Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
hoosthatmouse
Earning My Ears

Question Would you rather.....?

Hi all -- I am new here and in the process of planning our family's first Disney Cruise. Just had a few questions for you experts out there! So tell me, would you rather...

...take a 4 day Bahamas cruise with a vernadah room or a 7 day carribbean with a magical porthole room? NOTE: as a family of 4

...plan your trip months and months in advance or wait for a last minute deal?

...attend the pirate deck party in full pirate gear or get all dolled up for a semiformal dinner?

...enjoy every excursion activity at a port stop or sit by the beach/pool doing nothing?

...meticulously scrimp and save for an economically prepaid trip or blow the bank by putting an extravagent trip on the credit card?

Just wanted to get your thoughts. My husband isn't as sold on the cruise as I am so any advice to bring him to his senses would be greatly appreciate it! We've made a trip to WDW both this year and last year with our kids (will be 5 and 3) and have had a fantastic time.

thanks!!

Feb 2013 - AKL, 3 Night Bahamian Cruise on Dream, POR
Jan 2013 - WDW Half Marathon

Feb 2012 - Polynesian
Feb 2011 - Polynesian, Wilderness Campground
Oct 2006 - Wilderness Lodge

----

hoosthatmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Favorite Auntie
8 Disney nieces & nephews!
I'm in the loop now!
The real question should be WHEN do they sleep??
The TF's friend

Hi all -- I am new here and in the process of planning our family's first Disney Cruise. Just had a few questions for you experts out there! So tell me, would you rather...

...take a 4 day Bahamas cruise with a vernadah room or a 7 day carribbean with a magical porthole room? NOTE: as a family of 4 7 day cruise with inside cabin...just get me on the ship!

...plan your trip months and months in advance or wait for a last minute deal? If I had the luxury to be able to wait for a last minute deal I would, but I have to have airfare from NH, so that isn't an option for me.

...attend the pirate deck party in full pirate gear or get all dolled up for a semiformal dinner? Personally hate pirate party, so I would just enjoy dinner

...enjoy every excursion activity at a port stop or sit by the beach/pool doing nothing? Going on my 10th DC in a few weeks, so I have seen the ports. I will be sitting my the pools.

...meticulously scrimp and save for an economically prepaid trip or blow the bank by putting an extravagent trip on the credit card?Hate using the credit card, so I would save, but that is just me

Just wanted to get your thoughts. My husband isn't as sold on the cruise as I am so any advice to bring him to his senses would be greatly appreciate it! We've made a trip to WDW both this year and last year with our kids (will be 5 and 3) and have had a fantastic time.

thanks!!

MANY IN BETWEEN!!!

Favorite Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
bahacca
Mouseketeer

This is our first cruise on DCL, but here are my thoughts:
...take a 4 day Bahamas cruise with a vernadah room or a 7 day carribbean with a magical porthole room? NOTE: as a family of 4 --If prices were equal, 7 day, no question. You won't be in your room that much.

...plan your trip months and months in advance or wait for a last minute deal? Depends on if you have major flexibility in when you can go. Like I PERSONALLY won't take my kids out of school for a cruise, so I'd want to plan since most times they'd be out are high season. If I were willing to take them out of school, I'd do a last minute deal.

...attend the pirate deck party in full pirate gear or get all dolled up for a semiformal dinner? What is meant by "all dolled up for semi-formal dinner" If this means something like paying for bibbidy bobbidy, I'd do the pirate. At least you can use that stuff for halloween in the future. And you didn't mention if your kids were boys, girls or both. That could make a difference as well. I have 2 girls and I'd still do Pirate party over "all dolled up." Then again, I found NICE dresses for my girls for FORMAL night at Sears for $20, so....

...enjoy every excursion activity at a port stop or sit by the beach/pool doing nothing? No need to decide-split them up. FInd 1 excursion you REALLY REALLY want to do and then veg at the other ones.

...meticulously scrimp and save for an economically prepaid trip or blow the bank by putting an extravagent trip on the credit card? Prepaid trip. There is no way on God's Green Earth I would EVER go into debt for a vacation. If you cannot afford it, you don't go. PERIOD. Only exception to this I would make was if one of my children was dying and they had a wish to go someplace.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosthatmouse View Post

...take a 4 day Bahamas cruise with a vernadah room or a 7 day carribbean with a magical porthole room? NOTE: as a family of 4 For us longer is better, so the 7 night inside.

...plan your trip months and months in advance or wait for a last minute deal? Generally, plan in advance, but have done last minute bookings.

...attend the pirate deck party in full pirate gear or get all dolled up for a semiformal dinner? Totally, pirate gear and formal dresses.

...enjoy every excursion activity at a port stop or sit by the beach/pool doing nothing? The first time we visit a port, we take a tour that sort of hit the high spots. Subsequent visits, depending on what we saw, either take a different tour or just walk around.

...meticulously scrimp and save for an economically prepaid trip or blow the bank by putting an extravagent trip on the credit card?Not really scrimp and save, but, on the other hand, don't go for the extravagent stuff either.

thanks!!
My answers in red.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

...take a 4 day Bahamas cruise with a vernadah room or a 7 day carribbean with a magical porthole room? NOTE: as a family of 4

7 day with an inside room and try for an upgrade at the port. If no upgrade was available, I would still rather have the longer time in the inside room.

Depends on where we are going. If I have to fly across country to FL, then plan months in advance. If it was out of LA, last minute deal.

...attend the pirate deck party in full pirate gear or get all dolled up for a semiformal dinner?

Same answer as above since flying comes with luggage weight limits. But I would dress up for both if I could. If I had to pick one or the other, then I guess I would pick pirate night since it is fun to take pictures in costume.

...enjoy every excursion activity at a port stop or sit by the beach/pool doing nothing?

Depends on the port stop. If I have been there before or have no interest, then beach/pool. If I haven't been before, I would probably do an excursion to see the area.

...meticulously scrimp and save for an economically prepaid trip or blow the bank by putting an extravagent trip on the credit card?

scrimp and save. I do not like spending my vacation worrying about how much money I am spending. I pay as much as I can in advance and then save extra to bring for spending money.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
jbuckent
DIS Veteran

...take a 4 day Bahamas cruise with a vernadah room or a 7 day carribbean with a magical porthole room? NOTE: as a family of 4. Depends on how old your family is. If you have young kids who will be naping or going to bed early, I'd want the verandah. If they are out of the napping age and might want to spend an evening in the kids club go for the 7 day! I guess I'd also hesitate a 7 day for my first cruise not knowing how I or anyone in my family will deal with motion sickness.

...plan your trip months and months in advance or wait for a last minute deal? Months in advance unless you live near port.

...attend the pirate deck party in full pirate gear or get all dolled up for a semiformal dinner? I think the pirate party is fun no matter how you dress, not going to say with certainty that they still do but we have always got a bandana for pirate night which is festive enough for me! I'd feel out of place if I wasn't dressed up for semiformal night.

...enjoy every excursion activity at a port stop or sit by the beach/pool doing nothing? Depends on the port!!!! Nassau I'd stay on the less crowded boat, maybe get off for a little while and walk around the straw market. Most other places we go on the beach excursions (my youngest is still to young for the exciting excursion).

...meticulously scrimp and save for an economically prepaid trip or blow the bank by putting an extravagent trip on the credit card? I wouldn't feel comfortable paying credit card interest rates for a vacation.

Just saw the ages of your kids, they will likely need some downtime mid day where you will be spending time in your room, I'd go for the 4 day with veranda. We usually turn on the tv for the kids to relax, and sit out on the veranda with a bottle of wine and the cheese and fruit plate from room service. Then if you are on the 4 day, don't do any planned excursion, enjoy time at the pool and get off the boat to walk around a bit. At Castaway Cay rent bikes and then enjoy the beach!
2/2011 Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean | 2/2012 Five nights at Port Orleans French Quarter and 2/2012 Disney Dream 3-night Bahamas
3/2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean with San Juan

11/2014 Wine & Dine half marathon followed by
11/2014 Disney Dream 4-night Bahamas
jbuckent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

7 day Caribbean cruise...I would rather go for longer

We always plan months in advance...Have always paid cash and book early so we can spread the payments out.

Personally I would rather do full pirate gear if I had to choose

We like to explore the ports--I like the excursions. I find they are a fun way to see what the ports have to offer. We only choose 1 excursion per port and depending on the excursion, there may be time in the day to sit and do nothing by a pool or beach.

We always pay cash. I don't want an unwanted credit card payment hanging over my head after the trip is over. Also by doing this, we can start planning the next trip as soon the current one is over

thanks!!

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/]2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani, 8/2014 RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
JadeHicks
Iowa

Quote:

...take a 4 day Bahamas cruise with a vernadah room or a 7 day carribbean with a magical porthole room? NOTE: as a family of 4 Longer is better but just get me on the ship! We've only done verandah's, however, as long as I'm on the ship - its all good.

...plan your trip months and months in advance or wait for a last minute deal? Plan for months. Anticipation is half the fun!

...attend the pirate deck party in full pirate gear or get all dolled up for a semiformal dinner? I can get dressed up and go out to eat where I live, but I never get a chance to dress up like a pirate.

...enjoy every excursion activity at a port stop or sit by the beach/pool doing nothing? Again, I can sit by a pool at home, so I'm all about excursions. Its like I'm going to be visiting these countries again anytime soon.

...meticulously scrimp and save for an economically prepaid trip or blow the bank by putting an extravagent trip on the credit card? scrimp and save, you'll thank yourself later.

thanks!!
Have fun and you'll REALLY enjoy the cruise!
2011 Disney Magic - 7 day Western
2011 WDW
2012 WDW - DS performed during evening parade
2012 Hollywood Studios
2013 Disney Fantasy - 7 day Eastern (Puerto Rico)
2014 Disney Wonder - 5 day Western (No CC)
2015 Disney Wonder - 5 Day Western (with CC)
JadeHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
redsonja76
Mouseketeer

My answers in red:

Quote:

...take a 4 day Bahamas cruise with a vernadah room or a 7 day carribbean with a magical porthole room? NOTE: as a family of 4 While I am a slave to the balcony rooms, I'd go for the longer cruise.

...plan your trip months and months in advance or wait for a last minute deal? months in advance. You don't know if you're going to find that last minute deal.

...attend the pirate deck party in full pirate gear or get all dolled up for a semiformal dinner? Neither lol! I hate getting dressed up for either.

...enjoy every excursion activity at a port stop or sit by the beach/pool doing nothing? Beach/pool do nothing!

...meticulously scrimp and save for an economically prepaid trip or blow the bank by putting an extravagent trip on the credit card?Scrimp and save. No vacation is worth debt.

thanks!!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
aymekae
Mouseketeer

7 Day Caribbean!

So far, I plan all vacations months in advance, but I dream daily of not only finding but actually getting to book a great, last minute deal.

Neither, I simply don't like dressing up!

Maybe one excursion per port if there's something interesting, otherwise relax!

Save up; we never carry credit card debt for anything.

I'd like to say I think it's awesome that many of the answers so far are almost exactly the same!

Ben (32) Ayme (28) Ian (10 mo)

DLR Trips - Last: Sep. 2013 Next: Jan. 2014
Honeymoon to WDW (Wilderness Lodge) Sep. 11, 2008
Western Caribbean Cruise (Magic) Dec. 10, 2011
Aulani Nov. 3-12, 2012
Eastern Caribbean Cruise (Fantasy) Dec. 14, 2013
Disneyland Jan. 16-18, 2014 (Neverland 5K)
aymekae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
...take a 4 day Bahamas cruise with a vernadah room or a 7 day carribbean with a magical porthole room? NOTE: as a family of 4 I would go for the longer cruise
...plan your trip months and months in advance or wait for a last minute deal? We always book our cruise over a year out. Normally as soon as the dates come out.
...attend the pirate deck party in full pirate gear or get all dolled up for a semiformal dinner? Semiformal dinner
...enjoy every excursion activity at a port stop or sit by the beach/pool doing nothing? If it's a new we do an excursion. We are doing the Four night Dream just to see it. Been to the Bahama's three times, will not get off the Dream
...meticulously scrimp and save for an economically prepaid trip or blow the bank by putting an extravagent trip on the credit card?We save for our vacations,

Just wanted to get your thoughts. My husband isn't as sold on the cruise as I am so any advice to bring him to his senses would be greatly appreciate it! We've made a trip to WDW both this year and last year with our kids (will be 5 and 3) and have had a fantastic time. Hopefully a cruise will convince him that it's a great vacation. It did me; I love to cruise from our very first cruise.

thanks!!
You'll have a great time what ever you choose.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Off-site 2015, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

No question - 7 day. I said before, I would sleep on Deck 4 on one of the loungers if they would let me. LOL

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: