Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 02:17 AM   #1
nzer
Earning My Ears

PTR: First family holiday to the U.S.A-loving the tiny queues!!!!

Hi all,
I first found these boards earlier this year when we decided we were going to travel to California for 3 weeks this coming Christmas. Since then, I've checked in most days and even commented and asked questions on some posts.
However, I've now decided that since I am on school holidays at the moment, and now that our trip is now less than 3 months away, that I should start a PTR. I know how much I enjoy reading everyone else's reports, and how much information I have gathered from them, so I figure that if I can help anyone in any small way, then that'd be great!

So, here goes....

We are a family of 4...myself, DH and 2 DD's (10 & 7) from New Zealand. Before husband, I did the typical OE and lived in both London and San Francisco for a year...and have never quite lost the travelling bug. While in London I made it over to EuroDisney (only a year after it opened) and then Disneyland while I was living in San Francisco. I've never made it back...until now!
We have travelled to Queensland a few times, most recently last year.

For this trip my Mum will be joining us. Like the others, she has never been to the USA.

What started out as a 3 week road trip from San Francisco to LA has increased slightly to a 5 week road trip, also taking in the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Palm Springs and San Diego. We figure that since we are spending so much on airfares, we might as well make the most of it.

Here's the 'almost set in concrete' itinerary...

Day 1- arrive SFO from Auckland
2- San Francisco
3- San Francisco/ Marin County
4- San Francisco- "Alcatraz" booked
5- San Francisco
6- Travel to Cambria, via Monterey and Carmel (We have several long driving days ahead of us, but DH more than happy with that- gets us to places we otherwise wouldn't visit. Kids are also used to long days in the car)
7- Maybe Hearst Castle, then drive to Barstow
8- If no snow, drive to Williams on Route 66.
9- Grand Canyon, then drive to Las Vegas
10-Las Vegas- staying off the strip, but will definitely be taking in the nightlife...remember, we have a built in babysitter with us
11-Las Vegas
12-Las Vegas
13-Las Vegas- husband has mountain bike tour organised, so SHOPPING for the girls!!
14-Las Vegas
15- Las Vegas
16-Drive to Palm Springs- Cable Car
17-Drive to San Diego-visit Coronado, Gaslamp Quarters
18-San diego- we have a Go-San Diego card, so will be busy! Seaworld, Old Town
19-San Diego-Legoland, USS Midway
20-San Diego Zoo and Balboa Park and then drive to Anaheim
Days 21- 32...Anaheim/LA/OC etc

We have purchased 14 Disney passes and plan on spending lots of time at the parks. Being off-season, the hours will obviously be reduced, but we're fine with that. We'll have access over 2 weekends, so will do the night shows then.

We'll head into LA several days to do Universal Studios, Santa Monica, Hollywood etc.

Now that we (I!!!) have organised most of what I can from this end, it's time to sit and wait..and plan, plan, plan! I don't want to have each and every day organised, but definitely need a rough outline of what we want to do so that every thing gets covered. That's where this board comes in so handy...so many great ideas.

Can't wait!!

First visit to Disneyland Easter 1994

First visit to Disneyland Paris 1993

Last edited by nzer; 01-11-2013 at 11:27 AM.
nzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:28 AM   #2
Travel Mum
DIS Veteran

Hi NZer, I've noticed a few posts from you already (hard to miss with your "name") but it's great that you posted a PTR so that we can all see what you are doing. What a great trip you have planned! I too previously lived in the U.S. but it was in L.A., first when I was a child aged 8-10, again when I was aged 12-16 and then back again after uni for six months. So I know how living in the U.S. makes the joys of America rub off on you and it must have been very hard on you to have had to wait this long to get back. I'm VERY happy for you and you must be so excited!
Disneyland - May 1996
Disneyland - March 1995 - for our 1st wedding anniversary celebration trip
Disneyland lots of times 78-80, 82-86 and 92-93 when I lived in L.A.
Travel Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Another travel Bugger.

Pulling up my chair for this ride. It sounds like a fantastic trip!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a fabulous trip you have planned!!!

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
SnowWhite09
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a fantastic trip - cant wait to hear all about it!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

sounds like a great trip - can't wait to hear more
Old 10-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
marvel
DIS Veteran

good plan. similiar to ours for april next year. Can you still get the 14 day disney passes??
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
Franrose
DIS Veteran

Can I come???

Franrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
Caroline NZ
DIS Veteran

Your trip sounds awesome. We are visiting some of the same places as you on our road trip next year.
Sep/Oct 2013 - 5 weeks California & surrounds road trip, ending of course in Disneyland
Jan 2015 - First trip to WDW planned!
Caroline NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Beee
Mouseketeer

you've got a great trip planned! I would have loved to do San Fransisco & Las Vegas but just couldn't swing it time wise for this trip. I am already vaguely planning our next trip lol which will be san fran, DC, nyc, vegas and fly out of LA. That'll be another couple of years away I think! So I will take in all your tips and must sees from your trip

Beee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
nzer
Earning My Ears

Just checking in to say hi

Two very excited girls woke up in our house on November 1st and ran around the house shouting "We're going to America next month! We're going to America next month!" What are they going to be like the day we leave?

Almost had enough of mice at the moment (thankfully, not the 'big' one!) I'm a teacher and 4 of the classrooms in our block have had an infestation of them this week. LOTS of cleaning and throwing out has been going on. Now I definitely have to buy mouse-ears for my colleagues, as we have been dubbed the 'Mouseketeers" by the rest of the staff. Roll on the holidays!

Old 11-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #12
Minniemum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer
Just checking in to say hi

Two very excited girls woke up in our house on November 1st and ran around the house shouting "We're going to America next month! We're going to America next month!" What are they going to be like the day we leave?

Almost had enough of mice at the moment (thankfully, not the 'big' one!) I'm a teacher and 4 of the classrooms in our block have had an infestation of them this week. LOTS of cleaning and throwing out has been going on. Now I definitely have to buy mouse-ears for my colleagues, as we have been dubbed the 'Mouseketeers" by the rest of the staff. Roll on the holidays!
Great to hear your DD's are getting excited!

I don't do mice except Mickey, Minnie, Steamboat Willy, Remy etc

DLR - 1/92 O/S, 3/99 O/S, 6/99 O/S, 3/05 DLH, 9/08 DLH, 9/09 DLH
DLP - 9/98
WDW - 4/98 O/S, 10/10 POP, 9/11 POFQ, 9/12 POFQ, 9/13 POFQ

Minniemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
DizOz
DIS Veteran

nzer sounds like a great trip. Your DH bike trip in Vegas sounds great. I did something similar with friends when I was last in Vegas. They had Harley's so we went on a ride through the desert and up into the mountains. The view were breath taking at some of the look outs. We also had a great time at a small biker bar (Really more of a tin shack).

Funny how all the tough bikers were lawyers and accountants. The food was great there sitting in front of an open fire (Pretty cool when we went).

Also had the opportunity to shop at the large mall just outside town. First real experience at outlet shopping in the US.

Have a great time and take plenty of photo's. Can't wait for the TR when you get back.

DizOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
nzer
Earning My Ears

Well, this time tomorrow we will be in Auckland with only 3 1/2 hrs until we board our flight to San Francisco!! Only one more sleep!! As I'm frantically cleaning the house, I keep saying to myself "No more housework for 5 weeks! No more housework for 5 weeks!" It certainly is helping.

Almost got the bags packed...a few more things to iron and then that's done too.

Next job is to find the cats to take them to the cattery....hmmm, that might be fun.

Weather is looking ok for arrival...just hoping the snow isn't too bad at the Grand Canyon this time next week so we can make it through for our visit. Weird sitting in 30 degree temps this week, knowing that very soon we'll be back in our winter woolies. All good though

Right, might send the girls to wash their hair and have a good scrub...then I can do my last load of washing.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Yay!! Not long to go now!!! So happy for you

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: