Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
cmesq61
DIS Veteran
 
cmesq61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 792

Just back--Few Thoughts/Observation

Just back from another awesome trip. I am in a scooter/ECV, DBF walks. Branched out from the Poly to the BWI. DBFis so good to me and really wanted to try the BWI. Very lovely theming and decorating. The CMs were great, and housekeeping was FAR superior to the Poly. The hotel is just not the best for people with mobility issues. The only way in from the Boardwalk and EP if you can't is up an elevator. there is a single elevator on the Inn side and a single elevator on the DVC side. You have to go up to the 2nd floor, and then switch to another elevator to go to your room. It was not too busy last week, but I suspect that the single elevator could be a bigger hassle when the hotel is busy.

Busses: had no trouble with the busses. Drivers were great and people moved to let me on w/o staring daggers or grumbling.

Boats: Not so easy. Although the boat staff told people with carriages to collpase them on the boat, no one did. And, of course, all the carriages were in the handicapped space. So i was often stuck in the aisle--so unsafe--and DBF could never be with me cause all the parents w/ the carriages and their other children took up all the space.

Restrooms: time after time after time, I entered the restroom in my scooter, found multiple stalls vacant, and the sole handicapped stall big enough for the scooter occuppied by a woman with a baby carriage.
I suspect I am going to take heat for this, but when did children in a carriage become a handicap? I raised children and it was in no way easy to manage the carriage and bathrooms and busses, etc. I am thankful every day that i did not get sick until my kinds were in middle school. That difficulty, however, does not give you the right to do whatever you want whenever you want. And these women appear to not see anything wrong with their actions. Such a terrible example for the children--OK kids, you only have to follow the rules and/or show compassion to others when it is convenient for you.

Funny-my mother's generation, my generation, and all of those before, managed to raise children, use carriages, take vacations involving trains, planes, busses and autos, without using a handicapped bathroom or seating area. And we survived. And our children survived. And we even thrived.
__________________

Sept '13 DCL; Jan '13 The Poly; Sept '12 BWI; Nov & Sept '11 The Poly; June '09, The Poly; Sept '08 The Poly; Jan '05, DCL
cmesq61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
disney david
DIS Veteran
 
disney david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hartsdale, ny
Posts: 3,539

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmesq61
Just back from another awesome trip. I am in a scooter/ECV, DBF walks. Branched out from the Poly to the BWI. DBFis so good to me and really wanted to try the BWI. Very lovely theming and decorating. The CMs were great, and housekeeping was FAR superior to the Poly. The hotel is just not the best for people with mobility issues. The only way in from the Boardwalk and EP if you can't is up an elevator. there is a single elevator on the Inn side and a single elevator on the DVC side. You have to go up to the 2nd floor, and then switch to another elevator to go to your room. It was not too busy last week, but I suspect that the single elevator could be a bigger hassle when the hotel is busy.

Busses: had no trouble with the busses. Drivers were great and people moved to let me on w/o staring daggers or grumbling.

Boats: Not so easy. Although the boat staff told people with carriages to collpase them on the boat, no one did. And, of course, all the carriages were in the handicapped space. So i was often stuck in the aisle--so unsafe--and DBF could never be with me cause all the parents w/ the carriages and their other children took up all the space.

Restrooms: time after time after time, I entered the restroom in my scooter, found multiple stalls vacant, and the sole handicapped stall big enough for the scooter occuppied by a woman with a baby carriage.
I suspect I am going to take heat for this, but when did children in a carriage become a handicap? I raised children and it was in no way easy to manage the carriage and bathrooms and busses, etc. I am thankful every day that i did not get sick until my kinds were in middle school. That difficulty, however, does not give you the right to do whatever you want whenever you want. And these women appear to not see anything wrong with their actions. Such a terrible example for the children--OK kids, you only have to follow the rules and/or show compassion to others when it is convenient for you.

Funny-my mother's generation, my generation, and all of those before, managed to raise children, use carriages, take vacations involving trains, planes, busses and autos, without using a handicapped bathroom or seating area. And we survived. And our children survived. And we even thrived.
I love the boar walk inn and yes their are small times where the elevator gets busy but for the most part it dose not. Since it out o the way you really just get people who need to use it. What other problems mobility did you have I any I also did te ms and house keeping better their. I also use to stay at poly but after a bad stay I tried bwi an nvr been back to poly. I go three to four times a year and always stay their or a split stay between cr.

For the boats I wish then an monorail would follow te buses an have them folded before getting on. But since those two are not regulated by dot well atleast not yet for monorails but since teir no law right know they can't. Unless Disney makes it a policy.
__________________
www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
jaminmd
DIS Veteran
 
jaminmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,581

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmesq61 View Post
Restrooms: time after time after time, I entered the restroom in my scooter, found multiple stalls vacant, and the sole handicapped stall big enough for the scooter occuppied by a woman with a baby carriage.
I suspect I am going to take heat for this, but when did children in a carriage become a handicap? I raised children and it was in no way easy to manage the carriage and bathrooms and busses, etc. I am thankful every day that i did not get sick until my kinds were in middle school. That difficulty, however, does not give you the right to do whatever you want whenever you want. And these women appear to not see anything wrong with their actions. Such a terrible example for the children--OK kids, you only have to follow the rules and/or show compassion to others when it is convenient for you.

Funny-my mother's generation, my generation, and all of those before, managed to raise children, use carriages, take vacations involving trains, planes, busses and autos, without using a handicapped bathroom or seating area. And we survived. And our children survived. And we even thrived.
When my daughter used a carriage, I took her into the large stalls. What is a mother supposed to do, leave her infant outside the stall while she urinates? No way in heck I'd do that.

Did you have to wait for an extended period of time to get into that stall? If not, don't judge. They, too, have a right to use that stall. A super-morbidly obese person may need it, too, and that isn't a handicap. Those stalls aren't just for scooters and wheelchairs.

Being an overly judgmental person is a pretty poor example for kids, too.
jaminmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran
 
ilovemk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,433

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmesq61 View Post
Just back from another awesome trip. I am in a scooter/ECV, DBF walks. Branched out from the Poly to the BWI. DBFis so good to me and really wanted to try the BWI. Very lovely theming and decorating. The CMs were great, and housekeeping was FAR superior to the Poly. The hotel is just not the best for people with mobility issues. The only way in from the Boardwalk and EP if you can't is up an elevator. there is a single elevator on the Inn side and a single elevator on the DVC side. You have to go up to the 2nd floor, and then switch to another elevator to go to your room. It was not too busy last week, but I suspect that the single elevator could be a bigger hassle when the hotel is busy.

Busses: had no trouble with the busses. Drivers were great and people moved to let me on w/o staring daggers or grumbling.

Boats: Not so easy. Although the boat staff told people with carriages to collpase them on the boat, no one did. And, of course, all the carriages were in the handicapped space. So i was often stuck in the aisle--so unsafe--and DBF could never be with me cause all the parents w/ the carriages and their other children took up all the space.

Restrooms: time after time after time, I entered the restroom in my scooter, found multiple stalls vacant, and the sole handicapped stall big enough for the scooter occuppied by a woman with a baby carriage.
I suspect I am going to take heat for this, but when did children in a carriage become a handicap? I raised children and it was in no way easy to manage the carriage and bathrooms and busses, etc. I am thankful every day that i did not get sick until my kinds were in middle school. That difficulty, however, does not give you the right to do whatever you want whenever you want. And these women appear to not see anything wrong with their actions. Such a terrible example for the children--OK kids, you only have to follow the rules and/or show compassion to others when it is convenient for you.

Funny-my mother's generation, my generation, and all of those before, managed to raise children, use carriages, take vacations involving trains, planes, busses and autos, without using a handicapped bathroom or seating area. And we survived. And our children survived. And we even thrived.
Boat: The area is open. We have stood in it before. How was your being in the aisle more dangerous than having your chain in a large space? Unlike the buses, they do not secure the wheelchairs on the boats. DH and I have to split up and, gasp, not sit by each other all the time. Why not have your DBF stand behind you so you could be together?

Restroom: They are handicapped accessible not handicapped reserved. If I enter and all stalls are open with nobody behind me, then I have my pick and I can pick the handicapped one. If I am in a line, and all stalls are used, I will take the next one available when it is my turn. If a wheelchair is behind me or a person or two back, then I will let them go.
__________________
What does $3.00 ham have to do with Mexico?
ilovemk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?
 
buffettgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: GreatWoods parking lot.
Posts: 3,131

Only non-handicap people have babies?
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
jujube
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,575

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmesq61 View Post
Just back from another awesome trip. I am in a scooter/ECV, DBF walks. Branched out from the Poly to the BWI. DBFis so good to me and really wanted to try the BWI. Very lovely theming and decorating. The CMs were great, and housekeeping was FAR superior to the Poly. The hotel is just not the best for people with mobility issues. The only way in from the Boardwalk and EP if you can't is up an elevator. there is a single elevator on the Inn side and a single elevator on the DVC side. You have to go up to the 2nd floor, and then switch to another elevator to go to your room. It was not too busy last week, but I suspect that the single elevator could be a bigger hassle when the hotel is busy.

Busses: had no trouble with the busses. Drivers were great and people moved to let me on w/o staring daggers or grumbling.

Boats: Not so easy. Although the boat staff told people with carriages to collpase them on the boat, no one did. And, of course, all the carriages were in the handicapped space. So i was often stuck in the aisle--so unsafe--and DBF could never be with me cause all the parents w/ the carriages and their other children took up all the space.

Restrooms: time after time after time, I entered the restroom in my scooter, found multiple stalls vacant, and the sole handicapped stall big enough for the scooter occuppied by a woman with a baby carriage.
I suspect I am going to take heat for this, but when did children in a carriage become a handicap? I raised children and it was in no way easy to manage the carriage and bathrooms and busses, etc. I am thankful every day that i did not get sick until my kinds were in middle school. That difficulty, however, does not give you the right to do whatever you want whenever you want. And these women appear to not see anything wrong with their actions. Such a terrible example for the children--OK kids, you only have to follow the rules and/or show compassion to others when it is convenient for you.

Funny-my mother's generation, my generation, and all of those before, managed to raise children, use carriages, take vacations involving trains, planes, busses and autos, without using a handicapped bathroom or seating area. And we survived. And our children survived. And we even thrived.
The handicap stalls are handicapped accessible not handicapped only.

Are you're saying that there should be no handicapped restroom stalls? At one time there were no larger stalls at all for those in wheelchairs. Nor were there special seating areas.

Last edited by jujube; 10-06-2012 at 02:00 PM.
jujube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO
 
Talking Hands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pooh's Thoughtful Place AKA SE Fla
Posts: 10,161

Yes the handicapped stalls are handicapped accessible and not handicapped only but if other stalls are available it is only courteous to leave the handicapped stalled for those who are handicapped. And to the person who said morbid obesity is not a handicap, it is definitely a handicap.
__________________

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
jujube
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
Yes the handicapped stalls are handicapped accessible and not handicapped only but if other stalls are available it is only courteous to leave the handicapped stalled for those who are handicapped. And to the person who said morbid obesity is not a handicap, it is definitely a handicap.
I don't agree. If there's no one in the restroom, I'm going to use whichever stall I prefer.
The American Medical Association voted that obesity shoud not be considered a handicap. These are doctors. I would think they know better than lawmakers what the definition of obesity is. Of course, the courts have ruled that it is a handicap.
The United States has the highest ranking of obesity in the world. 30% of citizens are obese. It's hard to believe that almost 100 million people have an underlying medical condition which would cause them to be obese.
jujube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO
 
Talking Hands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pooh's Thoughtful Place AKA SE Fla
Posts: 10,161

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujube View Post
I don't agree. If there's no one in the restroom, I'm going to use whichever stall I prefer.
The American Medical Association voted that obesity shoud not be considered a handicap. These are doctors. I would think they know better than lawmakers what the definition of obesity is. Of course, the courts have ruled that it is a handicap.
The United States has the highest ranking of obesity in the world. 30% of citizens are obese. It's hard to believe that almost 100 million people have an underlying medical condition which would cause them to be obese.
I said MORBID OBESITY is a handicap, not simple obesity. There is a big difference in being obese from over eating and being morbidly obese.
Well I will remember that while I am trying to get from my wheelchair to the toilet with the door open because it can't be closed and I fall and break another bone. While there may be no one visible at the moment they may be just around the corner and desparately needing that handicapped stall
__________________

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
intheshadows
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 49

Wow, for a board where people often talk about invisible disabilities and how Disney accommodates them it seems like no one considered that perhaps someone needs grab bars, and they just happen to have a stroller.

C'mon guys, you're better than this.

intheshadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
jujube
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
I said MORBID OBESITY is a handicap, not simple obesity. There is a big difference in being obese from over eating and being morbidly obese.
Well I will remember that while I am trying to get from my wheelchair to the toilet with the door open because it can't be closed and I fall and break another bone. While there may be no one visible at the moment they may be just around the corner and desparately needing that handicapped stall
6% are morbidly obese or 18,695,515.2. What causes morbid obesity?

Last edited by jujube; 10-06-2012 at 06:50 PM.
jujube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
cmesq61
DIS Veteran
 
cmesq61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 792

Thank you all for your comments. They've been very enlightening.
__________________

Sept '13 DCL; Jan '13 The Poly; Sept '12 BWI; Nov & Sept '11 The Poly; June '09, The Poly; Sept '08 The Poly; Jan '05, DCL
cmesq61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
POOHsie
DIS Veteran
 
POOHsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheeling, WV
Posts: 5,060

cmesq61, I use my own scooter and have encountered the tie-ups for the HA stall in the rest room. What works best for me is to use the companion bathroom instead. They are usually located outside between the mens room and the ladies room. Like the HA stall, the companion bathroom is not exclusive to one type of situation. The room inside to maneuver your scooter is very welcome. The companion bathrooms aren't everywhere a restroom is. Disney's Park Brochures for disabled guests show their locations.
__________________
Bay Lake Tower | Port Orleans Riverside | Port Orleans French Quarter | Caribbean Beach | Coronado Springs | Cabins at Ft Wilderness | Pop Century | All Star Movies | WDW Dolphin | WDW Swan |
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran
 
EastYorkDisneyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East York (Toronto), Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,712

This thread made me think of something I saw at a local mall this afternoon. There were about three groups of people with strollers getting on an elevator and right beside them was someone in a wheelchair. Now I can understand that the people with the strollers want to/ need to get down to the next level, but I think they should have let the person in the wheelchair on first.
__________________
Heading West for DPN WestFest 2010 - TR underway F & F at the DLR! Fun and planing for DPN WestFest 2011

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #15
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?
 
buffettgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: GreatWoods parking lot.
Posts: 3,131

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
This thread made me think of something I saw at a local mall this afternoon. There were about three groups of people with strollers getting on an elevator and right beside them was someone in a wheelchair. Now I can understand that the people with the strollers want to/ need to get down to the next level, but I think they should have let the person in the wheelchair on first.
Why?
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.