Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran

Location: Once a Floridian, always a Floridian (but currently elsewhere)

Mary Poppins on tour question - any good?

Has anyone seen the Mary Poppins touring stage show? Can you recommend it (or not)? It's coming to my area in a few weeks and I was considering it. I'm not a huge theater-goer, but usually enjoy the popular shows (like Les Mis, Phantom, Wicked, etc.).

I am sorry if this has been covered, and if it has, please point me in the right direction! Can't seem to easily find an answer via the search on the DIS iPhone app here.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
hulagirl87
DIS Veteran

I'm going next Sunday and am super excited. It's the first in the series of touring plays that are coming here to Rochester. I'm pretty lucky and my mom gets us the season tickets every year for the past 15 years. I've seen too many plays to name! But when Mary Poppins was named for this year I was sooooo excited. I can let you know next week how it is

me DH DD and DS
hulagirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

It will be in OKC next month, and I can't wait to see it!

For those of you that are going soon: Would you please check out the t-shirt display and prices? I'm wondering if I should just order the shirt from Disney shopping or if they'll have a bigger selection at the show. Thanks!

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran

Ok, glad to see people are excited! I'm in the Detroit area and it'll be here at the end of the month. Thinking of taking my mom, but stillI on the fence!

Reviews on ticketmaster are great (4.6 out of 5 stars) but I'd rather hear it from my trusted DIS friends!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
eebadeeba
Mouseketeer

Went last year some time with my 5 and 9 year old. We all loved it. They were enthralled the whole time. It is the only big show we have seen recent enough for them to remember. I would recommend it.

2004 Swan
2005 Swan
2006 October offsite
2007 January POP
2007 Summer - almost weekly to Disneyland Paris
2007 October Swan
eebadeeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
hidmickey:myantidrug
DIS Veteran

I saw it on Halloween night two years ago. I really did not like it. The step in time scene/performance was wonderful but other than that, I thoroughly disliked it. The four other people I went with loved it, though, so maybe I was just in a mood. There were younger kids all dressed up for Halloween who seemed to enjoy it as well, if there are younger ones in your group. I would just say to go in not expecting it to match up much with the movie and enjoy the performance. I think my expectations were too high based in how much I liked the movie, as much as I knew that was a mistake. But again, I'm the only one I've heard indicate a poor experience, so I bet your group will have a good time.
hidmickey:myantidrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #7
hellokitty86
If I didn't wear it myself- I would want my husband to wear it!
DH does call me a toilet paper snob
Did the lovebugs bother you too, like they bothered me??!

Saw it and loved it. It was amazing.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #8
miss.potatohead
Mouseketeer

Saw it when it was in Melbourne, Australia a few years ago and I loved it! There are some bits which are slightly different than the movie but that's to be expected as it is also based on the books. The musical score is wonderful and I guarantee you'll be humming along. The dance choreography is also amazing!
miss.potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:56 AM   #9
superme80
DIS Veteran

I got my parents tickets for Christmas a few years ago. They loved it.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 9 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:28 AM   #10
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidmickey:myantidrug View Post
I saw it on Halloween night two years ago. I really did not like it. The step in time scene/performance was wonderful but other than that, I thoroughly disliked it. The four other people I went with loved it, though, so maybe I was just in a mood. There were younger kids all dressed up for Halloween who seemed to enjoy it as well, if there are younger ones in your group. I would just say to go in not expecting it to match up much with the movie and enjoy the performance. I think my expectations were too high based in how much I liked the movie, as much as I knew that was a mistake. But again, I'm the only one I've heard indicate a poor experience, so I bet your group will have a good time.
I didn't care for it either- its on the very bottom of my list as far as all the broadway shows I have seen- I actually nodded off at one point in the middle! Was not really up to Broadway standards as far as I am concerned. My daughter liked it but certainly not her favorite by far.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran

Wow! Some different opinions here. I guess that's to be expected, but now I'm still not sure whether to buy the tickets or not.

Thanks for all the input so far!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
LauraEadon

OMG! No lie- I literally just got home from seeing it TONIGHT! At Proctors in upstate, NY. It was AMAZING!!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

Obviously they can't do all they did on broadway (things that happened "above" the audience- don't want to give it away for those who haven't seen it) but they sure were amazing.

The kids who played Jane and Michael were so good. Spot on.
LauraEadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #13
TLHB70
Let me be known by the Company I keep, eclipsed by YOUR presence that I may decrease
I really like a lot of the music they play out around the park

Our family has seen it on the Broadway tour. None of us cared for it. Don't get me wrong.........the music, props, costumes, etc. are all great. (Well, I do NOT like the park statue's costume! ) However, we didn't care for it because it was more true to the book and not Disney's Mary Poppins. I do not want to give away any spoilers, so I will just leave it at we did not like something that happened in the play that did not happen in Disney's movie.
Our family loves Broadway shows......Phantom of the Opera, Lion King, Wicked, etc. Mary Poppins is one I do not care to see again just because I LOVE Disney's movie and prefer it.

Just a forewarning, do NOT expect it to be just like the Disney movie. It isn't. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I would have known that ahead of time. Maybe I was more let down because of my expectations since Disney's Mary Poppins movie is a classic hit at our house. We watch it so often and love it.

Last edited by TLHB70; 10-05-2012 at 12:08 PM.
TLHB70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLHB70
Just a forewarning, do NOT expect it to be just like the Disney movie. It isn't. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I would have known that ahead of time. Maybe I was more let down because of my expectations since Disney's Mary Poppins movie is a classic hit at our house. We watch it so often and love it.
This is a good point. Thanks!

Overall, this is interesting since there are glowing reviews, but then it seems those people who didn't like it REALLY didn't like it. Thanks for all the opinions!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: