Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
jerseygirl82
Mouseketeer

pacifier and bottle advice

DD turned 2 in July and still uses a pacifier and drinks from a bottle. She goes to daycare three days a week and fortunately doesn't use either one while there. She only asks for bottles at night when she is tired and the pacifier seems to be more of a security type thing.

I'd really like for her to kick both of these habits, especially the pacifier since she will insist on taking it out in public and to me she is just too big to be sucking on a pacifier.

Does anyone have any advice they can offer?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

1st DS gave up both easy and early....then there came along DS now 5. He was very attached to both. We ended up taking his bottle when we was 22 months old and the passie right at his second birthday. For bottles we had cut out all except his morning and night bottles. When we did it, we just took those two away and told him they were gone. We really did get rid of all of them because I knew I would give in if they were in the house. The problem was we let him use his sippy cup instead of the bottles for am and bedtime and they can be just as bad, if not worse on the teeth as the bottle! The passies, we also tried really hard to cut back and then the day we took them, we really did get rid of all of them and told him they were gone. Bed time was a little tough for a couple nights and then it was fine. Again, I knew if they were in the house, we were in trouble! Sooo...my advice, if you are ready and serious, really get them out of the house. If you give in after you say you are taking them, the next try will be twice as hard!
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

Some people say to start to cut the tips of the pacifiers (I can't remember if you cut a small amount little by little or just the whole thing off).

As for the bottles, is she still waking up at night to eat? I would think at over 2 years old they don't need to eat at night, but I don't have a child that old so I'm no expert.

We're about to start working on getting rid of both right now with DD. I think a pacifier is going to be the harder one to get rid of for us! Good luck!

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV Upcoming Trip: October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!*
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

With the bottles, we just took one away a little at a time. Only my first dd was really attached, and didn't want to give up his morning bottle. Oh well, it was gone.

My kids were only allowed pacifiers in their cribs - never in public. Dd9 was my oldest (at almost 4!), but we just told her it was time. Again, she could only have it in bed, and not outside the bedroom. Her twin gave it up on his own at about 9 months - didn't care for it anymore.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

We got rid of bottles at 12-18 mos, and the last bottle to go was the bedtime bottle. None of mine were particularly attached to the bottle, so it wasn't a big deal. They could have a sippy cup of milk instead of a bottle during storytime, then it was off to bed.

All of mine were super attached to the pacifier and all of them had pacifiers until age 3. Then, the pacifier fairy came. The kids decorated a paper bag and then put the pacifiers in it and left it by their bedroom door. While they were asleep, the pacifier fairy came and took the bag of pacifiers to give to new babies who needed them. In its place, she left a big kid present.

The first night or two was a little tough. They'd ask for the pacifier and I'd remind them that the pacifier fairy took them. There was a little bit of crying, but not much and then it was over.

My youngest had his tonsils out at 3 and during recovery, he was not allowed to suck on anything, including his pacifier. So, the pacifier fairy came when we got home from the hospital and he never even asked for it again.

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to wish you good luck. I know that it can be really rough transitioning away from bottles and pacifiers. I have no advice though, sorry. My kids all were quite content giving them up at 12 months. We introduced open top cups at an early age, and they were pretty much exclusively eating solid food at 12 months so the bottle had lost it's appeal to them.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughinplace199 View Post
We got rid of bottles at 12-18 mos, and the last bottle to go was the bedtime bottle. None of mine were particularly attached to the bottle, so it wasn't a big deal. They could have a sippy cup of milk instead of a bottle during storytime, then it was off to bed.

All of mine were super attached to the pacifier and all of them had pacifiers until age 3. Then, the pacifier fairy came. The kids decorated a paper bag and then put the pacifiers in it and left it by their bedroom door. While they were asleep, the pacifier fairy came and took the bag of pacifiers to give to new babies who needed them. In its place, she left a big kid present.

The first night or two was a little tough. They'd ask for the pacifier and I'd remind them that the pacifier fairy took them. There was a little bit of crying, but not much and then it was over.

My youngest had his tonsils out at 3 and during recovery, he was not allowed to suck on anything, including his pacifier. So, the pacifier fairy came when we got home from the hospital and he never even asked for it again.
I agree. Our pediatrician warned me when ds was around 9 or 10 mos old that by 12 mos he should be off the bottle. Keeping it any longer only makes it that much harder to stop. They both had binkies way into age 3 but we did not take them into public. Just kept under their pillow for bedtime. Neither wanted to hear about sending them to new babies. They both said someone should go to the store so they can get their own.
I finally told them they're getting too big for it and we set a date to give it up. I snuggled with them at bedtime and a few nights were rough but it all worked out. They're 15 & 12 now and it didn't harm them.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

We did the "nu nu" fairy for DD at almost 3? She was using them at night. One night we hung her remaining "nu nus" from the tree in our front yard, and in the morning the nu nu fairy brought her a new Tiana doll she had been admiring.

Just a couple of weeks ago DD lost her first tooth, and

TBD ~ August 2015
CSR October 2013, POR October 2013

Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal 1995
ColonelHathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

Oops - iPhone!

She lost her tooth and it was so cute when I had to explain how the nu nu fairy and tooth fairy were good friends, but nu nu fairies lived outdoors and only collected nu nus.

With bottles, DD was also harder to ween off. We uses sippies that she got to pick out, and that made it a bit easier. We made a big deal about the sippies.

TBD ~ August 2015
CSR October 2013, POR October 2013

Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal 1995
ColonelHathi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: