Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

D23 Event Take some responsiblity

I am sorry but blaming Disney because
(A) you got in line for a 9 AM event at 7 AM (Why? I got to Disney at 8:30?)
(B) you failed to eat breakfast?
(B) you had to sit there for an hour and 20 minutes before the break. (Oh the horror LOL!)
(C) You paid for this event and it was a rip off (Don't lie, you didn't pay you claimed earlier that you got it as a gift)

you are whining because YOU made bad decisions and that's Disney's fault? OMG! Time to accept some responsiblity for YOURSELF!

I paid, I knew what I was getting and got what I expected.

Seriously the whole beginning of this was "we failed to pay any attention to what was happening and then we whined" Next time you get a freebie maybe you should look at what you are accepting before running off to it?

Very unprofessional

Last edited by OrangeCountyCommuter; 10-03-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Don't you just hate it when your computer downloads an alternate universe podcast?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Maybe your version of the podcast came through with different details....

A)We got in line as seating was first come, first served and the D23 member wished to have a better seat. We were being polite and we werent alone. The line was quite long at 7:30am.

B) I didnt fail to eat breakfast. Disney / D23 failed to provide any options for the folks that didnt eat breakfast. If you wanted to grab something to eat, you missed part of the event. Disney / D23 also missed a money making opportunity. Poor planning.

C) i didnt have to sit there. I had free will to come and go as I pleased and did. With 1200 people in the auditorium, 10 minutes was not enough time for guests to use the facilities and make it back to their seat before the presentation began again. Logistics wouldnt allow it and that's unfair to the folks that wanted to see everything. Luckily, D23 was smart enough to schedule the too short breaks this time. It's my understanding that the last one of these, in California, had no breaks scheduled. Again, really bad planning on their part.

D) I paid $65 a seat for each of three people. This event cost me $195.00. As a non-member, someone else purchased the tickets and I re-imbursed them. Where you got the idea that this was a gift is beyond me. Maybe the same place you got the rest of your mis-information.

I never claimed that the event was a rip-off. I left at 10:30am, as John wasnt feeling well. Shaun reviewed the rest of the program....and liked it.

I did claim that the event was poorly planned and I stand by that 100%.

I would suggest a class in "listening for comprehension", as you missed a great deal of the details of our review.

Thanks for listening.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
It's my understand that the last one of these, in California, had no breaks scheduled. Again, really bad planning on their part.
That was the case for the first two Destination D events (DL 55 & MK 40), but the most recent Destintation D event was scheduled with a morning and afternoon "potty" break. Steven Clark even mentioned that there were complaints about it at previous events, and that's why the change was made. I think ours were 15 minutes though.

Having attended both D23 Expos and all 3 Destination D events (as both a fan and media), I'll have to admit, I kinda chuckled when Kevin mentioned that there wasn't a break until 10:20 (an hour and 20 minutes in).

However, I also understand where he's coming from. If you don't know going in and can't prepare for it, the craziness of these schedules can surprise you.

D23 events can be very draining. The most recent Destination D went from 9:30am each morning until after 9pm two nights in a row. Granted there were breaks, but it still makes for a couple very long days sitting on "banquet chairs".

D23 puts together some great events and great panel discussions, but they are STILL tweeking things logistically. Not sure they'll ever get it completely right.

I do appreciate that Kevin and John went into this event with an open mind and really appreciate hearing about the event (even if I am a Disneyland guy).
Old 10-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

.missed something somewhere.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
Justin Jett
I will do my Elvis impression at DAP, if Kevin will do a duet with me
I'm signed up and ready to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
Don't you just hate it when your computer downloads an alternate universe podcast?

Jack, I love ya!

I attended 2 D23 events in 2011. Kevin and John's review told me that D23 has not learned its lesson. It was like they were describing the 2011 event all over again.

John had to leave because he got sick. In 2011....I walked out of the $175 event because D23 made me sick.

D23 has the resources to put on a great event, so why don't they shape up and do it????!!!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
SkaGoat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jett View Post
:
D23 has the resources to put on a great event, so why don't they shape up and do it????!!!!!
I actually don't think people realize how small the D23 group actually is, it's possible that this was actually the best they could do with the resources they had available.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
Justin Jett
I will do my Elvis impression at DAP, if Kevin will do a duet with me
I'm signed up and ready to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaGoat View Post
I actually don't think people realize how small the D23 group actually is, it's possible that this was actually the best they could do with the resources they had available.
D23 is part of the Walt Disney Company, which has plenty of resources.

D23 can put on great events when they are willing to put forth the effort.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaGoat View Post
You're correct...they have a very small staff, most of which they share with the Walt Disney Archives. Actually, I'm not sure if they have ANY full time staff.....that said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jett View Post
D23 is part of the Walt Disney Company, which has plenty of resources.
...they have plenty of manpower at their disposal.

(Can't believe I'm agreeing with Skip during a D23 discussion.)
Old 10-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
UConnFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Next time you get a freebie maybe you should look at what you are accepting before running off to it?

Very unprofessional

Next time you listen to this free podcast, remember what you're getting into: people who have there own opinions and work hard to tell it like it is. This could be really useful information for someone who has never been to a D23 event and has no idea that food isn't available and there's only one break for so many people. I, for one, am grateful for the podcast.

July 14-21, 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
December 6-9 2013 Disapalooza - Pop Century
May 19-26 2013 Disneymoon at Pop Century
December 17-21 2012 - Pop Century
New Years 2010/2011 - Pop Century
July 2010
April 2005 - Fort Wilderness Campground
June 2004
Old 10-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #11
Disney Enabler
It's a great day to be alive!

I have been to multiple D23 events. I have been events which I thoroughly enjoyed and others where I was mad that I had wasted my precious time. My impression of an event doesn't always agree with my Disney friends who attended the same event. Funny but I find the same is true in most things in life.

Criticizing D23 is not hurtful. It is part of a dialogue or a discussion. Criticizing a person or the manner in which a person express his/her opinion is hurtful. It is not positive and does not promote an open dialogue or discussion.

I am tired of reading personal attacks on this board. Luckily my very wise Mother taught me at an early age a valuable lesson -- Be polite. Treat others like you want to be treated. Stand behind what you say.

I am hopeful that these boards can return to what I understood to be their purpose which is to illicit open, non-hurtful discussion about Disney.

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Sorry but whining about "we didn't have breakfast" is just a sign of "we were unprepared and that should be someone else's fault" Saying "we expected a more walk around event" was another sign of "we didn't have a clue" They seemed to expect Disney to take care of them like a mother.

I have no problem with the rant about the seating area etc, but.... the "we miss food" LOL! I expect that if they had food it would have been "there wasn't enough and we didn't like it" LOL! (And they are local, didn't they have food at home? Didn't they pass a Mickey D's? I found food and I was staying at a hotel)

Didn't realize this was the "cheerleading" board. LOL! Bye!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Sorry but whining about "we didn't have breakfast" is just a sign of "we were unprepared and that should be someone else's fault" Saying "we expected a more walk around event" was another sign of "we didn't have a clue" They seemed to expect Disney to take care of them like a mother.

I have no problem with the rant about the seating area etc, but.... the "we miss food" LOL! I expect that if they had food it would have been "there wasn't enough and we didn't like it" LOL! (And they are local, didn't they have food at home? Didn't they pass a Mickey D's? I found food and I was staying at a hotel)

Didn't realize this was the "cheerleading" board. LOL! Bye!
Again, it seems you didnt understand a word of what was said or written.

I'm not at all sure what you are talking about and I'm not going to defend what was said. It probably wouldnt get through anyway.

Seems that if we dont agree with you, you're going to take your toys and leave.

If that's the case, you will have a tough time on this or any other board.

All I can say is Bye!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #14
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

This thread is now closed.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: