Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
planningjollyholiday
DIS Veteran

Are you trying to decide if you should stay onsite?

We recently stayed 5 nights at the disneyland hotel and 2 nights at the grand californian. We had such a great time and definatly thought it was worth it!!! Our stay was truly magical and we will never stay offsite. The cast members were amazing at both places and were able to meet all of our requests, and the service and upgrades we recieved at both places went above and beyond. We preferred the disneyland hotel because we felt the pool was better and the decor was way more disneyish. Bell services transferred our bags for us from hotel to hotel which was a load off our shoulders. And by far the best part was the early entry. We were able to ride RSR with little wait in the morning and then get fastpasses to ride it again at night by getting in line 15 min before park opening. We got so many of the big rides done in the morning that in the afternoon we rode the smaller rides with little wait. I read in another thread how busy it seems at disneyland right now, and yes there were lots of people but we never waited in line very long, and on the weekends when it was packed we just relaxed in the pools. So if you are debating wether to stay onsite or not then my advice would be to do it!!!!
planningjollyholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
nana50
DIS Veteran

I'm with you. I never have to decide, I just have to wait until I can afford it. It is expensive. I love love love the new DLH. It is part of the vacation for me.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana50 View Post
I'm with you. I never have to decide, I just have to wait until I can afford it. It is expensive. I love love love the new DLH. It is part of the vacation for me.
nana50 -

This is exactly how I feel, too. For me, staying onsite is definitely worth it and it is definitely "part of the vacation" as well.

I like all 3 of the hotels for different reasons. This doesn't mean that I can always afford an onsite stay - and if/when I can't, then I just go home (I live in L.A.). But it's not the same experience when that happens. Something about being on Disney property and in the "Disney bubble" from the moment I arrive at DLR to the moment I leave has a big impact on my overall enjoyment of the trip. It makes it a much more complete trip for me, in a way.

I realize and understand that staying onsite is not for everyone - some folks don't see why staying onsite makes a difference, especially with such a hefty price tag attached. And I certainly agree that the rates are getting crazier than ever, while the good discounts are becoming few and far between. Pretty soon, I'm not sure that anyone will be able to stay onsite if the rates keep climbing!

For some people, it won't make a difference at all which hotel they're in. I totally see the logic in saving the money that would be spent on a Disney hotel for extra souvenirs, snacks, etc. That makes sense - especially when kids are involved.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Ingrid0382
Mouseketeer

Quote:
skip all that stuff one time and enjoy the hotel. The kids and you, will LOVE it.

You guys are such enablers!!!!
Ingrid0382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
DLRfan31
A Pirate's Life for Me!

We've never stayed onsite, but have thought about it before.

What is the average cost? I know in the past when I've checked it really scared me off.

I saw a post somewhere recently that gave some prices that weren't as bad...I think gay day rates...but when you go for 10 days to 2 weeks at a time, its a lot.

and what is the senior citizen rates. We;ll have my mom with us the last few days so maybe she'll spring for a couple of days at the resort. She's got more $$$ to burn than I do.

Last edited by DLRfan31; 10-03-2012 at 06:49 PM.
DLRfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
Rhonna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRfan31 View Post
and what is the senior citizen rates. We;ll have my mom with us the last few days so maybe she'll spring for a couple of days at the resort. She's got more $$$ to burn than I do.
Book the entire trip under your mom's name and divide the cost later. Senior citizens (60 and over) get the best discounts around. I believe it's 30% off.
Rhonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:

What is the average cost? I know in the past when I've checked it really scared me off.

I saw a post somewhere recently that gave some prices that weren't as bad...I think gay day rates...but when you go for 10 days to 2 weeks at a time, its a lot.

Keep in mind that when you go for 10 days to 2 weeks, you'll need to buy 2 or maybe 3 separate tickets per person. DLR only sells 5 day tickets now.

As far as average cost, paying rack rate is extremely expensive. We are staying for 6 nights in late January at the VGC for $178/night. Renting DVC points is an attractive option for getting 40-70% off rack rates.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You might want to consider the DVC Rent/Trade board, and get a villa at the GC by renting DVC points. That might really be worth it.

mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #9
Watchtower
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
nana50 -

I realize and understand that staying onsite is not for everyone - some folks don't see why staying onsite makes a difference, especially with such a hefty price tag attached. And I certainly agree that the rates are getting crazier than ever, while the good discounts are becoming few and far between. Pretty soon, I'm not sure that anyone will be able to stay onsite if the rates keep climbing!
I'm afraid if this trend keeps up, only rich people will be able to afford a vacation to DLR at all...
Watchtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
jenksdj
Mouseketeer

If you go for 10-14 days, then consider a split stay between a good neighbor hotel and a DLR hotel, if it's too pricey for the full time at a DLR hotel. Just make sure to END the stay at the DLR hotel to avoid disappointment in in the good neighbor hotel and to end the trip on the best note possible!
We're going in 3 days for a 5 night stay at DLH concierge (thanks to gay days rate)! Can't wait!

First trip to DL April/07
2nd trip to DL Nov/07
3rd trip to DL Dec/08
First trip to WDW May/10
4th trip to DL Nov/10
Next trip to DL Oct/12
jenksdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #11
Magalex
DIS Veteran

NOOOO why did I open this post. Yes I agree these people are enablersI was just fine with Candy Cane Inn as a motel of choice for our first trip to DL in July 2013. We are very happy with the value resorts at WDW but would LOVE to have our first visit to DL & stay at DLH Wishing for some luck here.
WDW 2010-POP
WDW 2012-CBR
DL/DCA 2013-Candy Cane Inn
WDW and Sea World Orlando June 2014- The "B" resort in DTD
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
Priory
Mouseketeer

After 31 years of visiting the park(s) I am staying on property for the first time ever tonight! I am sitting here at work and so far it's the longest day of my life. I never thought onsite was worth it until I visited WDW for the first time last year. There is something to be said for the immersion factor. I can't describe it, but it just felt great. I am hoping it feels the same at the DLR. I wish it was more than 3 nights, but it will still be fantastic.

Are there any features or benefits to staying at the GCH that I should be sure not to miss? (I know about early entry).
Priory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

One day we WILL stay onsite! When the kids are old enough to appreciate it and money isn't as tight as it is right now....one of these years we are definitely staying onsite!!! I think I'd try the Disneyland Hotel. Just walking through it after dinner at Goofy's Kitchen totally makes me want to stay there.

But for now, I'm thankful for any Disney vacation I can get and will happily stay at Hojo's and DI&S in order to make our vaction happen! They are clean, close and less than half the price which is important to us right now.

Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
scoker
Mouseketeer

I've done both already and they both have their advantages. I loved staying at GCH and would love to try the DLH. If I was going during a warm busy time of year I would choose on site if the budget allowed.

This time I'm going in February. I'm using my annual pass that I got for our trip so I only have to get a ticket for DD6. This is a total budget trip because it really is an extra trip for 2013. If I wasn't saving on the ticket and off site hotel we wouldn't be going at all. Off site is way better than no site IMO!!!!!
scoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #15
rosiep
I don't drink, I try to convert people to nudism!
while it was a beautiful experience it was a slurge
I'm one of those people who need coffee just so I can make coffee

Doing a split stay in 2 weeks. I'd questioned whether or not bell services would move my bags and most replies said "no". Glad to know they did for you; I am hoping they will for me as well!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: