Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
DavidandLeahZ
DIS Veteran

Samsonite Hardside luggage?

Hi everyone,

It's about time we invest in some new luggage, but wanted some opinions from those who traveled a lot:
Are the Samsonite Hardside pieces worth twice the price of their softside siblings?

Anyone have any personal experience with them?

- Dave

DavidandLeahZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer

Well I just bought some for our upcoming Knights and Lights trip with the Dis so when I get back I'll let you know how they do!

One thing I can say though is they are very light unpacked but a little strange to carry when fully loaded but then the hard shell luggage is new for me, my husband swears they are better but I will find out first hand on our trip.

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
CSR September 2007 13 years is much too long trip report!
DIS Unplugged Exclusive Knights and Lights ABD October 2012
Swan August 2013 & DIS Cruise 1.0 on RCCL Oasis
LionKingRules84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I don't have any experience with that specific luggage, but overall I prefer the soft sided over the hard sided. I just find that its easier to maneuver the soft-sided when loading them into a car trunk.

We also just buy the very cheap luggage from Walmart. We travel a lot and found over time that no matter how much you spend on luggage, the airlines will destroy it in 10 trips or less.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
mikelan6
World Traveler, Usually Optimistic

I never liked the hard luggage - especially now that airlines are allowing less weight per bag.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

We have 2 samsonite hard cases.......haven't used them in years as the baggage allowances are too low these days without that weight added!!

We just use cheap holdalls, then it doesn't matter when the airlines wreck them (and they do....trust me, I know!!)
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer

Believe it or not the Hard shell bags we have are Lighter than the fabric/vinyl suitcases we had or else we wouldn't have bought them. Not sure why they are said to be heavier. The fabric bags are smaller in size too and still heavier than the hard shell ones.

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
CSR September 2007 13 years is much too long trip report!
DIS Unplugged Exclusive Knights and Lights ABD October 2012
Swan August 2013 & DIS Cruise 1.0 on RCCL Oasis
LionKingRules84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Paul in CT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
I don't have any experience with that specific luggage, but overall I prefer the soft sided over the hard sided. I just find that its easier to maneuver the soft-sided when loading them into a car trunk.

We also just buy the very cheap luggage from Walmart. We travel a lot and found over time that no matter how much you spend on luggage, the airlines will destroy it in 10 trips or less.
Absolutely right!! I have had two hard sided luggage ruined by the airlines. They haved managed to dent them enough so that they don't stay closed. The last time I used the newer one, it arrived in our room from MME totally taped up. Both Disney and the airline denied responsibility. They both blamed the other. From now on it's soft side only for us.

We also find the soft side luggage lighter than the Samsonite of the same capacity. I hope that the OP is luckier with their new luggage.

Paul in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I don't have experience with that particular brand, but have found that the hardside luggage has less space on the inside and is just too heavy to maneuver. Combine that with how much weight it adds to the scale at the airport and it just didn't make sense for me to use. I'm glad I only have one hardside piece and recently bought a new set of softside luggage at Home Goods for a great price.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: