Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
BCDisneyFanatic
DIS Veteran

Help! Yahoo account hacked...

My yahoo account started sending out spam yesterday. I know it's not 'spoofing' since the emails show in my 'sent' folder.

I quickly changed my password (it's now considered 'very strong'), checked that there's no secondary emails registered to the account, and updated my software/security settings for my macbook. Despite all this, my account just sent out another wave of spam (I caught it after the first message went, and there were three more still in my draft folder).

Any ideas of anything else I can do to save this account? I'd really rather not delete this account if it can be helped, but am starting to think it might be inevitable!
BCDisneyFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Goofy_Disney_Dad
Mouseketeer

Have you ran a virus scan recently? The reason I ask is there are many backdoor programs (virus) that will attach to your working email program and send spam. This is a way for actual spam providers to not be detected because they are sending their email out via several thousand email accounts versus one. Is your password saved on your computer for your yahoo account or do you have to manually enter it each time you access it? If it's saved on your computer to auto login I would change that setting and remove the cookies associated with that account from your browser.

Run a virus scan and disable the auto login for your account and see if that saves the problem. Also, make yourself another email account with gmail, yahoo or whoever and add it to your contacts. Check that email after a few days to see if your yahoo account is still sending spam. I actually recommend that to everyone as a tool to see if they have issues with a virus they may not be aware of.
Goofy_Disney_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
jsmith
And now I am off to get my clippie!
And don't forget to take care of yourself

it is actually not a "hack" from the stand point of your password having been compromised. Its a replicator virus that was in a spam email that you got somewhere along the line-its coded to send an email or emails-usuallly with a hyper link embedded in it to your address book. It may also have come from a website where you entered your address. There is very little -short of deleting the account that you can do to stop it-but they usually only send themselves out a few at a time. It is one of the risks you run using a free email service. and -ruits not running on your computer-its running on the yahoo server your account is housed on-you can up date security all day-it wont stop til yahoo does maintance on that server. The account doesnt even have to be in use for a replicator to use it-they can replicate themselves to the address book of any mailbox with a contact list even if they are not opened-i got a couple this summer from an account belonging to a friend who was killed in iraq in 2008-rather unnerving at first.

Last edited by jsmith; 09-27-2012 at 09:20 PM.
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
BCDisneyFanatic
DIS Veteran

Thanks for both your advice. I'm not sure how to run a virus scan on a mac...I've done a bit of reading on it, and everything seems to suggest that it's not necessary as long as I've regularly updated my built-in security software.

This email address appeared in each of the messages sent out:

scklweorpkwpokwerpko@mail.com

Googling brings me lots of hits indicating that that email address is related to the hack (or whatever you want to call it).

I've deleted my address book from yahoo (it's backed up on my iPhone), so maybe that will stop the spam? I figure it's worth a try!
BCDisneyFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:25 AM   #5
travelbug
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDisneyFanatic View Post

This email address appeared in each of the messages sent out:

scklweorpkwpokwerpko@mail.com
I had the exact same thing happen with the same e-mail address you mentioned here. My yahoo account sent out the bogus message without me even having received it in the first place, and without me having the yahoo account open and operating at the time. That was a few days ago. So far, no other strange activity with my yahoo account, but I'm keeping a close eye on it.
2005 - Feb.-BCV & POFQ; Mar.-BWV & SSR
2006 - Feb.-BWV & ASMo; Apr.-BCV; Nov.-BCV
2007 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Grand Cayman (DVC pts.)
2008 - Jan.-BCV; Dec.-BWV; 2009 - Apr.-SSR
2010 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Cabo San Lucas (DVC pts.), Dec.-BWV
2012 - Feb.-AKV; Apr.-BWV; Dec.-BWV & BCV
2013 - June-Aulani; 2014 - Jan.-BWV
2015 - Jan.-BCV & BWV
travelbug is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: