Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

SUPER Cheap Eats - on & off property

I know cheap eats & Disneyland do not really go together. But I am taking a super budget trip at the end of October and need suggestions for super cheat eats.

So tell me what your cheap eats are. Budget is less than $20/meal for 2 adults & 1 10yo.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
SnowWhite09
DIS Veteran

This is probably obvious, but McDonalds on South Harbor.
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
KalamityJane
DIS Veteran

Subway would be cheap using the anaheim county coupons, I think it is buy 1 get 1 6in? Also Mimis with coupons and maybe Dennys?
KalamityJane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
KalamityJane
DIS Veteran

Pacific Wharf in DCA has soup in a bread bowl for 10 bucks? You could split 2 of them.
KalamityJane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Eddygirl
Mouseketeer

I was going to say the bread bowl soups as well.
Eddygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
scanmom
DIS Veteran

Oooo....

We always stop in at Bengal Barbeque in Adventureland and get the chicken skewers. They are pretty inexpensive, I think about $4.00??? I always plan on using it as a snack, but it ends up being enough to fill me up. I think you could use this as a meal. They are YUMMY!!!! There are other kinds of skewers, but I love the chicken ones so much, I never have tried the others!

can't wait to get back to the "real" world!
scanmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
BlueBayou
Stop trolling, and reel 'er in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanmom View Post
We always stop in at Bengal Barbeque in Adventureland and get the chicken skewers. They are pretty inexpensive, I think about $4.00??? I always plan on using it as a snack, but it ends up being enough to fill me up. I think you could use this as a meal. They are YUMMY!!!! There are other kinds of skewers, but I love the chicken ones so much, I never have tried the others!
We get several of these and split them between us (two adults, 2 school aged kids). I would make sure you bring a refillable water bottle. Drinks can suck the life out of your budget.

Our Oct 2009 Dream trip with bumps in the road

Has WDW changed since 1976? - POFQ Oct '09 Pre-Trippie

WDW 2 times in '70's & Oct '09, Disneyland '79, '99, '00, April '01, '02, Dec. '04, June '05, Dec '05, Oct. '06, Oct. '07, Oct. '08, May '10, Oct 11, Oct 12, Oct 13
BlueBayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
sweethannah
Rebel Spy, 3 times in a row!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBayou View Post
We get several of these and split them between us (two adults, 2 school aged kids). I would make sure you bring a refillable water bottle. Drinks can suck the life out of your budget.

I can't reiterate this enough! We were down recently and it was over a 100degrees and luckily we brought plenty of gatorade and bottled water from Vons ( delivered ) so very rarely bought water or drinks in the Park ... saved the money for frozen treats and such.

We also LOVE Bengal BBQ and buy the skewers, a cheese filled pretzel and a pickle to share. Love those pickles~

May 14 - May 21 2014
Staying at the Howard Johnson
sweethannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

Will you have a car? If so, one of our favorite budget meals is Vietnamese sandwiches (bahn mi) at OC Rotisserie Chicken on Ball at State College (behind the car wash). 2 large (8" or 9") baguette sandwiches to go for under $10. And the sandwiches are fresh, tasty, and filling. We've brought them into the parks many times without any problems. OC Rotisserie Chicken also has noodle dishes, curry, and yummy spring rolls. The staff is super friendly.

Also, many of the entrees at Rancho del Zocalo are large enough to share. Our normal bill there for 1 entree (for 2 adults) and a dessert or soup is usually around $15 or less. Same with entrees at the Plaza Inn. Or entrees at Paradise Grill. Drinking water will cut down on your expenses quite a bit. And, most of all, when we eat on property,we try to make sure that we don't wait until we are starving to go eat. Eating before we get really hungry helps us eat less and get full more quickly.
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
Eddygirl
Mouseketeer

Sorry... Stupid phone! We had the bead bowl soups at the river side counter restaurant across from the HM. They are huge! They also had stuffed baked potatoes which were good and massive! I think they were about $7. I had a Jalapeño cheese pretzel from Bengal BBQ one day for lunch for myself. It was filling!!!

I saw a lot of people that had brought in a subway sub with them.
Eddygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
JadeDarkstar
Dis Veteran Pirate dragon mom

golden horseshoe or stage door cafe was 20bucks for three meals dont get drinks just get ice and refill your fav drink (for us its pepsi and the park dont sale it)
JadeDarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeDarkstar View Post
golden horseshoe or stage door cafe was 20bucks for three meals dont get drinks just get ice and refill your fav drink (for us its pepsi and the park dont sale it)
What did you get at Stagedoor? And yes we do not plan on buying drinks. Ice water is free and better for you so why spend $3 of sugar/caffine filled water.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
smiles33
DIS Veteran

What about the giant corn dogs at Corn Dog Castle? I just googled and it looks like a menu (not sure if current!) has the most expensive (and best one!) the hot link corndog at $6.49 each. They were huge so I think one each should fill up most people.

I also second the earlier rec for OC Rotisserie. Banh mi are cheap, filling and, IMHO, better than Subway (provided you like pickled daikon, cilantro, and carrots, which not every American does so you can always ask them to leave those toppings off).
smiles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
What about the giant corn dogs at Corn Dog Castle? I just googled and it looks like a menu (not sure if current!) has the most expensive (and best one!) the hot link corndog at $6.49 each. They were huge so I think one each should fill up most people.
CornDog are the only thing on my traveling partners list. She had them last time she was there (in 1998) and talks about them all the time.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
mshrm
Mouseketeer

We like to get El Pollo Loco chicken, beans, rice and tortillas for a meal. Then I buy a package of the large burrito tortillas at grocery store and fill the left overs into them for burritos the following day. We don't live in an area with one of these chains so its always a treat to us.
mshrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: