Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
andyman8
DIS Veteran

HHN Help

I pretty much "know it all" about WDW and have been to UOR many times. One thing I've never done is HHN.

Well, the kids have two days off in two weeks and we were thinking of taking a 3 night trip to PBH. We already have reservations but still need to buy tickets. The kids have expressed much interest in HHN. I understand the basic premise of it but was wondering the details? How many haunted houses are there? Where are they? What are no scare zones? Are rides open during it? Do I need a TP or Express Pass for it? And is there an altered version of the Cinematic Spectacular they show?

Thanks!
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
xApril
DIS Veteran

The HHN website should help you out bunches: http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/orlando/index.html

There are seven houses. Some are in soundstages at the front, a few are at Sprung Tents in the back, one is in the parade building, and one is in the queue for Disaster.

In previous years, there would be desginated scarezones, example: Acid Assault in NY. They only stayed in their set area in NY, they didn't roam around or anything. This year, there is no set zones for anyone, so you're never sure who you're going to see when you're walking around. There's different hoardes - vampires, traditionals, warriors, beasts, prisoners, walkers, etc. They roam around the park throughout the night, scaring people as they walk through the streets.

There are four rides open, but if you can do the scream early or come back at another time, I'd recommend doing the rides then. HHN is only a few weeks a year and once this year is done, you won't have the chance to see the houses again. Despicable Me is open this year since JAWS closed, along with Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Revenge of the Mummy, Men in Black, and the Simpsons.

I think it would be good to have somewhat of a touring plan so you can hit the houses in a convenient method, that way you're not running all over the place.

So far this year, the lines have been pretty crazy, so I'd recommend getting an express pass so you can guarantee getting everything done...unless you're planning on going multiple nights.

They utilize the lagoon for a show, but it isn't the same as Cinematic at all, really. There's no fireworks, but they do utilize the water screens, along with the fountains, and lasers. It's pretty cool. I've heard it happens about every 45 minutes and it's a 5 minute show.

Speaking of shows, there is also Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure, where they parody pop culture of the past year. It's pretty funny if you've stayed in touch with what's happened this year. For the first time, 20 Penny Circus is at HHN. They're magicians more or less and they have a show that they put on with different tricks and what not. It's pretty good, but a bit on the risque side, but that's how HHN is...they don't hold back.

It's a lot of fun and I love the event. Hope this helps!
xApril is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Can't improve on that April!
Old 10-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
PammyK
DIS Veteran

Other than having to disagree about the quality of 20 Penny Circus (overacted and underwhelming) I concur that April provided an excellent overview but if you have specific questions, the folks around here are one of the best resources you'll find.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Is it true that there are "No Scare Zones." Also, if you don't have a particular interest in the houses, is there anything else to do?
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
brooker
Mouseketeer

Not trying to hijack the thread..but this our first time going on Halloween night no less. My question is how long should you stay in a house...do you just walk on through or go at a snails pace?
brooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
the Dark Marauder
Proud Redhead
Time Travel Grand Master
It has achieved Legendary status

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
Is it true that there are "No Scare Zones." Also, if you don't have a particular interest in the houses, is there anything else to do?
There is ONE designated scare zone: at the end of Disaster, where the zombies are. The whole park is a scare zone. You never know where/when one of the roaming hordes will show up.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
BrinkofSunshine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
If you don't go into the houses, you'll encounter the roaming scareactors on the streets of the park. The entire park is considered a scare zone, with no "safe" places as there were in previous years. There's also two shows: Bill and Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure and 20 Penny Circus, as well as short, horror-themed clips on the lagoon using the tech from Cinematic Spectacular. IMO, the houses are the best part, especially this year.
BrinkofSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: