Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
clairedy6
Mouseketeer

Disney Magic Renovations

We will be cruising to Europe in July of 2013 on the Magic. I've heard that they've been renovating a few rooms here and there before the dry dock.. so when will the ship be going into dry dock? Will it be before or after our trip? Will they do any more renos before the dry dock/before July? Thanks.. any info would be appreciated
clairedy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

After.

My cruise is the first one after dry dock and it's October 20th. Not sure about anything done prior.
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
clairedy6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
After.

My cruise is the first one after dry dock and it's October 20th. Not sure about anything done prior.
Thanks, do you know what will be done to it?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Nope. And I REALLY want to know since I'll be on that cruise right after! I wish I knew when they'll make an announcement.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The Magic has several weeks of unscheduled time at the end of the Med cruises in 2013, which end with reservations for port in Madeira and Gibraltar. We are all guessing that this time will be dry dock.

On our last DCL cruise (Fantasy) the dining staff told us that the Magic was to have Topsiders remodeled into something resembling Cabanas and the housekeeping staff told us that all cabins were being gutted and completely refurbished. We did find this a little odd as on our 2011 Magic cruise they were swapping out bathtubs and other facilities in some cabins.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
clairedy6
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the info everyone! kind of wish these renovations were being done before our Med cruise, but oh well I'm sure the ship is still very beautiful! maybe those random cabin renovations I heard about will be finished by our trip..
Old 02-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
dgmommie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec
Nope. And I REALLY want to know since I'll be on that cruise right after! I wish I knew when they'll make an announcement.
We were on the Magic last week and spoke to an officer about the dry dock. He said anything out there in terms of renovations is just strictly rumor at this point, that no changes had been approved yet. He knew that for sure because his officer position was such that he would be one of the officers traveling and staying with the ship during dry dock and the return home overseeing the changes.
Feb. 1992 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Big Red Boat (Disney cruise), Nov. 2000 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Feb. 2002 - WDW All Star Sports, Polynesian, Sep. 2003 - WDW Polynesian, Dec. 2004 - WDW Pop Century, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Oct. 2005 - WDW Pop Century, May 2006 - Disneyland, Mar. 2007 - WDW Pop Century, WDW Coronado Springs, DCL Wonder, Nov. 2007 - DCL Wonder, Dec. 2008 - Disneyland, Dec. 2009 - DCL Wonder, Mar. 2011 - WDW Pop Century, DCL Dream, July 2012 - DCL Fantasy - GOLD CASTAWAY CLUB MEMBERS NOW!!!, Dec. 2012 - Disneyland, Feb. 2013 - DCL Magic, WDW (cruise stop), Mar. 2014 - DCL Fantasy
dgmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
tajz90
Mama D

I wish we would have new bedding for the Euro Cruises
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairedy6 View Post

We will be cruising to Europe in July of 2013 on the Magic. . .

Will they do any more renos before the dry dock/before July?
Years ago, I sailed on the Magic on the last cruise before a dry dock.

During that cruise, there was lots of prep-work done onboard, such as laying plywood on the floors and lining the elevators with plywood.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
clairedy6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
Years ago, I sailed on the Magic on the last cruise before a dry dock.

During that cruise, there was lots of prep-work done onboard, such as laying plywood on the floors and lining the elevators with plywood.

Woody
Uh oh, does that mean that there's going to be tons of construction and things closed during our cruise?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairedy6

Uh oh, does that mean that there's going to be tons of construction and things closed during our cruise?
I hope there is no prep work going on in July. That will make me sad ( and a little mad )
Old 11-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Since all of the Med cruises sail from Barcelona, it makes sense for them to drydock in Cadiz, Spain, rather than travel the other direction to Italy.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
smootenloopers
Works to Support Cruise Habit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
I hope there is no prep work going on in July. That will make me sad ( and a little mad )
They are pretty much always working on the ship. When I sailed in June, they were grinding above the lifeboates (run out the lifeboat, setup scaffolding, climb up and start grinding off every painted surface above your head) ALL DAY LONG every time we were in port (including embarkation day). Think metal jackhammer type vibrations which were impossible to drown out in my deck 8 cabin (3-4 decks up, depending how you count them). I did mention on my comment card that maybe in the future, they could alternate port and starboard to give folks a break!

So, they will be working and that work may or may not be noisy/disruptive. It might not have anything to do with the drydock. Might just be normal maintenance of a vessel continually exposed to the elements.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootenloopers

They are pretty much always working on the ship. When I sailed in June, they were grinding above the lifeboates (run out the lifeboat, setup scaffolding, climb up and start grinding off every painted surface above your head) ALL DAY LONG every time we were in port (including embarkation day). Think metal jackhammer type vibrations which were impossible to drown out in my deck 8 cabin (3-4 decks up, depending how you count them). I did mention on my comment card that maybe in the future, they could alternate port and starboard to give folks a break!

So, they will be working and that work may or may not be noisy/disruptive. It might not have anything to do with the drydock. Might just be normal maintenance of a vessel continually exposed to the elements.
Thanks! Yep, I expect normal, but I hope nothing is covered in plywood and carpets aren't ripped up
Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Please keep the beds that split!

Tags
disney cruise, disney magic, dry dock, renovations

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: