone and such, I don't think you can there so that might be an issue.

A couple of things worth pointing out if you didn't already know...

1. Apple makes the hardware and operating system and the benefit of this is that you know the computer system will work together. Keep in mind that Microsoft doesn't make any computers. They make the operating system and is stuck into a Dell or HP or Sony, etc.

2. Apple is not natrually resistant to viruses. It's just that programers and hackers don't necessariy hate Apple enough (just yet) to make viruses for Apple so although Apple computers can get infected, you're not as likely to. Also, since it's a closed system (refer to 1), Apple may issue patches and fixes if any breaches are detected on a large scale as was recently the case.

3. You can go to an Apple store and mess around with the products and also ask them for help. The after sales support is great and you can also buy an extended after sales support.

4. Some software is not fully compatible with Apple and others are but always get updated after Windows based machines get the updates. I've just learned to live with this. It's not a deal breaker.

5. iMac comes with a lot of useful software and again, because it's a closed system (refer to 1), if you have an ipad, iphone, or Apple devices, they all "talk" to each other and make the whole computer experience much more convenient and cool. e.g. having and ipad and iphone with iMac, you can sync your calendars across all devices via iCloud. Awesome.

6. There are many other benefits and of course disadvantages but the best thing about Apple and the pre-purchase process is they have Apple stores for you to test drive as many times as you want. I would highly recommend you get to a store and mess around with the machines.
halfmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
DMickey28
DIS Veteran
Comes from a very square 1950's Leave it to Beaver type family.
Kaboom! is my new best friend!

I had and iPhone and iPad for a year and then just ought a 27" iMac this past March. There was a big learning curve and at first I was doubting the purchase but I love it now and will never go back.
DS#1 Alexander Stephen 2.5
DS#2 Ryan Bradford Arrived 3.22.2010 @ 9:58AM 7lbs 13oz 20 inches
DMickey28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

What are you looking to do with the laptop?
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #15
pampam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
What are you looking to do with the laptop?
OP here.

Like I said, I don't do a lot with computers, just google, dis and games. There are a few sites I check each day, or radio stations I listen to, but I just putter. I was thinking of getting something and taking it on our next trip to WDW in Jan. I got a smartphone but it is a PITA because of the small screen, so for me it is just a phone. I like the idea of a keyboard too.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: