Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

6 Hour Flight with Infant Must Haves

I have traveled all over the world and always feel very prepared.

In a few weeks our baby will be on his first flight for 6 hours.
I'm trying to get a must have list of things to carry with us on the plane.

My diaper bag always has extra outfits
pacifiers
gas drops
A&D
teething toys
diapers
wipes
hats
blankets
zip lock bags
bottles & formulas

Anything else for must haves?

What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

A change of clothes for any adult who will hold the baby on the plane.
momof3ds is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

How old is the infant?

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
NEVERENOUGHWDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRegulars View Post
How old is the infant?
He'll be 5 1/2 months when we travel.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Figee17
Mouseketeer

I found traveling with my DS at this age was a breeze compared to now when he is getting more mobile! Sounds like your diaper bag is well stocker, but I agree with PP about the extra change of clothes for the adults...no knowing when a blow out will happen or when you won't be allowed to get up when the time for a diaper change comes. I traveled with more formula than necessary and was thankful for that. We found that feeding at take of and landing eliminated ear problems. Have fun!!
Figee17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
JJsmama
Becoming an accidental expert on resorts Far from The World!

I also agree that traveling with an young infant is easier than you think it will be - unless baby is not feeling well... We did a 6 hour flight when my 3rd was 2 months and a 14.5 hour flight when he was six months.

My advice: take more pacifiers than you think you need and keep them in ziplocs. They are so easy to drop in the small space. Take hand sanitizer for yourself when handling the bottles, etc in case you can't get up.

If you are also breastfeeding, build up your milk supply beforehand and don't take the bottle, formula at all. Much easier.

Good Luck.

Contemporary x 5 trips, Polynesian x 4 trips, Beach Club x 2 trip, Wilderness Lodge x 1 trip, Port Orleans R / FQ x 3 trips, All Stars Movies x 1 trip, Tokyo DisneyLand and Tokyo DisneySea x 1 trip, Disney Cruise line x 3 cruises

Animal Kingdom Lodge & Contemporary Here We Come! Summer 2014
JJsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVERENOUGHWDW View Post
. . . Anything else for must haves? . . .
Three words,
. . . ben
. . . a
. . . dryl
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
LilnStitchy
Earning My Ears

I found it nice to have a boppy or some sort of pillow to rest the baby atop. The boppy is sort of a pain to lug around and I see they have a travel one that zips together and has a shoulder strap. Would have made my life easier then. I took DS on two 7 hr flights when he was 8 mos and he slept through most of it. He slept at 15 mos on a red eye with the boppy under him. Also agree with the pp's a 5.5 mo will be a breeze

Caribbean Beach Resort- 2011
LilnStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
Three words,
. . . ben
. . . a
. . . dryl
Be careful with this suggestion. Ethics aside, you should never give a new medication without consulting a doctor first (especially in this case, because there aren't instructions for infants on the bottle) and it's a bad idea to give any medication for the first time on a plane. (the kid could have an allergic reaction to an ingredient, then you're in even worse shape)

Also, from experience my kid wakes up as soon as the dose wears off and in an even crankier mood than he was before. For this reason, I hate giving him benadryl in general (though at times he does need it for a reaction) and I rue the day that he'll need it on a plane flight that's longer than 4 hours again.
Also, it's a pain in the butt to get through security, because it only comes in bottles larger than 3 oz.

In general, I've found that traveling with infants on planes isn't much different than taking care of them anywhere else. It's once they start walking that travel becomes difficult. Bring about twice as much perishable stuff as you anticipate needing for your whole travel time (not just the flight time - include travel time from home and until you get to somewhere you can replenish your supply at your destination). One suggestion I've heard is to pack 1 diaper for every hour of travel, and I've never gotten done with traveling with my kid and thought "man, I wish I would have packed fewer diapers." Same thing with food.
The extra change of clothes/shirt for yourself suggestion is also very good. I spilled a bottle of water on myself and my child on a plane once. That extra shirt was very well loved that day.

Bring some kind of carrier on the plane with you. You can't use it during take off or landing, but you can use it to walk the baby up and down the aisle hands-free.

Another good suggestion I've seen for formula users is to pre-measure out most feedings.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
jillianjigs7
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
Three words,
. . . ben
. . . a
. . . dryl
i'd be careful about this too. my dd had to take benadryl once when 10 months for medical reasons and it made her so hyper. i definitely wouldn't try that without getting a dr.'s opinion and without trying it at home first either.

just make sure you have enough of the essentials: wipes, diapers, extra clothes, a couple pacifiers (if baby uses them), teething toys, etc. if you have an iphone, that always helped us with dd on the plane. we downloaded a lot of baby apps and she loved staring at them! she now is 2.5 and has her own ipad for all of the traveling we do and travels so well!

jillianjigs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
NEVERENOUGHWDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillianjigs7 View Post
i'd be careful about this too. my dd had to take benadryl once when 10 months for medical reasons and it made her so hyper. i definitely wouldn't try that without getting a dr.'s opinion and without trying it at home first either.

just make sure you have enough of the essentials: wipes, diapers, extra clothes, a couple pacifiers (if baby uses them), teething toys, etc. if you have an iphone, that always helped us with dd on the plane. we downloaded a lot of baby apps and she loved staring at them! she now is 2.5 and has her own ipad for all of the traveling we do and travels so well!
Started downloading onto our Ipad

As far as I'm concerned the benydryl comment was just made to make the Moms (especially me) have a fit.

I do know there are often adults I would like to drug on the planes, especially going overseas.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
jillianjigs7
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVERENOUGHWDW View Post
Started downloading onto our Ipad

As far as I'm concerned the benydryl comment was just made to make the Moms (especially me) have a fit.

I do know there are often adults I would like to drug on the planes, especially going overseas.
That's great! There are so many cute little apps for little ones! When we flew home from Puerto Rico over the summer (a 4.5 hour plane ride) our DD never made a peep! She watched and played with the ipad the entire trip!

And I couldn't have said it better myself: "I do know there are often adults I would like to drug on the planes, especially overseas!" I couldn't agree more!!!!

jillianjigs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #13
Habbott
Mouseketeer

I took my little guy on a 3.5 hour flight when he was 6.5 months. He slept the majority of the time. We had a few new toys he could play with. And we also had our iPad. While he didn't do much with hat, he really liked looking at the pictures we had on it.

Definitely agree with having a second outfit for you as well. You never know what's going to happen.
Habbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Bring at least twice as many diapers as you think you will need.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
dsneygirl
My little pirate is here
The mixed drinks always tasted yummy to me

Bring extra formula and diapers in case of delays. I agree with the others we flew to Hawaii when DS was 6 months and it was a breeze compared to last week's 2.5 hour flight to Orlando.
FW 1980, 1984, 1988, DxL 1992, Canada Pavillon CM July 1997-July 1998, (Met DH at the BeaverTails shack) Off site Feb 1999 Engaged at Cindy's Sept 2000, DL GC Feb 2001, POFQ Sept 2001, Poly June 2002, Off site March 2003, FW Hallowe'en 2003, GF Xmas 2003, DisneyLand Oct 2004, FW May 2005 Joined DVC June 2005 SSR Oct 2005, OKW Dec 2005, DLH Mar 2006,DS's 1st Trip BCV & CBR Oct 2006, VWL & POR Dec 2006, BCV & POR May 2007, BWV & ASM Aug 2007, SSR Oct 2007 VWL Dec 2007, AKL/VWL Sept 2008, March 2009 Pop/BCV, Disney Wonder and AKV/BCV May 2009, AKL/VWL Sept 2009, OKW Dec 2009,Mar 2010 Disney Wonder and BLT, May 2010 AKL, Aug 2010 VWL/BCV,Dec 2010 AKL, Feb 2011 Disney Dream/VWL, May 2011 BLT, Sept 2011 VGC, Oct 2011 SSR, Aulani June 2012, BCV/VWL Sept 2012, AKV/BLT Sept 2013, Dec 2013 VWL/DisneyDream, Nov 2014 VGC
(me)(DH)(DS 7) (DS 2)

dsneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: