Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Have you read the book: Wheat belly : lose the wheat, lose the weight...?

I'm a couple of chapters into this book. It's interesting. I have lost some pounds but I can't seem to lose any from around my waist. That's why the title got my attention. That coupled with the tidbits I have heard against the use of wheat. Seems kind of strange, but I keep seeing articles pop up about it.

I'm not very far into the book. It is written by a cardiologist and he maintains that eliminating wheat has helped his patients recover from a host of illnesses. Pretty amazing premise with wheat and whole grains heavily advertised for good health.

I will say the book raises points to consider. I am keeping an open mind while reading it. The thing is wheat and whole grains are in just about everything, so it would be a daunting task to cut them out.

If you read the book, what do you think about it? Did you cut out wheat and did it help you with "wheat belly" and/or medical issues?

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

I haven't read that book, but I have experience with cutting out or back on refined carbs and losing weight and lowering cholesterol. It works really well, and yes, when you lose weight, some illnesses will almost go into remission. My dad was diabetic and lost weight and now he is off meds completely.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Not rolling my eyes at you but at the concept that eliminating wheat will get you thin and healthy. Whole grains are good for you, wheat included, refined not so much. If you want to eliminate something from your diet to make you thinner and healthier eliminate most or all animal products. Eat tons of produce. That's it, there is the "secret".

I eat no meat and very little dairy and lots of produce. Guess what, I am thin and healthy. I am not on a diet, this is just my lifestyle. Try it and trust me it will work better than eliminating wheat.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by torinsmom View Post
I haven't read that book, but I have experience with cutting out or back on refined carbs and losing weight and lowering cholesterol. It works really well, and yes, when you lose weight, some illnesses will almost go into remission. My dad was diabetic and lost weight and now he is off meds completely.
I lost weight (50 pounds) by reducing carbs and eliminating refined carbs. I ate only whole grains, minimally.

We are omnivores. Everything in moderation while avoiding processed foods.
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip… 7/13-7/18 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
OceanAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torinsmom View Post
From what I read so far, it isn't just losing weight that helped people recover from illnesses but eliminating genetically modified wheat. The author goes into depth (maybe too much, my eyes started to gloss over) about the over processing of wheat and how it effects the body in many ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
Not rolling my eyes at you but at the concept that eliminating wheat will get you thin and healthy. Whole grains are good for you, wheat included, refined not so much. If you want to eliminate something from your diet to make you thinner and healthier eliminate most or all animal products. Eat tons of produce. That's it, there is the "secret".

I eat no meat and very little dairy and lots of produce. Guess what, I am thin and healthy. I am not on a diet, this is just my lifestyle. Try it and trust me it will work better than eliminating wheat.
I read your post again. I have reduced meat intake. Not really looking for a "secret". I have modified my diet. And I have been exercising pretty consistently. It is a lifestyle change. Not looking for a magic bullet. It's a no brainer about adding more fruits and veggies,limiting sugars and processed food.

It's an interesting book. I think I'm doing a lot of the "right" things but there is a reason why the stubborn belly roll is still there. I don't know what it is, I'm just keeping an open mind about it.

I don't think I could eliminate whole grains, but I do think I could cut down some more on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Tea Party View Post
I lost weight (50 pounds) by reducing carbs and eliminating refined carbs. I ate only whole grains, minimally.

We are omnivores. Everything in moderation while avoiding processed foods.
Good for you!

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

Old 09-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
From what I read so far, it isn't just losing weight that helped people recover from illnesses but eliminating genetically modified wheat. The author goes into depth (maybe too much, my eyes started to gloss over) about the over processing of wheat and how it effects the body in many ways.

I read your post again. I have reduced meat intake. Not really looking for a "secret". I have modified my diet. And I have been exercising pretty consistently. It is a lifestyle change. Not looking for a magic bullet. It's a no brainer about adding more fruits and veggies,limiting sugars and processed food.

It's an interesting book. I think I'm doing a lot of the "right" things but there is a reason why the stubborn belly roll is still there. I don't know what it is, I'm just keeping an open mind about it.

I don't think I could eliminate whole grains, but I do think I could cut down some more on them.

Good for you!
Because that's where you happen to have stored fat?

I mean.. there really needn't be some grand explanation/secret. People store fat in different places - some people have bigger thighs, others arms, others have a gut, etc.

There is no such thing as spot reducing (unless you're using liposuction to do it, heh), and subdermal fat is fat. Your fat cells are your fat cells, you keep 'em for life unless you have them removed. You can shrink them through weight loss but same as some people lose everything but that stubborn spare tire so do others have fat cheeks or hips or what have you.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
OceanAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post

I mean.. there really needn't be some grand explanation/secret. People store fat in different places - some people have bigger thighs, others arms, others have a gut, etc.

There is no such thing as spot reducing (unless you're using liposuction to do it, heh), and subdermal fat is fat. Your fat cells are your fat cells, you keep 'em for life unless you have them removed. You can shrink them through weight loss but same as some people lose everything but that stubborn spare tire so do others have fat cheeks or hips or what have you.
Could be as simple as that I suppose. Maybe it's the last place the weight will drop off of. Who knows?

Old 09-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post

Not necessarily true. My Cardiologists, and family practitioner and well as my GYN, also DH cardiologist have said the same thing. Once you reach a certain age you store fat differently. This poster never said anything about spot reducing, that isn't what she is talking about. People who store fat around the middle are typically insulin resistant and carbs are stored as fat more around the middle. They have been saying for years that fat stored around the middle is completely different in regards to your health. Doctors these days are saying to get rid of any processed carb and limit your total carbs even the ones that are "good carbs" if you fall into this category.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
I think I'm doing a lot of the "right" things but there is a reason why the stubborn belly roll is still there. I don't know what it is, I'm just keeping an open mind about it.
Well for what it's worth I also have a "stubborn belly roll". I am 5'5' and weigh about 108 lbs so I am definatly not overweight at all. My "belly roll" comes from the fact that I have been pregnant 3 times. I didn't gain alot of weight while pregnant (20-25lbs) but having 3 babies over 8 lbs stretched my stomach to the max. It's stretched out skin and it will never go away without a "tummy-tuck" and I am not willing to do that so my roll will stay and I am fine with that. I do not believe it is caused by eating wheat.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
trip
family trip planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
Well for what it's worth I also have a "stubborn belly roll". I am 5'5' and weigh about 108 lbs so I am definatly not overweight at all. My "belly roll" comes from the fact that I have been pregnant 3 times. I didn't gain alot of weight while pregnant (20-25lbs) but having 3 babies over 8 lbs stretched my stomach to the max. It's stretched out skin and it will never go away without a "tummy-tuck" and I am not willing to do that so my roll will stay and I am fine with that. I do not believe it is caused by eating wheat.
My MIL used to call it a "Mothers Apron".
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

I don't eat refined grains or sugar and haven't in a few years. It really isn't that hard if you're willing to experiment and try new things. That being said, I carry weight in my middle and really have to work my core hard several days a week, along with cardio & weight training to keep it in check.

BTW, I didn't give these up to lose weight. It's was more because of an addiction to cake and ice cream.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

FWIW I usually don't agree with fox but I thought this article had some good points:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...t-white-trash/ (I hope that linked properly)

I find it a little extreme that people demonise carbs so harshly, ESP. Refined carbs, yet for most of human history and indeed the present in many areas they make up a massive proportion of the diet for many people. Often it is white rice and other refined products thanks to changes in production methods. Yet, these countries are not as obese, and aren't swimming in allergies or stomach issues as far as I'm aware... I think portion size and exercise, among other factors, is far more important tbh.

Not to mention, it varies from person to person. Try it out, maybe it works for you. Personally, I ate, and still do eat, a lot of refined carbs, including white rice, white bread and various other products, in large quantities on occasion. Stomach is solid as a rock, cholesterol well within norms (and on the low side even for a person of my age) and blood sugar stable. I agree you need to change your diet if you feel ill, chop and change till you work out what's best for you. But to demonise certain foods is misleading. YMMV, I'm not calling anyone out or anything, I believe in the freedom to choose how to eat and live your life.

I guess I'll need to see more proof of this before I am convinced.
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #13
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
FWIW I usually don't agree with fox but I thought this article had some good points:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...t-white-trash/ (I hope that linked properly)

I find it a little extreme that people demonise carbs so harshly, ESP. Refined carbs, yet for most of human history and indeed the present in many areas they make up a massive proportion of the diet for many people. Often it is white rice and other refined products thanks to changes in production methods. Yet, these countries are not as obese, and aren't swimming in allergies or stomach issues as far as I'm aware... I think portion size and exercise, among other factors, is far more important tbh.

Not to mention, it varies from person to person. Try it out, maybe it works for you. Personally, I ate, and still do eat, a lot of refined carbs, including white rice, white bread and various other products, in large quantities on occasion. Stomach is solid as a rock, cholesterol well within norms (and on the low side even for a person of my age) and blood sugar stable. I agree you need to change your diet if you feel ill, chop and change till you work out what's best for you. But to demonise certain foods is misleading. YMMV, I'm not calling anyone out or anything, I believe in the freedom to choose how to eat and live your life.

I guess I'll need to see more proof of this before I am convinced.
Actually in the history of man, refined carbs have not always been so popular. They hunted and grew vegtables and fruit. Ok so China had rice but they ate a ton of fish. They are now adopting our diet as are most other countries and becoming fat. Neve has man gorged himself on bread, crackers, snacks, fruit that is normally out os season, (they ate the small in season window of fruits. WE started getting fat after all the "low fat and carb" is ok diet.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #14
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

I like how people always want to claim that fat makes us fat. As someone who grew up in the south eating fried everything, people were a lot slimmer than they are now overall. The difference, in my opinion, is that our food was straight from the garden(pesticide being pick it before the bugs get it) and butcher, without all the preservatives and processing. Bread was fresh baked or one of a few brands with a lot less preservatives than today's. Cakes and pies, too, were made from scratch and not from the processed mixing.

I think getting rid of processed foods, including refined carbs, naturally gets rid of the conditions that cause us to gain weight. Unfortunately, many of us, including myself acquire such a taste and addiction to these foods that this is very hard.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #15
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Actually in the history of man, refined carbs have not always been so popular. They hunted and grew vegtables and fruit. Ok so China had rice but they ate a ton of fish. They are now adopting our diet as are most other countries and becoming fat. Neve has man gorged himself on bread, crackers, snacks, fruit that is normally out os season, (they ate the small in season window of fruits. WE started getting fat after all the "low fat and carb" is ok diet.
I... what?

What eras are you talking about? It sounds like you're like mixing hominid hunters, agrarians and civilized China.

Bread (not to mention other grain products) is one of the earliest staples - people have been making bread FAR longer than China has had an organized civilization.

You also say 'small in season [sic] window of fruits' as if fruits don't grow year round. If you mean people used to eat fruits in season, sure - so they had various fruits year round, though I'm still not at all clear on when you're talking about.

Low carb diets have been around for more than 100 years, and fall in and out of favour. Every 30 years or so people think they're the thing, then they fall out of favour again 'til next time - same as bell bottoms.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: