Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
allmydisneydreams
Mouseketeer

Polar Express ...

I was BEYOND excited to see the Polar Express Experience at SW ... my three year old is absolutely obsessed with Polar Express. The problem is, he's nowhere near 42" tall. I'm wondering what the non-motion side is like. I saw a video on youtube that showed the theater set up to look like the inside of a train car - is it done that way on the non-motion side, too? I'm just wondering if this would be fun for my little guy
allmydisneydreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
bonoriffic
DIS Veteran

The non-motion setup wasn't too inspiring. You enter a small room with 3 or 4 rows of benches. There is a screen in front of you, not particularly large. It is set to slightly resemble the boys bedroom, with an old fashioned radiator near the front that will smoke as the train arrives. You basically watch about 6 minutes of the movie, focusing on the trains journey. Without motion and the lack of a large screen, it is literally just watching a few clips of the movie.

It was rather lame. That said, once you exit it was pretty well done with the climate temp much lower, holiday smells, and everyone dressed as though you are at the North Pole. The animals and Santa were well done and my two toddlers liked the whole experience. Once you leave the movie there isn't a Polar Express theme other than the fact you are at the "North Pole" and Santa is there at the end.
bonoriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Just wondering.....how motion-y is the motion side?

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
cheerky
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
Just wondering.....how motion-y is the motion side?
I would say it is about the same as Star Tours at DHS... not too bad. It's a great attraction!
cheerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerky View Post
I would say it is about the same as Star Tours at DHS... not too bad. It's a great attraction!
Oooohhhh, good! I'm a ride chicken, so anything more fierce than a carousel is usually a stretch for me . But I managed Star Tours okay so I shoiuld be good to go on the Polar Express .

I just went out and bought the movie tonight . Never seen it before, but thought it would be worth watching before our trip!! Would it be wrong to watch a Christmas movie before Halloween?

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
sweetiee
Mouseketeer

We loved it. I did both, as one child was old enough for the motion one. You wear a seatbelt and your seat just bumps and sways with the video. I think you take on the roll of a bird or something where you follow the ticket through bounces and bumps. My son was 3 last year and still enjoyed the motionless one BC he LOVES PE. When you exit it is set up with a scene with presents and trees then you round the bend and see the HUGE Santa sack and sleigh and the Santa from the movie (looks like it). My kids enjoyed their time talking with him and the whole set up. Even the elves were fun. We will go again this winter. Going next week for the Spooktacular event as well.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
Piglet
Can't beat Family Love
You can't go wrong with teddy bears & chocolate
Is a very crafty challenged person but can follow directions

When do they start this? We will be at Sea World the day before Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving Day. Any chance we will get to do this? My youngest would love it.

WDW Trips
Jan 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 2012 - Pop Century
Nov 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
Nov/Dec 2010 Pop Century
Oct/Nov 2009 Pop Century
Jan 2009 - OKW
Jan 2008 - All Star Music
Oct/Nov 2007 - Pop Century
Nov 2004 - Pop Century
Oct 2003 - All Star Music
Oct 2001 - Give Kid the World Village - MAW
Nov 1999 - All Star Movies
1979 - Off Site
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
CynBeth
DIS Veteran

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
When do they start this? We will be at Sea World the day before Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving Day. Any chance we will get to do this? My youngest would love it.
Last year when we were there it began the day after Thanksgiving and was only held on Fri and Sat until closer to Christmas. Hopefully it is different this year.
CynBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
sweetiee
Mouseketeer

Just went today. I believe the brochure I saw said they start November 17th? Double check though.

Hade a blast at the Spooktacular, Dine with Shamu, and Shamu Rocks!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
gonitts
Earning My Ears

We were there in 2010 the sunday after thanksgiving and it was running.
gonitts is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: