Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
RidingSolo
Earning My Ears

Question Disneyland, just me and my 3 year old!

I'm thinking of planning a trip for December. It will be my 3 year old's first Disneyland trip. I will be graduating from college that month, and when I started I told myself I'd take him after graduation, before I started working...

and suddenly it's here! Now I'm wondering if I'm INSANE. I really, really want to take him - he LOVES Mickey Mouse Club House, Cars, Peter Pan, etc... I know he would love it. But I'm so nervous about going with just me and a toddler! Has anyone done this? Do you have any tips?!
RidingSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
marcemc
I wouldn't be able to handle such fluffliness either

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingSolo View Post
I'm thinking of planning a trip for December. It will be my 3 year old's first Disneyland trip. I will be graduating from college that month, and when I started I told myself I'd take him after graduation, before I started working...

and suddenly it's here! Now I'm wondering if I'm INSANE. I really, really want to take him - he LOVES Mickey Mouse Club House, Cars, Peter Pan, etc... I know he would love it. But I'm so nervous about going with just me and a toddler! Has anyone done this? Do you have any tips?!
Congrats on graduating

You will have a fun time, yes, even with a toddler , my recommendation would be to go with the flow and be relaxed. Make sure you stick to his meals & nap schedule and don't try to overdo it by trying to see everything.

It's the memories that count.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
loricdietzel
Mouseketeer

I haven't done it- but you will have a blast! When I read your title I thought- aw!!! How lucky!!!! I would love to go to Disneyland with just my dd! (who is now 4, but we went when she was 3.)

Go and have a great time!!!! You will be making some magical memories!!!!
loricdietzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
DisneyMommy403
Wishing on a Star

go for it! you'll make some great memories!

I agree with the PP, just be patient, take your time, and try your best to keep the little one fed and rested.

congrats on graduating!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
disneegrl4eva
now we just need a secret handshake or sign...
...because I'm special like that

first of all......

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

thats a HUGE accomplishment..especially with a baby in tow....second, I totally love that age in a childs life...and taking him to DL will bring such joy and amazement..especially if he loves Mickey and cars...he may get overwhelmed at first because hes only ever seen them on TV and then all of a sudden there is this giant of a mouse coming at him but I really dont think you will have a hard time taking him by yourself...it will make such great memories for you...he probably wont remember much so you will have to take tons of pics to show him..I definitely second what marcemc said about the food and naps..its a definite!!!....I definitely think you should take him
Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

Congratulations...and I say take him as well.
I am considering doing this with DD(4) early next year between our two trips. I think it would be fun.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

DO IT!!!!

Its such a magical time - they still totally buy into the magic of the whole thing and seeing it through your son's eyes will be something you will never forget.

I went alone with a 4 year old and a baby. We did great. Didn't do everything in the parks but we hung out and did all sorts of things, took lots of pics, ate lots of yummy food. Just went slow and stopped when the mood struck us. One of my favourite trips!

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
kindakrazy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

Definitely go for it. I think it's awesome you want to take your son, and there are many great things you can do together. While he may not remember much, if anything, you always will, and you will have pictures to show him. Don't get so involved taking pictures though that you didn't get to fully enjoy the experience of just being there with him and seeing how he reacts to everything.

Things to consider:
When are you planning on going exactly? December is wonderful because of the holiday decorations and activities and the festive atmosphere. The week of Christmas and the week of New Year's though are the two busiest weeks of the entire year and can be a bit overwhelming to the less experienced visitor.

Are you visiting for more than one day? If it's within your budget, I would highly recommend two or even three days and, of course, visiting both parks.

Potty trained or not? Make sure to carry a change of underwear and clothes even if he is potty trained because all the stimulation can be a bit distracting. Be aware that each park has a Baby Center that can be a helpful resource. These locations also have tiny toilets suitable for toddlers.

Tips:
If you are staying in a hotel, look for one within close walking distance.

Bring lots of little snacks to help avoid crankiness (his and yours ).

Great things to do with that age include character meet and greets, Fantasyland rides, Buzz Lightyear ride, Winnie the Pooh ride, parades, Disney Junior show, Muppetvision 3D movie, Monsters Inc. ride, Toy Story ride, and Ariel's ride. Carsland is awesome to visit as well. You will have plenty to do even without the "thrill" rides.

Congratulations on your graduation and have a great celebration at Disneyland with your son.
longtimedisneylurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
Stitch35
Mouseketeer

I went with my DS when he was just 4. It was a mommy and me trip. My tip is let him lead. If he wants to play in toon town for an hour let him. Do a ride over and over, great! Is he just 3 or an older 3? He may be overwhelmed at first, but then the look on his face when he meets Mickey for the first time, is priceless. Characters really take their time with the little ones. One of the backpack leashes might come in handy and definitely have a stroller. Bring a lot of snacks and stay close to the park. He might fall asleep in the stroller or you might take naps at your hotel. The area is pretty safe, so you can feel comfortable walking back and forth.
Stitch35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #10
pharmama
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on your graduation!

I just spent 3 1/2 days at DLR just me and my 3yr old DD. I also did a trip with my now 7yr old DD when she was 3 (just before the now 3yr old was born). You will have a fantastic time- its a very fun age. everything is so magical to them.

I would definitely try to get into Toontown Morning Madness, especially if he loves MMCH so he knows all the classic characters.

Do as many days as you can so you can go at his pace. I loosely planned certain days in certain parks partly based around some character dining I booked and when we planned to se WoC etc. but mostly let her dictate where we went and what we did (though I did deny requests to go on Small World next when we were at, say, Toy Story Midway Mania...).

You'll have a fantastic time. Seeing the magic through their eyes is just wonderful.

Disneyland many times as a child, now sharing the magic with my children....
Disneyland 5K 2014 (as Lilo & DD9 as Stitch), Disneyland 10K 2014 (dressed as Jessie)
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon 2009 & 2010 (dressed as Jessie)
Disney Dream 5nt Double Dip, July 2012.
pharmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #11
roobug
Mouseketeer

Congratulations. I have done Disneyland by myself with my twin boys. I went when they where two and when they were three. I had such a great time! My biggest suggestion has already been mentioned but keep him on his normal schedule with eating and naps. Makes the trip so much easier.
roobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #12
yaya74
Mouseketeer

Congratulations on your great achievements!

you and your baby will have, a blast at DLR. I took my DD there when she was only 18months old. We had a great time! She is now 4 and I canot wait to take her back in Nov.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #13
lurpee
Mouseketeer

Congratulations on graduating! That's fantastic! I think you should! When do you think you will be there? I'll be there Dec 14th to 26th with our family from the 14th thru the 18th and just my little family the rest of the time. If you're there during that time we could meet up. I have DD4 and DD11 mos (in December). I hope you get to make a trip soon!

lurpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:45 AM   #14
MyYearWithTheMouse
Disneyland In A Year!

Congratulations on graduating!!! Big accomplishment!

You'll have a great time. As others have said, make sure you adhere to his regular schedule. Don't worry too much about doing everything--you can always come back. Sure, maybe not next year, but in a few years. If he wants to ride Small World 3 times, go for it. Don't forget to be a kid yourself! It's so different through the eyes of a child.

I would also add that I think Turtle Talk is a great activity for that age. And definitely make use of Photopass, and be sure to ask the PP photographers to take pictures with your own camera. You need to have pictures of the two of you together!!!

Shelby, head My Year With The Mouseketeer
MyYearWithTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #15
RidingSolo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurpee View Post
Congratulations on graduating! That's fantastic! I think you should! When do you think you will be there? I'll be there Dec 14th to 26th with our family from the 14th thru the 18th and just my little family the rest of the time. If you're there during that time we could meet up. I have DD4 and DD11 mos (in December). I hope you get to make a trip soon!
I think we will be there at the same time!! I would *love* to meet up!!
RidingSolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3 year old, single mom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: