Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
dkfogt
Mouseketeer

Question SONY RX100 - can a newbie learn it in 6 days?

I am an amateur user. I have always had a point n shoot but have been shopping for something better for a long long long time. I take LOTS of pictures and while I don't aspire to be a professional photographer, I do love to make photo books with what I am able to capture...

So, the SONY RX100 comes along and I have been looking at it.... but haven't bought it yet. We leave for WDW in 6 days and we will be there for 11 days total - including the Halloween Party (dark!). You know I am going to make a big photo book from this trip, no doubt!

My question here is this - is 6 days enough for me to learn how to use the camera well enough to make it worth buying now vs Christmas time? Do I need (will I want) special software or memory cards?

The only camera I use right now is a Canon Powershot digital elph. I am unimpressed.
dkfogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
traylorc
DIS Veteran

That's challenging question....whether or not you can learn it in six days depends on your experience with point and shoot camera. If you had used a older Sony Cybershot, then moving up the to RX100 would obviously be easier.

I bought my wife a RX100 when it was first available...and there was no manual. I had to find a link online to download the manual and it was HUGE. I think it would be daunting for someone who has never used Sony before to read through that manual in a few days time. Hopefully Sony has started including a "quick start" manual so folks can jump up to speed quickly.

This camera has numerous functions....which is a benefit and a detriment. My wife shot with a Cybershot before, so she was able to pick up the RX100 and roll. But even she admits she does not have a handle on all of the available functionality the camera possesses. Don't get me wrong, it's a good camera. But understand up front you may not be able to get totally up to speed in 5-6 days, but perhaps you can learn enough to be dangerous and a few good shots.
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

It has full auto, so there's nothing to learn in that respect. If you want point and shoot quality images in a wide variety of lighting situations then you're good to go out of the box.

But to get great images every time you need to learn about shutter speed, aperture, ISO and how they work together to make the exposure. And how each affects the image individually. Once you know that then you know what to do with all those modes it has. And that sounds complicated, but that part really isn't, photo I students learn it in an hour long lecture so you should be able to wrap your brain around it in 6 days. The difficult part is gaining the experience to put that to work for you every time and adding good composition in there. That part won't happen in 6 days.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
hakepb
DIS Veteran

I think you should be able to. Then again i really only learn with high usage, like at Disney .
If you make sure it's focusing on the subject (focus is more demanding with a larger sensor) Auto seems to be good (Auto+ can combine multiple shots which may not be good for motion)
After focus, I would concentrate on Aperature priority mode for the best low light shots.
For memory, SDHC class 10 (or better UHC). I filled up most of a 32GB card with my HX30 with a combination of photos and video, and the RX takes larger 20 mp files. I would recommend at least 2 16gb or even 32gb cards.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
dkfogt
Mouseketeer

This is promising. I did have the Sony cyber shot before the Canon I have now. I loved the Sony - was back in 2003? Bigger than a standard point and shoot. Took amazing pictures.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfogt View Post
This is promising. I did have the Sony cyber shot before the Canon I have now. I loved the Sony - was back in 2003? Bigger than a standard point and shoot. Took amazing pictures.
Oooooh, was that one of the F- series I've heard about?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/
Old 09-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
havoc315
DIS Veteran

It's not like you'll be stranded without being able to turn the camera on, but to get the most out of any camera, it takes practice.

With the rx100 in full auto mode, you will get above average pictures generally. Play around with creative settings, and you'll have fun and get stuff a bit more unique.
Learn to master the different modes, including switching to manual when necessary, gives you the best chance for exceptional shots. You probably won't get there in 6 days, BUT a Disney setting is a great place for hands on learning.
Dark rides, fire works, parades, scenery, action, candids.

It's a great camera. So if its a question of buying it now or later -- buy it now. Learn what you can, and keep learning as you go.

If you have specific questions about settings in specific situations, don't be afraid to ask me. My rx100 Disney pics are all over the board.

You also don't NEED any special software. But if you want to get a bit extra juice out of your pics, shoot in raw and use Lightroom.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
dkfogt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
It's not like you'll be stranded without being able to turn the camera on, but to get the most out of any camera, it takes practice.

With the rx100 in full auto mode, you will get above average pictures generally. Play around with creative settings, and you'll have fun and get stuff a bit more unique.
Learn to master the different modes, including switching to manual when necessary, gives you the best chance for exceptional shots. You probably won't get there in 6 days, BUT a Disney setting is a great place for hands on learning.
Dark rides, fire works, parades, scenery, action, candids.

It's a great camera. So if its a question of buying it now or later -- buy it now. Learn what you can, and keep learning as you go.

If you have specific questions about settings in specific situations, don't be afraid to ask me. My rx100 Disney pics are all over the board.

You also don't NEED any special software. But if you want to get a bit extra juice out of your pics, shoot in raw and use Lightroom.

You're right - what better place to learn than Disney

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: