Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
longing4disney
Mouseketeer

Would u bring a 6yo non-swimmer to DC?

We are thinking of a visit to a Discovery Cove. Our boys are looking forward to it. Only problem is that DD is only 6 and not a swimmer. She is also a scaddy cat when it comes to animals. But when she saw the video of the dolphins interaction at DC on the Internet, she says that she wants to go too. I understand that DC provides life vest which can keep her afloat. I'm wondering if we should take her as well. I had initially thought I'd to sit out of DC and accompany DD to do something else at Disney. Now that she wants to try DC, I'm excited at being able to do it too. Only think is that it is really expensive for 5 of us and I'm not sure if it is worth it to bring DD since she won't be able to snorkel and she is terrified of bird flying at her (so not sure if she'll do the aviary as well). Has anyone brought a non swimmer young child to DC? What is your feedback?

May 1996 : Offsite, Disneyland, CA
Nov 2007 : Contemporary, WDW
Jun 2010 : Disneyland Hotel, HK Disneyland
Nov 2012 : The Poly, WDW
longing4disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

It think Discovery Cove has a lot to offer smaller children, and that its a great place for young school-agers. I wouldn't worry about her swimming ability.....floatation devices are readily available to ensure she can relax and enjoy her day. She could easily enjoy the Freshwater Oasis (watching the otters and marmosets play) and the lazy river with a parent as long as she was wearing a life jacket.

There are great sand beaches that are fun for building sandcastles. And the dolphin encounter is an amazing experience for the whole family.

If she has a fear of animals, the two places where she sounds like she might feel uncomfortable would be in the aviary and snorkeling in the Grand Reef (where the fish and rays would be swimming around her legs). I don't think there's anything threatening at all about either place (just the opposite, actually), and I think they would be fantastic experiences for her if she would just give them a try, but only you know her best.

I would want my whole family to enjoy a place like DC rather than breaking up for the day and heading in different directions. The park is incredible and has something for every age. Its relaxing and calming and really, really worth the cost of admission.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
longing4disney
Mouseketeer

Thanks Gina!
I think we've decided. We'll just go for it!
I have read both your reviews. They are wonderful, and thanks for posting photos.
May I know how much did you pay for the cabana? Are there different packages? I'm wondering if we should get one in case DD needs a rest or nap. Is there any specific cabana area that you will recommend?

Old 10-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing4disney View Post
Thanks Gina!
I have read both your reviews. They are wonderful, and thanks for posting photos.
May I know how much did you pay for the cabana? Are there different packages? I'm wondering if we should get one in case DD needs a rest or nap. Is there any specific cabana area that you will recommend?
Thanks for the kind comments on my trip reports . I am glad you found them helpful!

We paid $229 for the cabana with the "premium package" add-on. The premium package allowed us to book the cabana more than three weeks in advance of our visit (when cabana-only reservations are released.....cabanas, by themselves, are $179) and provided some great inclusions. We received a sling backpack, a DC t-shirt, a personalized bouy (if you do a dolphin swim, it will be delivered to your family by the dolphin....so awesome!), a disposable waterproof camera, a 6 x 8 adventure photo, our choice of a plush dolphin or a 6 x 8 photo frame, and 25% off the Ultimate Photo Package (if my math is correct, thats a $55 savings all on its own). It was a nice splurge and great to have a "home base" to relax and put our feet up out of the sun. We even had a little siesta mid-day (all that swimming is tiring).

As for cabana locations, I am not even sure where some of them are......while not in "remote" locations, neither are they out in the open. The are tucked away nicely and you'd hardly notice some of them unless you were really looking. Ours next to the Grand Reef was a great location and we were very pleased.

Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Old 10-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Whoops! Meant also to say that there are different cabana packages depending on how much your want to pay and what items you want to have included. This link from the DC website might help:

http://discoverycove.com/Plan/PackageDetail.aspx?id=681

Have fun at DC!!! My bet is your family will LOVE it!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
nd5056
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing4disney View Post
Thanks Gina!
As it is the right thing to do.

I'd rather see the money go to waste as she sits it out ( but I'm sure she won't) then her asking to join you & you had to tell her that she can't... It would brake both of your hearts.

Enjoy the swim.
nd5056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
FreeThinker
Mouseketeer

We took all of our kids (9, 7, 4, 4 and 1) to DC this summer. They all loved it! The 4 year olds loved the aviary, playing in the sand, playing in the water, ect. My 7 year old was a little afraid of the dolphin encounter, and she isn't a strong swimmer. They let her do a shallow swim with the dolphin. My 9 year old can swim, but again not a strong swimmer, and they took her out for the deepwater swim w/ DH. They let her go first, so she didn't have to tread water for long. It was a neat exerience, and I am glad we all went together. We plan tot ake the 4 year olds when they are old enough
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
longing4disney
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone, I feel so much more at ease knowing that others in DD's age group had enjoyed their experience.

Gina, thanks for the link to the packages. Silly me had never thought of looking at the celebration tab as we are not celebrating any special occasion the premium package does look like a gd deal. I think we'll probably do that. Gives DD a place to rest or nap

Last edited by longing4disney; 10-04-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: