Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
Azza1987
Mouseketeer

First visit to Disney, any tips for a first visit? :)

Hi All,

So I am finally planning my (well our!) first ever WDW trip for May 2013. Im taking my OH for his 30th Birthday as a surprise ) We're spending 4 days in New York staying with my friend and then 7 days Florida!

I've finally (and I hope I really mean finally!) settled on a resort with SSR, a studio villa. I really wanted a balcony, and being a stroll from DTD seemed to appeal to me (Im 25 and OH will be 30 at time of trip, so places for a few evening drinks etc). I really wanted to stay at AKL but it was just too expensive, it was £500 extra on top of SSR with the deluxe dining plan! This was after many hours on trip advisor, the disney website, and trawling through many threads on the disney resort page!

So really does anyone have any tips for a first timer? Places to definitely see/eat at? Any personal recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Also any advice with crowds at times of day, buses (what time to allow), Cast Members, and dare I say tipping! (I know it brings up debates but from a UK point of view I have no idea where to start!)

Thank you all advance So excited to plan my first trip!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
LauraDaveCharlie
Live, breathe, eat and sleep WDW!

Hi,
There's nothing like the first trip! You will remember it forever and although subsequent trips will have excitement coming from anticipation of the known, this trip will forever remain special!

There are so many tips! I would recommend the Unofficial Guide to WDW as a great book that will give you a lot of good ideas for where to go and what to do. As it is so hard to fit everything into a first trip, reading that will give you a good idea of what is important to you as everyone's personal preferences are different.

Keep reading on here - I would also recommend Mouseplant and Allears websites - and you will learn loads. Ask any questions you have - no-one will ever mind!

Have fun planning!

LauraDaveCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
ukool
Mouseketeer

Having some sort of day to day plan helped us loads, not step by step / ride by ride. Just an idea of which parks we wanted to do each day and where we wanted to eat. Finding open / close times for the parks upfront is really helpfull as well.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
Azza1987
Mouseketeer

Thanks guys!

Really appreciate your advice, will certainly look to get the unoffical guide to help! I might even give it to OH as his Birthday Present to help him plan too, once I tell him!

Yes I think a day by day plan sounds like a great idea, I certainly dont want to book loads of ADR's, and certain rides for times of the day and then stress about etc!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
Ciorsdah
Mouseketeer

Having just planned a trip for a first timer I can't stress enough that having time to relax and re-energise are essential!!!

We found that getting up early and hitting the parks as early as possible, with a rough plan of what we wanted to do worked well. We busted through all 3 parks and Blizzard Beach in 2 and a half days. After we ticked off the main rides we went back to each park for a more leisurely wander around and sight-seeing, with some photopass stops.

I'm 27 and DBF is 28 and that worked for us. Drinks in the hotel bar at night and water during the day :-)

As I say, this worked well for us, might be different for you guys but one thing for sure you will have a blast!!!

X
Ciorsdah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
Stefjp
Mouseketeer

My bf and I are going for our first time in April/May so I share your excitement!! There's sooooooo much to think about and consider its a little daunting
Stefjp is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: