Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
LizzyS
DIS Veteran

Is there a ride you're scared of/refuse to go on?

I haven't been to California Adventure yet, but will in February. Tower of Terror seems terrifying, so I'll be skipping that one!

I will probably try this next time, but am nervous about it- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. I don't know why, but it intimidates me! Does it really jostle you around bad? Funny story, but when we went last year there was this frat boy lookin' dude riding it when we were walking behind it and he looked straight over in our direction and let out the girliest, most hilarious scream ever and we will always remember that and still talk about it!

I have a rule that if it goes upside down, this gal doesn't get on it! Is the roller coaster in DCA California Screamin' that goes upside down? Won't be going on that one!

I was curious what rides are no-nos for other people and for what reason!

I love DL because most of the rides are fairly tame by today's standards, but enormously fun.

2nd trip to Disneyland & California Adventure: February 23rd & 25th-26th, 2013

3rd trip to DLR (on site stay @PPH): February 26th - March 2nd, 2014

4th trip to Disneyland only: December 13th, 2014
LizzyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
CheshireGato
DIS Veteran

Tea Cups!! I'm afraid I would get sick!
1995 Spring 2001 Summer 2003 (WDW) June 2006 Oct 2009 May 2011 June 2012 November 2012 (solo) October 2014
CheshireGato is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
LizzyS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireGato View Post
That is a VERY legitimate fear!

I doubt I'll ever ride them.

2nd trip to Disneyland & California Adventure: February 23rd & 25th-26th, 2013

3rd trip to DLR (on site stay @PPH): February 26th - March 2nd, 2014

4th trip to Disneyland only: December 13th, 2014
LizzyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireGato View Post
Nice one
I'm not afraid of them .... or afraid of getting sick ... I know they will make me dizzy and I'll feel horrible for the rest of the day so I avoid them. The only ride at any park (Non-Disney)that truely makes me nervous is the rollercoaster at the top of the Stratosphere Hotel in Las Vegas
Old 10-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
T0rrent
Mouseketeer

The wife and I will NEVER do Mickey's swinging cages of Death. I can't even bring myself to do the non swinging cages of death. I have a horrible fear of heights, so unless i'm fully enclosed like in ToT, I can't do any massive drop ride like that. Love ToT but in the bay area, we have a drop zone ride where you sit with your legs dangling. You could promise me powerball winning #'s and I wouldn't get on that thing.

As for the wife she did ToT with me once as payback for doing Soaring which made me woozy the first time I was on it. I all but had to carry her off of that ride as she hates elevators. So I doubt i'll ever get her on ToT again. Other then those and Silly Symphony Swings, we will do everything else at DCA.

As for Disneyland, we will do everything, but she refuses to do the canoes. I even tried pointing her to the thread that said the water is not very deep and she still won't do it
T0rrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
tylerandalexsmom
Seriously addicted to Disney

Ha! Glad to see so many other people terrified of ferris wheels (aka Mickey's Wheel of Terror). That is about the only thing I won't do. Tea cups sometimes make me a bit woozy and we have to slow down (I used to be all about the spinny rides, but not so much in recent years).

I do have a question about Matterhorn -- this is our first trip to DLR (been to WDW often), and will be just me and DS14 and DD7 for this trip. I really want to ride the Matterhorn, just because it's DLR. DD rode everything except Rockin' Roller Coaster at WDW last year at age 6, including ToT, SM, and EE (Everest). She really got scared on those three, but she was a trouper and did them all! (Her daddy talked her in to them, and she kept trying!) We went back a few months later and she was happier not riding those. So, my question is how does Matterhorn compare? She loves BTMRR (at least at WDW -- is it the same at DLR?) and was fine on Splash Mountain. She freaked out on Space Mountain, and I think it was mostly the dark, and being in a seat by herself since they are only one-across like Matterhorn is now. I really want to ride it, but don't want to scar her for life!!!

Also, what is it that is so bad about Goofy's sky school? Was planning on doing it - I thought it would be like the Goofy ride at WDW (although, admittedly, we haven't been on it since the "new" fantasyland opened the new version of it) and she was fine with it, but don't want to assume this is similar and scare her to death!

Thanks! Just don't want to assure her it will be fine, and then have us all terrified!
MK Dec 1972 (me) WDW/All Star Movies May 2003 WDW/All Star Movies Apr 2007 WDW/NSSHP/Caribbean Beach Resort (Pirate room!) Sept 2009 Polynesian/Dream Cruise/WDW/CBR Pirate room Oct 2011 WDW Christmas 2011

tylerandalexsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
sh00tfire
Mouseketeer

There aren't any rides that I will not go on, however, there are several that I will only go on once per trip.

Tea Cups. Too much spinning, although, I love love the music of the tea cups!
Goofy's Sky School. I feel like I am going to fall right off the track!
Silly Symphony Swings. Also too much spinning.

Tower of Terror and California Screamin' I can only handle a few times also.

Disneyland 1992, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, APs(Jan, May, Oct, Dec 2012)
Disneyworld 1993, 2007
sh00tfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
cagirl4life
Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerandalexsmom View Post
Ha! Glad to see so many other people terrified of ferris wheels (aka Mickey's Wheel of Terror). That is about the only thing I won't do. Tea cups sometimes make me a bit woozy and we have to slow down (I used to be all about the spinny rides, but not so much in recent years).

I do have a question about Matterhorn -- this is our first trip to DLR (been to WDW often), and will be just me and DS14 and DD7 for this trip. I really want to ride the Matterhorn, just because it's DLR. DD rode everything except Rockin' Roller Coaster at WDW last year at age 6, including ToT, SM, and EE (Everest). She really got scared on those three, but she was a trouper and did them all! (Her daddy talked her in to them, and she kept trying!) We went back a few months later and she was happier not riding those. So, my question is how does Matterhorn compare? She loves BTMRR (at least at WDW -- is it the same at DLR?) and was fine on Splash Mountain. She freaked out on Space Mountain, and I think it was mostly the dark, and being in a seat by herself since they are only one-across like Matterhorn is now. I really want to ride it, but don't want to scar her for life!!!

Also, what is it that is so bad about Goofy's sky school? Was planning on doing it - I thought it would be like the Goofy ride at WDW (although, admittedly, we haven't been on it since the "new" fantasyland opened the new version of it) and she was fine with it, but don't want to assume this is similar and scare her to death!

Thanks! Just don't want to assure her it will be fine, and then have us all terrified!
BTMRR are practically the same at DLR and WDW so you should be good there. Matterhorn is like BTMRR in roughness but it has the solo seats like Space at WDW. I haven't been on since the refurb though so I don't know how rough it is anymore, but riding by myself my bottom usually hurt afterwards. Space at DLR has side by side seats so you might be better off on this one.

Goofy Sky School is kinda similar to Primeval Whirl at AK and nothing like Goofy's at MK. It has really sharp turns which is the part I don't like because it whips you around and kinda hurts. I haven't been on that since the refurb either but I hated Mulholland so there is no way to get me on Goofy's since it is the same track. You can see the whole ride so you can decide if she might like it from watching.

DL: to many times to count, last trip August 2013!
WDW: July 1998 (Off Site); February 2006 (CBR); April 2006 (AS Sports); February 2007 (ASM); February 2008 (ASM); April 2008 (CBR); June 2008 (SSR); January 2010 (AS Sports)
cagirl4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
MissMichigan
A most peculiar mademoiselle

None that i'm afraid of, but I don't bother riding Star Tours or Space Mountain anymore.

I don't usually get motion sickness, but these two kill me for some reason. Doesn't matter what time of day I ride them, how much i've eaten, or how i'm feeling before I get on. I get dizzy, sweaty, faint and nauseous every single time. Not worth it.

I wasn't overly fond of Mickey's Fun Wheel, but I would ride it again. I think it didn't help that while I was in line, right before we got on, the little girl standing in front of me puked EVERYWHERE, so I was already feeling queasy.

The others don't bother me at all. Screaming, BTMRR, Teacups, and ToT are my favorites. I'll ride them over and over.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
Mary09
Mouseketeer

The only rides I refuse to go on are ones with ridiculous lines. I have to admit I didn't like the Nemo ride much, being a little claustrophobic. And the Matterhorn bangs you up too much for my tastes.

BTMRR is terrific! My daughter fell in love with it around age 5.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
Moodyzblu
DIS Veteran

I will NOT go on Tower of Terror !!

Come check out ..
Jayden's Wish pre-trip report !
It Smells Like Elephant and Forbidden Journey's Wish Trip Report ... in progress
The Moodys Do Disneyland!
Youtube channel ... http://www.youtube.com/user/Moodyzblu
Moodyzblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
goodeats
DIS Veteran

I seem to have developed claustrophobia in my "old" age so I refuse to ride California Screamin or the Sun Wheel. The thought of being trapped with the shoulder harness around my neck or in the cages is just too much to bear! I also avoid Star Tours due to motion sickness. For both of these reasons I avoid Mission Space at WDW like the plague!

ETA: Ditto the subs! I would have a major panic attack in there!

Next trip - Beach Club Oct 2015!
goodeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

I don't ride Star Tours - Nausea. And I don't ride Indy, I always end up with a headache after that lasts for 2 days.

None for fear. Love ToT. Screamin' is good once, but I usually feel queasy after, so I let the kids ride over and over..
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

I don't ride California Screaming because I don't go upside down! lol!

I've done Tower of Terror and hated the dropping sensation so thats a no go for me now too. I wish I could because I love the themeing of the ride but that drop just wasn't fun for me.

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
kindakrazy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #15
LisainCalifornia
DIS Veteran

I am such a big chicken. I won't go on many rides. Some of them I do go on, but only because I don't want my youngest to miss out (she loves Splash Mountain and Matterhorn, so when she is with us I always go on them).

So here is my list:
Splash Mountain -will go on if my kids want to, but hate every minute of that drop. I LOVE the themeing of the ride--so darling with the Songs of the South characters. I love everything about the little creatures and scenary. I feel such anxiety on this ride, dreading that darn drop, though. In the pictures I look like I am being tortured to death.

Matterhorn -hate the drops and getting banged around but will go on it if I must.

Big Thunder Mountain-I just can't work up the bravery to go on it. I was there years ago when the death on it happened. It was fairly new then, and I remember assuring my son about how safe it was, and he rode it and said it felt like you could just fall out because there isn't enough safety restraints, and right after that is when the young man fell out of it. If it had a much better safety restraint bar or seatbelt, I would probably try it.

Space Mountain-I wish I could try it. I am afraid of getting motion sickness from it (from not being able to see where I am going), as well as the roller coaster aspect. But it is such an iconic ride, and I know I *should* go on it. Maybe next trip I will.

California Screamin-actually, it doesn't look so scary to me because it has great restraints (you see the theme here)--but I just haven't done it yet. I have one daughter who hates roller coasters, so I always stay with her when the others do this ride.

Tower of Terror-love the themeing, but afraid of the drops. I hate the feeling of dropping--whether in mid air or in water (like on Splash).

Rides that I conquered my fear of and now love:
Soarin' over California-this is now my favorite all time ride. My husband told me that I wouldn't like it because he knows I have a fear of heights, so I avoided it for years. I finally worked up the courage to go on it, and it was the most relaxing, pleasant ride. It is like a spa experience! There is nothing scary about it to me. Granted, it took me a year of riding it to stop using the middle strap designed for little kids on the seatbelt, but now I don't even hold on when I ride it, and the little middle strap is no longer my friend.

Pirates-Don't laugh. I use to be scared beyond all reason over the drops. I know, they are not that big. I hated them! When this ride became my daughter's favorite ride, we rode it like 10 times in one night when there was no line, and I cured myself of my fear of it. By the last few times we were all putting our hands in the air--I wasn't even holding on to the safety bar! This is huge for me.

Silly Symphony Swings- I thought I would be afraid of the height aspect, but this ride is refreshing and fun and not scary at all--much like Soarin'. I only wish it lasted longer. It is great to ride at night when all the lights are on around the park.

This summer I finally worked up the courage to ride Indiana Jones. It wasn't scary at all to me, but I didn't really like it that much. It just isn't my cup of tea.

I use to not go on Star Tours due to motion sickness, but since the re-did the ride, I am pretty much fine on it. I love what they did to the ride, including the line.

I am founding member of the neurotic Disneyland lovers club.
LisainCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: