Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
Disney Spaz
DIS Veteran

Help, GAC card? Or any Advice Please

Okay so my family and I have a trip to WDW for Christmas planned. My parents are coming for 2 days. One resort day and one Epcot day. My mom is usually non stop going, going, going...

Well my mom had a heart abulation last month that found problems with her heart valves. In mid October she is having surgery to put bands around the two valves or possibly replace both valves if the doctor feels it in necessary during the surgery.

So this stuff is all new to me and I am trying to keep myself busy since I feel helpless in this whole situation so I figured I would try to find out what I can do to help her if she can still come to WDW.

Our current plans are;
12/27 Arrive and check in and relax at Pop.
12/28 We are doing a late brunch at the resort then we have a dinner at O'Hana's.
12/29 Epcot for lunch at Le'Celliar and the 5pm Candlelight Processional. I was thinking on this day we would get the GAC so she can possibly wait in a seated area if thatis available??? The only rides we would possibly do are Soarin', Spaceship Earth, and maybe Seas with Nemo. The biggest thing we want to do is to see that Christmas stuff because my mom loves Christmas.
12/30 They head home

So my question is what can I do to make things eaiser for her. Am I planning too much? Has anyone gone through this and can tell me how they felt 2 months post surgery? I realize they may not be able to go at all but if they still do I want her to be completely comfortable.

Thanks for any adivce/help.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Spaz View Post
Okay so my family and I have a trip to WDW for Christmas planned. My parents are coming for 2 days. One resort day and one Epcot day. My mom is usually non stop going, going, going...

Well my mom had a heart abulation last month that found problems with her heart valves. In mid October she is having surgery to put bands around the two valves or possibly replace both valves if the doctor feels it in necessary during the surgery.

So this stuff is all new to me and I am trying to keep myself busy since I feel helpless in this whole situation so I figured I would try to find out what I can do to help her if she can still come to WDW.

Our current plans are;
12/28 We are doing a late brunch at the resort then we have a dinner at O'Hana's.
12/29 Epcot for lunch at Le'Celliar and the 5pm Candlelight Processional. I was thinking on this day we would get the GAC so she can possibly wait in a seated area if thatis available??? The only rides we would possibly do are Soarin', Spaceship Earth, and maybe Seas with Nemo. The biggest thing we want to do is to see that Christmas stuff because my mom loves Christmas.
12/30 They head home

So my question is what can I do to make things eaiser for her. Am I planning too much? Has anyone gone through this and can tell me how they felt 2 months post surgery? I realize they may not be able to go at all but if they still do I want her to be completely comfortable.

I would have her chat with her MD to get some medical advice. They may suggest walking would be too much and to rent a wheelchair. They may also suggest the rides would not be recommended. Please note that when requesting a GAC you request the provisions you need and not tell them the medical condition you suffer from.

Good luck and I hope you have a great trip!
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

There is no seating in the lines for Candlelight. I would recommend getting a wheelchair so she can be seated in line. She does not have to stay in it for the show. Park it and have a seat on the benches. They do have backs

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Spaz View Post

Our current plans are;
12/30 They head home

I agree tht you/she will need to talk to the doctor about your plans.

Of the 3 attractions you mentioned, only one - Spaceship Earth - has a spot to sit while you wait if you don't have a wheelchair or ECV with you.

She is really likely to need a wheelchair because a GAC seldom provides a place to sit and almost never shortens the distance walked.
Many people only consider the distance in lines, but the distance between things is a large consideration too. Walking around World Showcase itself is over 1 mile!
Getting into the Land Pavilion involves walking up a fairly long, steep hill and then partway down a long ramp before taking either the elevator or ramp downstairs to get to Soarin'. The distance from the ride entrance to the boarding area for Soarin' is over 1/4 mile, with an equal distance getting from the unload area back to the Soarin' entrance. So, to get into the building, ride Soarin' and then get back out again to go in the Seas, could easily be 1 mile of walking.

The time you are going is very busy (stretch your arms out all the way and you will touch someone busy), which makes walking harder and makes it more likely that benches will be filled with other people who are stopping to rest. So, the only way you can count on having a place to sit is to have a wheelchair or ECV with you.
I would not recommend an ECV unless she is very familiar with driving one. Evenin unbusy times, the concentration to drive is tiring. It becomes much more difficult the more people there are and, she will be able to see more if he is not having to watch where she is going.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Disney Spaz
DIS Veteran

Thank you ccgirl, Talking Hands and SueM in MN.

I think you are all right about the wheelchair and that would keep us from needing a GAC. Plus between our two grown kids 21 & 23, plus my husband and I it would be nothing for us to push her around. Now I just have to get her to agree to let us push her around. My mom is a little stubborn aobut these things. Hopefully her doctor will back me up.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Are you SURE that it is OK for her to go on Soarin' & Spaceship Earth? The Seas with Nemo is not a problem, but I question the other two. Please ask the doctor. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Pluto View Post
Are you SURE that it is OK for her to go on Soarin' & Spaceship Earth? The Seas with Nemo is not a problem, but I question the other two. Please ask the doctor. Thanks!
I'm not sure what you consider the issues for those attractions to be.

Soarin' has a warning for fear of heights and motion sickness only and Spaceship Earth has no warnings.

I know some people think Soarin' has other warnings, but it does not. It moves very gently (simulating floating on air currents).
I wonder if you are confusing Spaceship Earth (a slow moving ride looking at the history of communication) with Mission Space (a turbulent ride with many warnings that simulates space travel to Mars)?

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
I'm not sure what you consider the issues for those attractions to be.

Soarin' has a warning for fear of heights and motion sickness only and Spaceship Earth has no warnings.

I know some people think Soarin' has other warnings, but it does not. It moves very gently (simulating floating on air currents).
I wonder if you are confusing Spaceship Earth (a slow moving ride looking at the history of communication) with Mission Space (a turbulent ride with many warnings that simulates space travel to Mars)?
I was thinking of the backwards motion of Spaceship Earth. Soarin' and movement also was a concern. The movements on each of these are not usual movements. I am hopefully very wrong. That is why I asked the OP to clear it with her doctor. Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: