Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
lalasmama
DIS Veteran

Castle Inn vs Park Vue Inn

It's down to these two hotels for our upcoming trip to visit our favorite mouse... Our general qualifications:
  • A "divided" suite of some sort so SO and I can stay up when it's DD's bed time.
  • Close enough to avoid renting a car.
  • Free of any hitch-hiking critters.
  • Fridge.
  • Coffee pot.

I've walked by Castle every day on each trip, and thought (on my way to my trusty Super 8), "Gee, Castle isn't *that* much closer, but what I would give to stay there and be done with my walk!" LOL.

I don't recall seeing Park Vue on my trips, though, I admit I could have passed it without realizing it, since I usually cross over and head up Harbor on the DLR side vs the motels' side. I'll admit that I'm hesitant to try it because of the potential of hitchhiking little insect friends, from BlackJack's recent experience... but the price is right, and the reviews on tripadvisor are hard to ignore.

If you have stayed at both, which one would you choose? If you've stayed at one or the other, sell me on it! They are only $16 difference for comparable suites.
lalasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
yaya74
Mouseketeer

read this 13 pages long thread on Park Vue Inn before you make your decision:
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...&highlight=pvi
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
teach1abc
Mouseketeer

I saw the recent review of Park Vue here too which surprised me. We stayed there last March and didn't have any issues. We went in with the expectations that we were staying in a motel not the Ritz (we stayed at the Grand CA the time before this). We felt the PVI worked well for us as a backup option when on-site wasn't an option.

We have a 4 and 8 yr old so it was nice staying in the suite at PVI. When they went to bed, we could be up in the other room. There was a mini kitchenette with a min fridge and even an oven. It was directly across the street from the cross walk to Disney. The offered a free breakfast and light dinner - not the best food but it was free and everyone found something to eat. One night we were back at the room a little earlier and we were able to see the fire works from our room. We recommended this place to many people after our trip. Before we go next time, I will definitely take a look at the recent reviews, because the person who posted the really negative review does concern me but I won't automatically never stay there because we did have a very good experience there.
teach1abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
disney4cam
Mouseketeer

I know this wasn't your question, but have you thought of the Desert Inn & Suites? It's super close, and they have reasonably priced suites. I don't know about the fridge and coffee pot, though.
disney4cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Also do a search for Castle Inn, my review is posted multiple times on different threads. All I know is I will never ever stay there again. If that was the only hotel I could stay at on a trip I wouldn't go to DL! And that's saying a lot for me. lol

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
mom2tinkandmickey
Mouseketeer

My sister stayed at The Castle Inn last Thanksgiving, while we stayed at Park Vue Inn. She said it was a dump, and would not stay there again for free! We have stayed at PVI at least 70 times in the last 7 years, and never had anything but a perfect stay. We actually prefer it, for the price and distance, over DLH.

I am surprised you are finding comparable rates between the two hotels. My sister stayed at Castle Inn instead of PVI because she was on a tighter budget, and Castle Inn was exactly 1/2 the price.
mom2tinkandmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
codimouse
Over 45 Trips to Disney from San Antonio, Tx!

We stayed in a family suite back in march. It is not a 5 star resort but it was clean. We had plenty of towels for a family of 5. A king bed and 2 queen beds. The floors were clean and the beds were clean.
Housekeeping was always attentive and left the kids towel animals, folded the kids blankets and always lined up their stuffed animals.
It had a small refrigerator and microwave.
On the 2nd night we noticed the remote to the 2nd tv was not working. Maintenance came right away and installed fresh batteries.
It is an easy 5-10 minute walk to the parks.

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
codimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
lalasmama
DIS Veteran

After SO looked at the websites and some reviews of each place, we've booked at PVI. Hoping it's okay. SO's "easy"--the last time he went to Disneyland, they camped, so he's thrilled that we'll have beds and coffee! LOL (So easy to please!)

We're crossing our fingers that we have a good stay there.

Like I said before, we're used to staying at the Super 8 on Katella, so PVI's location is a HUGE improvement, and, I'm sure, will seem like a much better vacation just because of the shorter walk... well, unless we see hitchhiking critters. Then, we'd be screwed.

Here's to some !

Last edited by lalasmama; 10-04-2012 at 10:31 PM.
lalasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalasmama View Post
Like I said before, we're used to staying at the Super 8 on Katella, so PVI's location is a HUGE improvement, and, I'm sure, will seem like a much better vacation just because of the shorter walk...

Here's to some ixiedust: !

In my opinion, location is SOOO important. I have stayed at several places on Harbor, some close, some far, as well as at Paradise Pier. I go with my sister every year and her favorite trip was when we stayed at Tropicana which was right across the street. She liked that trip even more than when we stayed at Paradise Pier because frankly, even if you cut through GCH, that was still more of a walk than I would like.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #10
wannagoback
Broke them in before the trip
We were with Goofy and Donald on the Teacups ride

I have stayed at Castle Inn twice and thought it was just fine! Nit nearly the same as DLH or HOJO but good for the price! A PP suggested Desert Inn and that's where I am going on my next trip. Check out the parlor suite, it has a separate sitting area with a door.
wannagoback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:59 AM   #11
Buddyex
Earning My Ears

The five of us stayed 7 nights in a kids suite about a month ago at the Castle, it was cheap and cheerful and the divivded rooms came in handy, no issues apart from the Wifi signal being pretty lousy, but with a fridge, microwave and coffee maker it ticked all our boxes and was great for the price and nice and close to the parks and food options.
Buddyex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
kraken33
Earning My Ears

I've stayed at the Park Vue at least 5 times with no issues at all. It seems there are a few horror stories about it but I've personally never had any issues. Looking forward to 4 nights there in December.
kraken33 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: