Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Kristi391
Mouseketeer

Venting-Visiting the World with someone who doesn't want to be there

So another thread about people not having fun got me thinking and worrying about my upcoming trip so I decided to vent here.

My family and I are going for a long weekend next weekend, checking in on Friday the 12 and leaving late on Monday the 15. It is going to be myself, my parents, my youngest brother and his girlfriend, my middle brother, his wife and 2.5 year old nephew.

The problem is my middle brother. He does not want to go and is being miserable about the whole thing.

A bit of back story:
I had wanted to go down to celebrate my upcoming 40th birthday with all of us. When I presented it to middle brother over the summer he immediately said "No" He said he and his wife were going down next spring (renting DVC points from my cousin) and couldn't justify spending $$ to go down in the fall. A few days later my mom told me that my dad might have lung cancer (He has already had bladder and throat cancer) and he was seeing a pulmonary doc in the next week. At that point I made the decision that I was going to get us all down there. Since my nephew was born, dad has been talking about taking him to WDW. So, I decided I would book the rooms and tickets by either taking out a 401k loan or just using my Disney Visa, which has no balance (I know not a smart money move) so my dad would get this chance to spend with his grandson. So, fast forward and brother agreed to go, stating he had no choice. Dad is beyond excited. (Just polyps on his lungs, btw so that is good news)

So, knowing brother is not excited about the trip, I haven't brought up anything about it to him, just telling him when we were going and what hotel we are staying at. I have talked to his wife and we made some ADRs and talked about things that would be good for the toddler.

So last weekend we went out for ice cream and sister in law and I are talking about breakfast at Hollywood and Vine and brother pipes in, "We have to go to breakfast on this vacation?" Then started asking some other questions and complaining about things such as, busses, the hotel, getting up early and the halloween party. I have told him he doesn't have to go to any of the things planned but he just grumbled that he wasn't going to skip it.

SIL says that he will be fine once we get down there, but I am just frustrated. I am trying to do something nice for my family and brother just seems intent on being a PIA about it. I just feel that he agreed to go so he should suck it up and stop complaining! I am also nervous tht every little thing that might go wrong (weather, long lines, a spider in his room) he is going to blame on me. Which, clearly I know isn't my fault, but I don't like to have to listen to it.

Everyone else is very excited about going and busy making Peter Pan themed costumes!

Ok, thanks for listening

Past Trips
1974-Off Site
1976-Off Site
1984-Fort Wilderness
1999-Off Site
2002-Off Site
2003-All Star Music
2004-Pop Century
2005-Off Site
2007-Pop Century
2011-Pop Century
2012-Pop Century
2013-All-Star Movies
2013-Pop Century
2014-Port Orleans French Quarter
Kristi391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi391 View Post
So another thread about people not having fun got me thinking and worrying about my upcoming trip so I decided to vent here.

My family and I are going for a long weekend next weekend, checking in on Friday the 12 and leaving late on Monday the 15. It is going to be myself, my parents, my youngest brother and his girlfriend, my middle brother, his wife and 2.5 year old nephew.

The problem is my middle brother. He does not want to go and is being miserable about the whole thing.

A bit of back story:
I had wanted to go down to celebrate my upcoming 40th birthday with all of us. When I presented it to middle brother over the summer he immediately said "No" He said he and his wife were going down next spring (renting DVC points from my cousin) and couldn't justify spending $$ to go down in the fall. A few days later my mom told me that my dad might have lung cancer (He has already had bladder and throat cancer) and he was seeing a pulmonary doc in the next week. At that point I made the decision that I was going to get us all down there. Since my nephew was born, dad has been talking about taking him to WDW. So, I decided I would book the rooms and tickets by either taking out a 401k loan or just using my Disney Visa, which has no balance (I know not a smart money move) so my dad would get this chance to spend with his grandson. So, fast forward and brother agreed to go, stating he had no choice. Dad is beyond excited. (Just polyps on his lungs, btw so that is good news)

So, knowing brother is not excited about the trip, I haven't brought up anything about it to him, just telling him when we were going and what hotel we are staying at. I have talked to his wife and we made some ADRs and talked about things that would be good for the toddler.

So last weekend we went out for ice cream and sister in law and I are talking about breakfast at Hollywood and Vine and brother pipes in, "We have to go to breakfast on this vacation?" Then started asking some other questions and complaining about things such as, busses, the hotel, getting up early and the halloween party. I have told him he doesn't have to go to any of the things planned but he just grumbled that he wasn't going to skip it.

SIL says that he will be fine once we get down there, but I am just frustrated. I am trying to do something nice for my family and brother just seems intent on being a PIA about it. I just feel that he agreed to go so he should suck it up and stop complaining! I am also nervous tht every little thing that might go wrong (weather, long lines, a spider in his room) he is going to blame on me. Which, clearly I know isn't my fault, but I don't like to have to listen to it.

Everyone else is very excited about going and busy making Peter Pan themed costumes!

Ok, thanks for listening
You cannot control how people act. You can only control how you react to them.

Don't allow your brother's sour attitude to steal your magic. If he begins to complain, remind him that he isn't attached to you at the hip. He can go where he wants to, when he wants to and he can join up with the family when he decides to. Something tells me that since you're paying for all of this, he might feel obligated to do what you want. Just remind him that you would rather spend quality time with him. The quantity is not important.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Nancy F
DIS Veteran

I'd tell him to shut up about it or stay home! But that's just me.

Nancy
Old 10-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Seriously? Your brother didn't want to go, therefore, you decided that he would go? It doesn't sound like he really agreed to go. More that you guilted him into going using your father as an excuse.

Don't let him spoil your mood, but don't dictate his. I would be very pissed off if someone told me where I had to go on vacation.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

It sounds like your brother feels like he was forced into a trip he never wanted to take. Maybe the spring trip he had planned was something special, and he feels like this trip will ruin it. I hope you trip turns out well, and the bad apple doesn't spoil the bunch.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy F View Post

Nancy
He tried to stay home, but was guilted into going. I'm sure that he'd be more than happy to take the "stay home" option of that threat - but the OP wouldn't allow it.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

He told you that he didn't want to go, and you pretty much decided for him that he would. That's uncool, IMHO. A few thoughts...

Have you talked to SIL about them backing out at this point? It would be nice if you set aside your dream of this big family vacation, and actually let yoru adult brother decide (with his family) what is best for them.

If he feel obligated to go anyway, consider letting him off the hook for some of the ADRs. There's no law that says that a family (of mostly adults, especially) has to do everything in lock-step. When I went down with DH's family (BIL and his family of 5, MIL, etc.), we found it best to do 1-2 sit-down meals together a day. Beyond that, we'd be in the same park, but not do everything together. This way, when we met up for dinner, it was fun to catch up on what each other did, and actually enjoy time together, instead of it feeling forced.

I would also consider letting him off the hook for early morning touring. Not everyone wants to getup at the crack of dawn and race to Space Mountain. That's okay--it's a vacation, after all.

I really feel like you owe your brother an apology, and you should back off on forcing him to go. But, if he does end up going, try giving him some time and space to vacation in his own style. Naturally, this also gives you the chance to enjoy the parts of WDW that are important to you, as well.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

Let it go. I would say nothing at this point. He didn't want to go and clearly it's not an objection to WDW in general, sounds more like the timing. Maybe he wanted just he, his DW and son for their first trip. And now this "spoils" his plans. Now instead of revolving around how his DS is doing, there are others to consider. Just refocus your attitude, be gracious with their needs to make this vacation what they want as well and have a great time.

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzznBelle'smom View Post
He told you that he didn't want to go, and you pretty much decided for him that he would. That's uncool, IMHO. A few thoughts...

Have you talked to SIL about them backing out at this point? It would be nice if you set aside your dream of this big family vacation, and actually let yoru adult brother decide (with his family) what is best for them.

If he feel obligated to go anyway, consider letting him off the hook for some of the ADRs. There's no law that says that a family (of mostly adults, especially) has to do everything in lock-step. When I went down with DH's family (BIL and his family of 5, MIL, etc.), we found it best to do 1-2 sit-down meals together a day. Beyond that, we'd be in the same park, but not do everything together. This way, when we met up for dinner, it was fun to catch up on what each other did, and actually enjoy time together, instead of it feeling forced.

I would also consider letting him off the hook for early morning touring. Not everyone wants to getup at the crack of dawn and race to Space Mountain. That's okay--it's a vacation, after all.

I really feel like you owe your brother an apology, and you should back off on forcing him to go. But, if he does end up going, try giving him some time and space to vacation in his own style. Naturally, this also gives you the chance to enjoy the parts of WDW that are important to you, as well.
I have to agree. The OP should never have guilted the brother into going. The OP wanted this trip for herself for her birthday. Other family members shouldn't have been forced to go. So, now that he is going, give him some space to do it his way.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzznBelle'smom View Post

I agree with you.

Your brother is nicer than I would have been. The only 2 people that get to decide when and where we go on vacation is DH and I. My sisters would be getting an earful if they tried that on me.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy F View Post

Nancy
It sounds like someone already did. Whether it was the OP, his wife or the parents is unclear.

I'm all for extra opportunities to go to WDW, but not everyone is. I feel for him. He's probably all alone on what many call the dark side (turning down an opportunity to go to Disney World).

If he agreed to do it because of the father's health scare, then he should be allowed to back out. The little boy won't know any different. if you do make the trip, I'd be careful about so many ADRs and I think I saw MNSSHP mentioned too. It sounds like a short trip. You don't want him soured on the place. It could dampen this trip and the one he has planned with his family.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
You cannot control how people act. You can only control how you react to them.

Don't allow your brother's sour attitude to steal your magic. If he begins to complain, remind him that he isn't attached to you at the hip. He can go where he wants to, when he wants to and he can join up with the family when he decides to. Something tells me that since you're paying for all of this, he might feel obligated to do what you want. Just remind him that you would rather spend quality time with him. The quantity is not important.
This! Some people are happiest when they're miserable. You can only control how you feel.

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Elleshoodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #13
Jubilee
<3 my kids

I will never again go with other people that are not as gung ho as my family for an extended stay. It's a waste of money and ends up ruining your trip! It's better to omit the person than ruin the whole vibe of the trip, IMHO (from personal experience which I have mistakenly repeated!!)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Why do people try to force others to go to WDW to satisfy some need they have. He said no and you booked it anyway; and you wonder why he is grumpy. Go figure.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
Chabby
Mouseketeer

Can you take me instead? I promise I will be super excited about breakfast at H&V, I love it!
Chabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: