Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
jgualario
Mouseketeer

Red face What should I be ready for?

I will be traveling to WDW with my 34 years old brother. He has downs syndrome and this will be his first trip in almost 20 years!! Anyone have and advice for traveling with a Downs person? I feel like I am missing something or over looking something I just want to make sure he has a Magical Time!

jgualario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

Just go at his pace. That would be the best advice I can give without more information on his capabilities.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
pampam
DIS Veteran

DD 41 has DS and simply adores WDW. I forsee no problems with your brother. Just be mindfull of his limitations. You didn't mention any physical problems so I asume he doesn't have any. I'm sure you will be making some wonderful memories.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
LisaBi
DIS Veteran

My son who has Downs is 19. He just lives to go WDW. We do have to use a wheelchair in the parks...he just doesn't have the stamina to walk it. I find it better to rent from an off-site company so we have it all the way from the bus. The walks from the bus can be very long. One of the reasons we love going is because it is the one place he can be like everyone else. Just be prepared for him to really get into things that you might not expect an adult to enjoy. For example, my son LOVES the Disney Channel Rocks show. He likes to do the Kim Possible adventures in Epcot...but i have to help him understand what to do. And he wants to do the Jedi thing but he is simply too big for that. He still loves most of the characters. But he claims that IASW and Dumbo are now lame.

I just let him pretty much set the pace and we have a great time.
LisaBi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
jgualario
Mouseketeer

Thank you! Your post helped a lot. My brother has not traveled with us before and I am just a worried sister! I am very excited that he will be able to be part of the magic!

jgualario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
handicap18
Husband, father of 3, and Disney addict
Keep the game flowin and keep the people participating

Don't worry about. Go at his pace. Make suggestions. Obviously we don't know him and what his limitations are or what his strengths are. A few years back on my way out of MK, while walking down Main Street I ran into a young woman with DS who lived nearby and she said she was always at Disney. Many times by herself. She loves it.

I know a lot of young adults and adults with DS who are some of the most independent people I know. Don't sweat the small stuff. Your brother will be fine. Just enjoy it with him. Watch things through his eyes. It will give you a new appreciation of Disney. :-)
Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
handicap18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: