Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Considering Offsite trip...HELP!

There are no opinions I trust more than those of my DIS friends! Our last family trip to WDW was in 2009. We have only ever done onsite and we are dining plan people.

With that said, we are hoping to make it back to our favorite vacation destination this spring! YAY! Our initial plan is to do 4-5 days at Disney and a 3 night Bahamas cruise. Our budget is tight. When I say tight, I mean tight. My husband just took a new job that was a step in the right direction for his health and the well being of our family, but a step back in salary. So, we need to cut costs on this trip wherever possible. We are already considering driving rather than flying to save some money.

We are a family of 5. My boys are 18 (getting ready to graduate HS), 15, and 12. I have been looking into vacation rentals and considering staying offsite. Unless Disney comes out with a fantastic deal for spring travel, I think we will be trying offsite accommodations this trip.

I need help! I have been reading extensively on this site and doing lots of research. I have read that going directly through the owner is better, and I have heard that I should stick with a broker or third party. This is all new to me and any advice would be greatly appreciated!
mommytothreeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
jamuth
Mouseketeer

We have used Ken and Denise Price at vacation upgrades for a 2br/2bath condo at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. We paid $120/night. They do have a shuttle but I have never used it. We like it there and will be going back for a 2nd trip soon.
If staying on site is better.. check out the All star music family suite. Price didn't seem that bad compared to deluxe or Art of Animation.
jamuth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Ed J
Removing my ears

Location: Near the beach in NJ, not the shore, tourists call it the shore. You know, right where Sandy made landfall.

I prefer offsite (condo /timeshare) so I can enjoy real bedrooms, full kitchen and a W&D.
But if I'm looking to spend the least, a value on site if your youngest will sleep in a pull out is usually your most cost effective answer. If you have to get 2 rooms at a value then off site will be cheaper.

Is all of you in 1 room an option?
11/11 (Jersey week) Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve & POR
8/09 Grand Californian Hotel 11/10 (Jersey week) Marriott's Cypress Harbour & Holiday Inn @ DTD
11/08 (Jersey week) Marriott's Cypress Harbour & The Crown Plaza Universal
11/04 (Jersey week) Cypress Pointe 11/06 (Jersey week) Marriott's Horizons & The Nick
11/00 (Jersey week) Holiday inn ~ Now the Nick 11/02 (Jersey week) Marriott's Grande Vista
3/1989 Pineapple Peteís Hawaiian Retreat 11/1997 Embassy Suites

Iím not good at many things, but 1 thing Iím very good at is going on vacation
Ed J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed J View Post
I prefer offsite (condo /timeshare) so I can enjoy real bedrooms, full kitchen and a W&D.
But if I'm looking to spend the least, a value on site if your youngest will sleep in a pull out is usually your most cost effective answer. If you have to get 2 rooms at a value then off site will be cheaper.

Is all of you in 1 room an option?
I was under the impression that 5 in a value was strictly a no-no. We are not opposed to staying in one room (we normally do at POR), but won't trying to sleep 5 in a value room mean one person won't be able to get DDP or EMH??
mommytothreeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:20 AM   #5
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytothreeboys View Post
I was under the impression that 5 in a value was strictly a no-no. We are not opposed to staying in one room (we normally do at POR), but won't trying to sleep 5 in a value room mean one person won't be able to get DDP or EMH??
You can only legally fit 4 in a value and they are tiny. With all those boys, wouldn't you rather have a 2 bedroom, anyway?

You will get a ton more for your money by renting a timeshare resort or home. Look on ebay to get an idea of what the prices are.

Bonnet Creek is a great place to start.
Upatnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Is Disney a must-do for the pre-cruise portion of your vacation, or are you up to considering a different Orlando option?

Just wondering, as SeaWorld packages are typically much more affordable than Disney, are tons of fun, and offer some excellent perks.

To give you an example, we priced out our Christmas vacation in a value resort (cheapest room we could find), base tickets, no dining at Disney. Total = $2300+ .

We got a full one bedroom suite with kitchen at the Residence Inn SeaWorld, buffet breakfast daily, free wi-fi, free transportation to the parks, unlimited admission to both SeaWorld and Aquatica, one day of free dining at both parks for the whole family, and free Quick Queue at SeaWorld (front of the line passes). Total = $1330. A $1000 savings PLUS you get a much bigger room, and have a lot of your meal costs covered. Yes, you do have less parks to visit but that may not be an issue if you are only staying 3-4 days anyway. Or, you could consider using some of the savings and booking a day at Discovery Cove.....which is an experience in itself .

My 16 year old son enjoys SeaWorld even more than Disney, and loves having a waterpark option on our trips. If your boys are coaster lovers, Manta is amazing (my DH and DS's favourite coaster, EVER) and Kraken is also fantastic. Just thought I'd toss it out as something to consider .

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote