Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Heat on yet?

Just wondering. How cold does it have to get before you put your heat on? The high today is suppose to be 58 today. Down in the low 40's this evening. It is 61 in the house right. I am quite chilly but am trying to hold off as long as I can to keep my bill lower. My entire house is electric.

I've gone as far as to look around to see if any of my neighbors have smoke coming from their chimneys which would indicate they have their heat on. So far no evidence. Ah heck, I'm cold I will put it on this evening and just pay the bill as it comes in. Just wondering. Who else is putting their heat on or have you already?
Old 10-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Yep. Turned it on yesterday. Now I would keep it off but dh was COLD....
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

I can't fathom it..I am in the southwest and was just celebrating the fact that we are only supposed to get up to 91 today and I was able to open doors/windows this morning because the lows are finally below 80 overnight.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Our heat has been on for the last few weeks. That doesn't mean it runs all the time, but if it gets below 68 in the house, it will kick on.

Since we now have highs in the upper 40's during the day and low 30's at night, it kicks on a lot more frequently.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Our heat has been on for the last few weeks. That doesn't mean it runs all the time, but if it gets below 68 in the house, it will kick on.

LOL-- I am still running my air conditioning set at 60, no way ready for heat yet!
Old 10-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
LauraEadon

We try not to turn ours on until november- and I'm in upstate NY!!!

I HATE paying bills (not that I don't or can't, I just hate doing it!) so I always take the cheap way out. That's almost 200 dollars a month I save by not using heat/central air so I go as long as possible to turn them on and turn them off as early as possible (Usually late march or early april for heat).

We use several feather blankets until the heat goes on
LauraEadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Still in the 90's around here.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
LOL-- I am still running my air conditioning set at 60, no way ready for heat yet!
Residential AC's are not designed to cool a dwelling down to that temperature.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
No way would I set my a/c at 60, so we're even.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

I turned our furnace on for the first time this morning. Well, DH turned it on a few weeks ago to make sure it would work, as we didn't want any surprises with it not wanting to come on when we needed it...like this morning. It was in the 30's this morning so was pretty chilly in here.

Actually we've been running the electric heat in the family room and office for awhile. I turn it on in the morning for a couple of hours, turn it off for the rest of the day, then if we're home watching TV or a movie I'll turn it on for the evening as well.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Haven't shut off the AC yet. It was 100 on Tuesday. Cooling down, only supposed to be 78 today and about that for the next week. Waiting until it drops to about 70 before I start opening up the house. In a normal year.....which we haven't had in about 10 years......we can go from early October to just after Thanksgiving without any AC or Heat. Last 10 years we haven't had Spring or Fall, often went from running AC to Heat and back to AC again, can't remember that last time we had more than a day or two when it was nice enough to open up the house. But the coldest it normally gets here in winter is about 32.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
charming23
DIS Veteran

I have not turned on the heat yet. I just added a second blanket to the bed plus have been a little bit more bundled up while at home. It is just to early to turn it on here.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #13
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Our system is fully automatic (switches automatically based on temperature) so I don't know for sure, but unlikely down here yet
Old 10-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

We never actually turn it off since we don't have central air. We just turn the temp way down. I think it is set at 60 now.

It is currently 43 outside, I think the high today was 50. The windows were open all day. My wife just closed windows not too long ago and I just opened the door. It's getting hot in here. The thermostat in the hall reads 70, but as soon as you break the plane of walking into the living room, which is 3 feet from the thermostat, it feels about 5 degrees warmer.

It was getting quite chilly in the house by morning a few weeks ago because the AC unit was still in the window. Now that it is out and the window is sealed, the 3 year project of pulling siding off, reinsulating and resheathing, and stripping all the paint off the cedar (which is why it was a 3 year project) is really paying off now. We would have had the heat turned up a few weeks ago by now, but with the new insulation, it isn't needed yet.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #15
akdllover
Earning My Ears

Been getting high 20's to low 40's here at night. Have had the heat on a few times, but not much. I like sleeping in a cool house at night.
akdllover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: