|10-04-2012, 11:04 PM||#1|
Earning My Ears
Join Date: May 2011
June or July??? Decisions Decisions PLEASE HELP!!!
We had planned an returning to WDW Nov 2013, but my son is very excited and wants to go this summer again. Traveling is me, DH, and DS (6). Our first and only trip to WDW was Nov 2011. WE had a great time and the crowds and weather were perfect. This year we have a family vacation to Panama City Beach planned and after a week at the beach would like to take the 6 hour drive to Orlando and spend a week at Disney. I am afraid that traveling in June or July we are going to be disappointed because we are used to November. Is the crowds unbearable in June/July?? I am also worried about the heat, I realize it will be hot, but is it so hot that you are miserable? And which week would be the best. My son will be out of school after the first week in June and has to return the 2nd week in August, so we are game for anytime during that period. Our original plans was to be in panama city July 6-13, and maybe doing Disney the week after, but I am VERY MUCH open to any suggestions. PLEASE HELP, I am feeling overwhelmed with all the planning.
|10-04-2012, 11:57 PM||#3|
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Virginia
According to the crowd calendars on easywdw.com, June has lower crowds than July, but both are pretty high. They use a 1-10 scale. June is a 7 most days, and July is mostly 9. In contrast, Nov. runs between 3 and 5 for most of the month. It runs a 9 on the week of Thanksgiving. Hope that helps!
|10-05-2012, 08:40 AM||#5|
"I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Durham, North Carolina
We have gone 4 times during June/July (dates between the 15th and July 5th). This year, we are going July 26-Aug 1 (cheaper prices and to avoid some things). That being said, June is not that bad if you are willing to plan correctly.
For example, after our first 2 trips in June, we realized what we call a few "summer facts" of Disney Here they are:
1. NEVER go to the MK on Fri/Sat/Sun in June. Period. Unless you want standing room only crowds. We go to the MK, M-TH.
2. Bring a fan/water spritzer. They really do help.
3. The later you can go to the park/stay out the better. The parks seem to really slow down dinner time (6pm) and after.
4. During the "meat" of the day (12-4pm) hang around the hotel and the pools. The parks will be very hot and packed at this time.
5. Be ready for a lot of large tourist groups at MK and AK during the middle of the day.
6. The parks will have more people in them in the morning than at night in June. Never expected this, but true.
7. If you want to see "fantasmic," you MUST get the dinner package in June. It is almost impossible to o walk up. We tried 4 times in June 2011. Got there an hour early and the line was already all the way down the side street out to the main shops facing "the hat."
8. Fast pass the following VERY EARLY on (even if you hope to go at night): Toy Story, Soarin, Mission Space, Pirates (better at night), Everest.
9. Find out the XM hours before your trip and plan to use ALL of them.
10. Take the time to wander through the shops and cool off. You will need it.
11. I recommend doing the parks in 2 to 3 hours spurts and going back to the hotel for an hour or two naprelaxation/pool time. Then heading back out. The combination of crowds and heat can be a lot.
12. You must be willing to take your time. If you are in a hurry in the summer, you will be dissapointed.
With all of this, if you are willing to take some ime planning and relax about things, it will be a lot of fun. If you are a family that must "go, go, go" constantly, you may end up unhappy going in June/July.
2003 - Off Site - 2 nights 3 days
2006 - Grand Floridian 8 nights 9 days (Honeymoon)
2009 - Boardwalk - 3 nights 4 days
2011 - Grand Floridian - 7 nights 8 days (5 year Anniversary)
|10-05-2012, 09:56 AM||#6|
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, Maryland
We went at the end of June two years ago, and the end of July this year.
Temperature-wise, it was basically the same. Hot? Yes, but nothing that was awful if you plan ahead a little (breaks in the afternoon).
We actually thought it was more crowded in June, and we experienced many more touring groups. In July, we noticed a couple of big groups at the beginning of our stay, but didn't notice any at the end. We used TGM to choose our parks, and I've honestly never seen Epcot so empty (and we've been at all times of year)! MK was crowded..always is, but the other parks seemed much less crowded than in June.
'97, '00, '03, '05
Animal Kingdom 2002
All Star Movies 2004
All Star Movies October 2006
Animal Kingdom Lodge January 2009
Offsite Surprise Trip June 2010
Surprise Trip July 2012, Bonnet Creek/AKL
|10-06-2012, 11:47 AM||#7|
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 4.7 miles from the Hersheypark Kissing Tower
I would go as soon as your son finishes school. We were in WDW from June 14-22 and the weather was perfect. It was actually hotter and more humid at home (PA) than Florida. Now, I know this isn't typical weather for June, but I'd imagine it would be hotter in July than in the early part of June. Also, if your son is a Star Wars fan, Star Wars Weekends are the end of May/beginning of June so it might be something you'd want to check out. When we were there in June, I didn't find the crowds to be unbearable. In fact, I was planning on them being worse. I'd think if you go the first or second week of June you'd find lighter crowds as many parts of the country are still in school. I know July has Brazilian tour groups, and from what I've read on here, it seems like I'd try to avoid them. Good luck with your decision.
BTW, we have been to WDW in November, also, and the weather is awesome that time of year.
, DH ~ , Me ~ , DS (8) ~ , DS (8)
Beach Club ~ June 27-June 30, 2015/Polynesian Village ~ June 30-July 6, 2015
Disney Fantasy: 7-night Western ~ November 28-December 5, 2015
* Polynesian ~ August, 2014 *
* Disney Fantasy: 7-night Eastern ~ November/December, 2013 * Disney Magic: 2-night Cruise ~ August, 2012 * Beach Club Villas ~ June, 2012 * Wilderness Lodge ~ November/December, 2010 * POP/CBR ~ May, 2009 * Wilderness Lodge ~ November, 2004 * Dixie Landings ~ April, 1996 * CBR ~ June, 1991 * Fort Wilderness ~ June, 1984 *
|10-07-2012, 01:52 PM||#8|
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Just 8 miles from Mickey and the gang!
We vacationed at Disney June 2011. It was hot and crowded but not to the point where it ruined our vacation. We adapted a touring plan to suit our needs, headed to the parks for rope drop every day, headed back to the hotel for a nap every afternoon (and we really all did nap!), and stayed hydrated. We also went in knowing that this was only our first trip to the parks, that there would be more.
We moved to Kissimmee April 2012. What I've learned since then is that July is HOT...sometimes miserably so. On those hot days I'd seek out AC, double up on the hydration, and definitely head someplace cool and shady between 12 and 4.
it's crowded...yes...but with the Fast pass and interactive line queues, it's not that bad. The heat can be opressive but with a good plan you can survive it!
ME DH DD7 DS6
May 1980- First family vacation (as kid) to Walt Disney World (off property)
June 1993- Second family vacation (as kid) to Walt Disney World (off property)
May 2001- Girls trip to Magic Kingdom (off property)
May/June 2011- First Familu Vacation (as Mom) Pop Century
April 2012- Moved to Kissimmee, FL
August 2012- Trip to Magic Kingdom with my Mom and kids
September 2012- Bought my Florida Resident Disney Annual Pass
Walking through the courtyard at Pop Century my 6 year old turned to me and said, "Do you know what my favorite part of this vacation is Momma? This one right now!" Now who wouldn't cry at that???
|10-08-2012, 12:54 AM||#9|
Join Date: Jul 2006
Generally, the earlier you go in June the better. Much of the East Coast doesn't get out of school until the end of June, so crowds are lower earlier in the month and build as the month goes on. For example, easywdw's crowd calendar for June 2012 had 6 crowd levels the first week, 7's the second and third weeks, and 8's the last week.
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|