Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
rosh
Earning My Ears

Righting a wrong - 7 days to SURPRISE No.1! *REVEAL VIDEO ADDED!*

REVEAL VIDEO NOW ADDED AT BOTTOM OF POST

The background to our surprise.....

In November 2010 we had our first trip to Florida, it was to be me and my wife, our (then) 5 yr old daughter, my two sisters-in-law, my brother and his girlfriend, and my parents.

Sadly, the morning when we were getting ready to load the car up to go to my parents to get a taxi all together to Gatwick, my mum phoned to tell me that my dad had not been well the night before and had fallen back into a bout of severe depression. He had suffered badly a few years earlier and been off work for months getting better. He could not even get out of bed, and they had to completely cancel. As you can imagine, this was a desperately sad time for all of us, and my parents lost thousands of pounds.

My daughter is the apple of her Grandad's eye and he was tearing himself apart that a) he could affect our happiness in enjoying our trip, and b) that he couldn't get to see my daughter doing all the amazing things we were going to do.

The rest of us went, emailed them daily with plenty of pictures - which seemed to help him through his illness, we made a journal of our daily activities and made an amazing holiday video to show them when we got home. I made them a photobook of our holiday which I gave them that Christmas. There was many tears of sadness and equally many of happiness in those two months.

Of course, what was intended to be a 'once in a lifetime' holiday, ended up with us saying we want to go back again and again as often as we possibly can.

We have always told our daughter that we would next go back when she is eleven - she will tell you that to this day if you ask her. What she doesn't know is that next Tuesday we fly out for 19 days, this time WITH her Nanny and Grandad!!!!!

She knows Nanny and Grandad are going on Holiday next week, however on Monday her surprise No.1 is that she will be missing school on Tuesday as we are taking them to Gatwick airport, staying over, and seeing them off at the airport!

Once at the airport on Tuesday morning we will hit her with the BIG ONE!!!

Can't Wait!!!!

Feel free to 'like' our Facebook page here http://www.facebook.com/TheRoshiersDoFlorida2012?ref=hl
where we hope to upload a short video of the main surprise reveal as well as post pictures and updates of our holiday as we go along.

UPDATE!!
Finally I have finished editting the intro for our video which includes the reveal at Gatwick, see here -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlWRauAvm4c

Last edited by rosh; 03-19-2013 at 04:43 PM.
rosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Shazzie B
DIS Veteran

How fantastic Have a great time we'll be just behind you, fly next Thursday - my ticker is from Weds as that's when we leave home!

May 2002 All Star Movies; May 2003 La Quinta 192; Dec 2004 Nikki Bird; April 2006 Holiday Inn & Dolphin Beach, St. Petes; Aug 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge; Aug 2008 Coronado Springs; Aug 2009 Highlands Reserve & Animal Kingdom Lodge; Oct 2010 Best Western Lakeside; Oct 2012 Arcadia Gardens; Sept 2013 Old Key West;Sept 2014 Transatlantic on Magic

Shazzie B is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
stoneyloon
Mouseketeer

Sounds amazing!
Have a fantastic trip...

• 2014 - Elvis Wedding in Vegas and Disneyland California for a change.
  • 2012 - Disney's Wilderness Lodge
  • 2010 - Buena Vista Palace
  • 2008 - Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
  • 2005 - I Drive cheap'n'cheerful
  • 1989 - Kissimmee cheapest place we could find!
stoneyloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
queendisney
DIS Veteran

wow how wonderful.

Better join you in your SDD...

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

What a fantastic suprise for your DD - hope you have a wonderful trip
20+ trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP, Cabana bay and Universal Oct 2014

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
disney_princess_85
Liked the sky effect
If we feel like having pop tarts for breakfast we can

Have a great trip.
January 2002- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, October 2007- Disneyland Paris, Newport Bay Club, May 2008- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort, January 2009- Disneyland Paris, Holiday Inn, March 2009- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, May 2009- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2009- Walt Disney World, Coronado Springs/Universal Studios, Hard Rock Hotel Club Level, November 2009- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, February 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, May 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, August-September 2010- Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort Club Level, October 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, December 2010-January 2011- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2011- Walt Disney World, POFQ/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs, October 2012- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Wilderness Lodge, February 2013- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, October 2013- Walt Disney World, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, May 2014- Disneyland, Paradise Pier

Lauren
disney_princess_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
Tinkerpeas hubby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh
Well, after over a year of planning we are finally into our surprise trip SDD

The background to our surprise.....

In November 2010 we had our first trip to Florida, it was to be me and my wife, our (then) 5 yr old daughter, my two sisters-in-law, my brother and his girlfriend, and my parents.

Sadly, the morning when we were getting ready to load the car up to go to my parents to get a taxi all together to Gatwick, my mum phoned to tell me that my dad had not been well the night before and had fallen back into a bout of severe depression. He had suffered badly a few years earlier and been off work for months getting better. He could not even get out of bed, and they had to completely cancel. As you can imagine, this was a desperately sad time for all of us, and my parents lost thousands of pounds.

My daughter is the apple of her Grandad's eye and he was tearing himself apart that a) he could affect our happiness in enjoying our trip, and b) that he couldn't get to see my daughter doing all the amazing things we were going to do.

The rest of us went, emailed them daily with plenty of pictures - which seemed to help him through his illness, we made a journal of our daily activities and made an amazing holiday video to show them when we got home. I made them a photobook of our holiday which I gave them that Christmas. There was many tears of sadness and equally many of happiness in those two months.

Of course, what was intended to be a 'once in a lifetime' holiday, ended up with us saying we want to go back again and again as often as we possibly can.

We have always told our daughter that we would next go back when she is eleven - she will tell you that to this day if you ask her. What she doesn't know is that next Tuesday we fly out for 19 days, this time WITH her Nanny and Grandad!!!!!

She knows Nanny and Grandad are going on Holiday next week, however on Monday her surprise No.1 is that she will be missing school on Tuesday as we are taking them to Gatwick airport, staying over, and seeing them off at the airport!

Once at the airport on Tuesday morning we will hit her with the BIG ONE!!!

Can't Wait!!!!

Feel free to 'like' our Facebook page here http://www.facebook.com/TheRoshiersDoFlorida2012?ref=hl
where we hope to upload a short video of the main surprise reveal as well as post pictures and updates of our holiday as we go along.

Hope everything goes much smoother for you this time!
We will be surprising our 3 boys with a trip on Sunday and I can't wait!!!

Moi (31): dw (27): B (10) Ant (7): Avatar (7):
Tinkerpeas hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:42 AM   #8
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

She ill love it!!

We're surprising our children with this trip too next Wednesday! :D

Oct 2012 - 2 weeks Southern Dunes+1 night at the Hard Rock Hotel!
Oct 2009 - 2 weeks Pop Century
Jan 2000 - 2 weeks Ramada Inn International Drive
Oct/Nov 1995 - 5 weeks Lindfields Villa, Kissimmee
madmumof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:47 AM   #9
wen-tom
spit spot!

what an amazing surprise for her
I've 'liked' your facebook page too so I will follow your surprise over there

Hope you all have an amazing time!

wen-tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
kitcat1
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad that your dear dad is feeling much better....depression is a terrible illness especially for men. Its really wonderful that you are all going back together. Keep us informed about how you get on....so exciting. I'm going to have a look at your facebook page now.

Cath
Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
rosh
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the good wishes guys!

Getting real close now and I just can't help feeling that because we've been keeping everything a secret for so long that I've forgotten something in the planning!
Old 10-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #12
rosh
Earning My Ears

Secret packing day today!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #13
rosh
Earning My Ears

Well we made it! The surprise went pretty well, our DD couldn't believe it, hope to get a video up on our facebook page if my laptop gets working. Not a bad trip over, bit bumpy. Arrived to the villa about 7pm, to Seaworld yesterday, dined with Shamu (an absolute must do IMHO, incredible!). Rest day today for a little shopping and DTD. Tomorrow is another surprise - CRT at Magic Kingdom for breakfast.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
mrtoffee
Mouseketeer

Glad your there safe and I hope you all have a fantastic holiday
Old 10-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
PJB71
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear you arrived safely

Look forward to reading more

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: