DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
corpcomp
The 100 Yard Dash and Mr. D

Local Tipping and Maid Service - Home

Two questions:

We sometimes go to Outback Steakhouse near WDW (love their steak) and get the curb side service. So they bring the food out to the car, we pay and leave and bring back to the room. If you have ever done this, do you tip them and if so how much - DW thinks we should be paying at least 10% but for 1 minute of bringing the food to the car, I think she is being overly generous. In the Northeast, for a sit down meal, 20-25% regular tipping is the norm we are used to, especially for really great service (which is more rare than it used to be). She thinks 15% is being cheap.

2nd, and this is not directly WDW related so if the monitors need to eliminate this I understand, if you have a maid service in your home, what do you pay hourly? We have a maid coming in every two weeks for 5 hours and DW gives her $140 each time. Since DW works, I cannot complain.

1980-2000 - too many to count
March 01 Poly, March 02, 03 Coronado Springs
March 04 Caribbean Beaches, March 05, 06 Coronado Springs
July 06, April 07, April 08 BCV, June 08 BWV & Yacht Club, Feb 09 BWV, Halloween 09 SSR & BWV, April 10, July 10 BCV & VWL, Aug 11 BWV, Aug 12 BCV, April 13 BCV, NYE 13 BLT & BCV
corpcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

I wouldn't tip. IMO we tip too much and it has become expected and not earned in many cases.

Rate for housecleaning would be based on where you live, house size etc.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

I would not tip for curbside service either. I also don't usually tip at any counter service places (Subway, etc.) or anywhere they have a labeled tip jar (pet peeve of mine) either. We never get food delivered to our home, but if we did I would tip the delivery person. I tip when somebody waits on me throughout a meal, not when they bring my to-go order to me. We are also from CT and tip 20% in full-service restaurants. If the service is bad we adjust accordingly, but our starting point is that 20%.

We do not have a maid so I can't help you with that one.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
DisneyBill

DIS Veteran

We do indeed tip the curbside attendant. Amount varies, but always a few dollars, up to about 10%. Do the same when picking up pizza or Chinese from a local joint since they know us. Now if I get an "I don't care about your business attitude" from them, then it's nothing. Often give the guys at a quick-lube place a few dollars "for a soda". The gals who know how my sandwiches are to be made at subway also get recognized. Isn't that what we're supposed to do for service? I don't necessarily just put the money in a tip jar, I make certain the recipient knows they're being rewarded/recognized.

Don't have a maid. Can't afford one because we tip everyone...
DisneyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
quirty30
DIS Veteran

If I go inside myself, to pick up a to-go order, I don't tip. But if I use the curbside pick-up, I absolutely tip, usually 10% or so. You do realize those are servers who have to run outside and bring you your order? I don't think it merits a 15-20% tip, but certainly it warrants a few bucks.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Housekeeping varies around the country. Here in the Mid-West several friends have housekeeping and pay $80.00 per visit (around 4 hours).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: