Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Handicapped parking at MK?

I have a trip coming up soon to WDW, and I am a little worried.

My son is now 22, and this trip is just me and him. He has autism and down syndrome. I use a large convaid chair for him at the parks, he has some balance and vision problems, and wanders off. This works well, he gets out to go on the rides, and to eat meals.

I drive to all the parks, except MK. I can park in the handicapped parking area, and push him in the chair to the park. MK is another issue. I used to travel with Sean's Dad too, so we could use the bus for the MK. Last time was my first time going alone with Sean, and it was tough. He will not stay in the chair to go up on the bus lift, it scares him, and he can walk onto the bus. This leaves me trying to carry that large heavy chair onto the bus, while controlling Sean, and forget it if we don't get a seat, there is no way Sean could stand on the bus while it is in motion without falling. The last time, I literally had to rely on strangers to help me at times either with Sean or the chair. (I can get it in and out of a small SUV that I rent to get to the other parks, or to DD). So, the buses are just very difficult for us, and I do rent a car every trip.

What are the options for going to and from the MK? If I park the car way out, we really cannot ride the tram, the chair does not fold up small at all. I guess the only handicapped parking is at the TTC? It is still a hike from there to the main gate, up and down a hill I think?, but we could avoid the tram at least? But then would have to deal with going up that monorail ramp, which would be very hard to push him up that hill. I know the Epcot station has an elevator, but I don't think the MK or TTC have one. I guess the big steamboat from the TTC is the only option? That seems like it will take forever.

I try and stay at BLT now with him, so we can walk to MK and drive to the other 3 parks. Works so well. But this upcoming trip is staying at OKW. I can't just skip the MK! I feel like I am missing something, there must be an easier way. I am sure others have figured it out, please help?
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
disney david
DIS Veteran

They got brand new buses with ramps that you drive up but still have some old buses so not sure if that helps. The only Parking is at ttc and the. Monorail or ferry.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
disney david
DIS Veteran

Here a nice video of how the new buses load this is the gillig and their also the nova bu not in this video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5zxDFPPnIFE

Old 10-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

We will just avoid MK, only going the one day for a few hours that we have breakfast at the Wave. It is just too difficult to get in and out of there.

Just back from a recent trip to DL, so much easier out there to get around, and no busses.

Just watched the video, that would work, I guess then he could stay in the chair. We would take up quite a bit of space though, and if the bus was full, that would not work, and I would not want to wait around for this type of bus while other ones went by. We will manage.

Last edited by PatMcDuck; 10-05-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMcDuck
We will just avoid MK, only going the one day for a few hours that we have breakfast at the Wave. It is just too difficult to get in and out of there.

Just back from a recent trip to DL, so much easier out there to get around, and no busses.
If you have a handicap placard you can valet at cr for free and stay all day or it 12 and you can stay all day. That five you walking acces to mk.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMcDuck View Post
I guess the big steamboat from the TTC is the only option? That seems like it will take forever.
I just wanted to say that the boat is my favorite way to get to MK, and it doesn't take forever at ALL. It's just as fast as the monorail (because there are no stops!); it's very relaxing, there are great views, and I wouldn't think he'd need to get out of his chair at all to get on or off. Further, you're let off right in front of the bag check! I'd absolutely take the boat and not think twice about it!
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

I would take the Ferry boat too! Just wheel on and wheel off. No problem!
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

great feedback on the boat option, thanks!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

Have you thought about driving over to CR and explaining your special situation?

I've eaten at 98 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (40%)
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess
Have you thought about driving over to CR and explaining your special situation?
They won't let you park in self park for more ten three hours. The only option is to pay 12 to valet park then you can park all day. If you have a handicap placard then it be free valet parking.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: