Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
amg35
DIS Veteran

Thumbs down My mom has shingles - question

It's on her arm, she started medicine (went to doc on Wednesday) and she said it's a mild case.

She's 73 (healthy-knock wood), anything I should be looking out for? (for her, not me)

I think she must have gotten from my sister who has Lupus and had shingles a couple months ago?

Thanks!
amg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I don't think so. My sister had shingles and as I understand it you had to have had chicken pox at some point in the past. If you are around someone with chicken pox you won't usually catch chicken pox for a second time but you can develop shingles. It's my understanding that the contagious period of chicken pox at least is before the spots ever show up. If your sister had it 2 months ago I wouldn't blame her. I think it was too long ago. I feel bad for your Mom. I understand they are extremely painful. I hope she feels better soon.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
amg35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
I don't think so. My sister had shingles and as I understand it you had to have had chicken pox at some point in the past. If you are around someone with chicken pox you won't usually catch chicken pox for a second time but you can develop shingles. It's my understanding that the contagious period of chicken pox at least is before the spots ever show up. If your sister had it 2 months ago I wouldn't blame her. I think it was too long ago. I feel bad for your Mom. I understand they are extremely painful. I hope she feels better soon.
Thanks! I don't blame my sister, just thought maybe it was a possible reason!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
cristit14
An older I am Dorky Wafflebrains
I really need to pay attention when I am walking
I named my goldfish Horsey and Donkey

I just got over shingles a few weeks ago. What the doctor told me was you can't give shingles to someone. However, when I was contagious I could have given someone the chicken pox.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Shingles is not contagious..it is not airborne and you can't catch shingles from someone else who has it (although someone who has not had chicken pox can contract chicken pox if they come in contact with shingles lesions).
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
amg35
DIS Veteran

Okay yes, my sister didn't give her shingles! I only asked because my sister said it was contagious - I was just wondering how my mom got it. (wasn't really the point of my post originally, sorry)

I guess I was asking, I shouldn't worry about any side effects from it for her?

Last edited by amg35; 10-05-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

IIRC keep her away from anyone pregnant. My husband had shingles while I was pregnant and all the doctors flipped out (though I did have the chicken pox as a kid, so I don't recall what the big deal was exactly.) Hope she recovers soon!
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
livie1205
DIS Veteran

You CAN catch chickin pocks from shingles if you have not had it, it is not airborne but it is in saliva and from direct contact with the shingles.my dad had a severe case a few months ago and when he was put in the hospital they thought it was from complications but he had ecoli sepsis.shingles can be very very painful . Hope she is doing better soon! They even put my dad in isolation in the hospital until the rash had healed.
livie1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
MnMomtoboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
IIRC keep her away from anyone pregnant. My husband had shingles while I was pregnant and all the doctors flipped out (though I did have the chicken pox as a kid, so I don't recall what the big deal was exactly.) Hope she recovers soon!
I found out I was pregnant after I was dx with shingles. Its a big deal. I didn't get all the reasons why but I did know that it can cause miscarriages.

OP just have your Mom keep her arm covered by wearing long shirts. Someone has to touch them to be exposed. The spots can last a long time. I think mine lasted almost a year. Not all of them but a couple of spots did. Funny thing was in one area the spots were in the shape of a smiley face.

MN: The land of 10,000 lakes and at least 1 idiot.
MnMomtoboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
Jaime4004
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg35 View Post
It's on her arm, she started medicine (went to doc on Wednesday) and she said it's a mild case.

She's 73 (healthy-knock wood), anything I should be looking out for? (for her, not me)

I think she must have gotten from my sister who has Lupus and had shingles a couple months ago?

Thanks!
Not really anything to look out for. Generally it's just about pain management. As PP mentioned, some people get post herpatic neuraglia (pain in same area for months, after the rash has disappeared.) Otherwise, a secondary bacterial infection but I don't think that's very common either!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
MickeysMommy
Mickey is my cat
He sits on my table
My name is MM, and I carry a Mickey fanny pack on my vacations to Disney

OMG, my mother has been suffering with shingles in her eye for almost a year now. She has the itching on her forehead and top of her scalp. Its horrible.

Sent from my Incredible using DISBoards

~*~Dad and his "Girl"~*~
Caribbean Beach Resort
1991*1993*1995*1998*2000*2002*2006*2007*2009*2011*2012
MickeysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #12
missingFL
Earning My Ears

My mom got shingles from most likely a compromised immune system a few years ago. It was terrible because I'd never seen her so ill. My kids actually contracted chicken pox at ages 5 and 3 from this outbreak. My daughter had the vaccine as well as the booster (she had the worst case of the 2) and my son had had a dose of the vaccine. They were in the very small percentage that still got the chicken pox after having the vaccine. The nurse at my pediatrician's office actually said that they didn't have it unless my mother had allowed them to come in contact with the lesions. But having worked in daycares and a pediatrician's office in college, I knew what chicken pox looked like. My pediatrician told me that if the kids had come in contact with my mom's shirts or hands that possibly contained the oils form the lesions, it was contagious. Needless to say, it's on their medical records that they have had CP. Just help her to rest and recover!
missingFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: