Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
danicaca
Mouseketeer

Just booked Delta, have a few ???'s

Hello! Just booked our flights this morning for our trip next May - and I know it is early, but I am a plan waaaay ahead type of gal As far as carry-on bags go, Delta says one carry-on for the overhead baggage area, and one personal item. I know for me, it will be my extra large purse, and DH his laptop. But as far as my kids, can they carry a backpack as theirs? They will probably have small rolling suitcases for their overhead carry-on, but I want them to bring a backpack as well. Also, do you think two large suitcases will be enough for our family of four as far as checked baggage? I know we will have some souvenirs, and I usually over pack, but I am going to try and leave some room for anything we might bring back. Can you tell this is the first time we have flown as a family? Any suggestions for our baggage. I should probably say that my kiddos will be 5 and 8 at the time of travel. Thanks in advance for any advice or tips!
No countdown for now, but a trip in December of this year or perhaps next is in the works - woo hoo!
danicaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
DarthMama
Mouseketeer

I can't answer all your questions, but I do know about the kid's backpacks! Our kids (8 and 4) usually have a backpack with toys to play with on the flight, plus their own rolling carry-on. We've never had a problem with the airlines with that.
DarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

we have done - a backpack each (not a massive one - just a normal sized one) and a rolling carry on each.

No problems at all on Delta.

2 large suitcases should be plenty of room (although my version of large and most people's is different...I have a big 30 inch suitcase and I know that was harder to find with most only carrying up to 26/27 inch bags). Still, we usually do 2 very large suitcases with barely any carry ons...and that's plenty of room.

My big advice is to pack a packable travel bag into your suitcase in the event you end up needing more space for a 3rd bag. For some reason going out, we're well within weight limit and coming back, I'm always overweight and have to repack a little. Dirty clothes must weigh more!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

As long as the backpack or other item fits under the seat in front of you it will be fine as a "personal item."
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
As long as the backpack or other item fits under the seat in front of you it will be fine as a "personal item."
+1.

That is pretty much the definition for a personal item.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

We are a family of 5. We went to Mexico for vacation this summer, here are the bags we brought (flying Delta)...

3 checked bags (1 large, 2 medium). There was 1 empty bag inside our large bag, so on the way home, we had 4 checked bags.
Each kid had a backpack carryon.
I had a backpack with laptop, camera gear, and other electronics
DW had a small wheeled carryon that had 24 hours worth of clothing (and swimsuits). this is MANDATORY any time I fly.

Now, to save a little $$... we have the Delta AmEx card. That entitles us to 1 free checked bag each (up to 9 travelers). It's free for the first year. I got one in 2011 before our Disney trip (same luggage as above), cancelled it at the year mark and DW got one for our Mexico trip. So we have saved $300 in luggage fees alone.

In that year, DW got enough miles so we're paying for our plane tickets for vacation next year with miles ($400).

If you'd like some more information, let me know.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
QueenElinor
Yes, they really ARE all redheads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMama View Post
I can't answer all your questions, but I do know about the kid's backpacks! Our kids (8 and 4) usually have a backpack with toys to play with on the flight, plus their own rolling carry-on. We've never had a problem with the airlines with that.
OUr family has done this for years and years with three kids and never had a problem on Delta. (or any airline).
QueenElinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
danicaca
Mouseketeer

Wow - thanks for all of your answers - I love this site! Now someone needs to talk me out of my buyer's remorse. When we first checked flights, it was around $1149 for us to fly Omaha to MCO. A couple of weeks ago, it was up to $2200. We kind of freaked out, but knew that prices had to go down, right? I checked again yesterday, and it was back down to $1600, so we decided to go ahead and book. Our total was $1666.44 including fees, taxes, and trip insurance. Some people say we got a good deal, others are saying we should have waited until closer to our trip. I was worried that if we waited, we would end up spending a lot more money than we wanted. Any thoughts? Did we totally blow it? Hubby is starting to second guess our purchase. Does anyone know if we got the trip insurance, can we cancel if we find a better deal? Just in case...
No countdown for now, but a trip in December of this year or perhaps next is in the works - woo hoo!
danicaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicaca View Post
Wow - thanks for all of your answers - I love this site! Now someone needs to talk me out of my buyer's remorse. When we first checked flights, it was around $1149 for us to fly Omaha to MCO. A couple of weeks ago, it was up to $2200. We kind of freaked out, but knew that prices had to go down, right? I checked again yesterday, and it was back down to $1600, so we decided to go ahead and book. Our total was $1666.44 including fees, taxes, and trip insurance. Some people say we got a good deal, others are saying we should have waited until closer to our trip. I was worried that if we waited, we would end up spending a lot more money than we wanted. Any thoughts? Did we totally blow it? Hubby is starting to second guess our purchase. Does anyone know if we got the trip insurance, can we cancel if we find a better deal? Just in case...
First, if it's going to bother you if the prices go down, there's a very easy solution... don't look. If you don't know the prices went down, you can't be upset, right?

As far as trip insurance, I don't know. My only recommendation would be to look at the following...
1) Do you need to have the trip insurance bought within a certain amount of time for it to cover air fare?
2) Does the trip insurance cover ANY reason for cancellation? Something that needs medical or weather proof won't help you.
3) What's the cost of the trip insurance?
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I bought insurance through Delta for my last trip and it includes cancellation or interruption due to:

Health - must have a doctor examine
Death
Quarantine
Traffic Accident
Legal - jury duty or court appearance
Environment - home uninhabitable
Canceled services - natural disaster or severe weather over 24 hours
Hijacking
Terrorism - at your foreign destination
Work - termination or layoff not your fault
Extended travel delay - miss more than half the trip
Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
nefritz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicaca
Hey I'm flying out of Omaha as well, right now I've got them for six people at 1314, I'm holding bc bing says to, but who the heck knows if bing is right?!?! I'm tempted to hit buy, bc I'm afraid they're going to go up. When are your dates? Ours are 12/11-12/17.
nefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
nefritz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefritz

Hey I'm flying out of Omaha as well, right now I've got them for six people at 1314, I'm holding bc bing says to, but who the heck knows if bing is right?!?! I'm tempted to hit buy, bc I'm afraid they're going to go up. When are your dates? Ours are 12/11-12/17.
Sorry I see May it's early still for me!
nefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefritz View Post
Personally, I would already have purchased tickets for a trip in Dec. in fact, I have!
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: