Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Back in gloomy Britain - Highs and Lows

We arrived back on Monday afternoon after nearly 3 weeks in glorious Florida.

Not many lows and to be honest, none of them are directly Disney related, so I'll start with those to get them out of the way.

Lows

British Airways! Seriously guys, after refusing to touch them with a ten foot barge pole for over 10 years, I was optimistic about giving them a chance but we got off to a bad start right from EDI. I had done OLCI and selected seats. I don't really mind too much where we sit but did NOT want to be in the back of the plane as DD gets sick flying and the further forward you can sit, the better.

Arrived at EDI airport at about 4 am and went to check in. I spotted a very surley "I don't wanna be here" member of staff and actually let the couple behind us go in front of me to avoid her. Unfortunately as they stepped forward, another desk came available and called and they headed right there so we were stuck with Little Miss Sunshine and her Amy Winehouse hairdo and sulky presentation. My cheery "Good morning" was ignored. So we proceeded to check in. Single word or short phrases only from this woman.
"Your seats have changed"
ME: "Oh okay, no matter, where are we now?"
"At the back"
Me: "Right at the back"
"YES!" [snippy] "Last row"
I explained politely that this was not practical for us and asked if she could see if there was anywhere else as I had no window/aisle preference and we'd just go with whatever she could do to help.
The response:
"There's nothing. Plane's full and it's not my problem Just be thankful you aren't one of the 79 people bumped off the flight. Aircraft change to a smaller plane so perhaps your seats don't look so bad now ...."

No worries. Thanks for your help (and please feel free to bend over and apply your friendly demeanour as a suppository)

I immediately went to Customer Services and made a complaint. Good grief!

Similar cold reception at Gatwick but the in flight crew were great.

British Airways? Just wait til I get onto that Facebook page!

Scooters! Not in the parks but on the flaming buses seriously, 2 scooters take up 6 seats, plus the people have to transfer (2 more seats gone) and then their family/friends board with them. They really need to come up with an alternative solution or limit them to one per bus at busy times like park closing

Slow season - not exactly a low but I prefer the parks just a little busier. It adds atmosphere and the shorter park hours meant more rushing from one place to another. On an up side, we did discover how easy it is to do 3 parks in one day (we actually returned to our first park for the evening so had it been a different park, we could have done 4 in a day). It was a fun challenge on our second last full day as we finished up a few last things in the parks that we wanted to do.

Highs

MNSSHP
We ended up doing 3 parties out of the 4 that were on while we were there. We had a blast, both dressed up and got so much attention. We were given a "VIP" greeting with Cruella after the Mix n Mingle before she came out to meet the guests and got a string of photopass photos from our few minutes there

We got off Space Mountain and were called out by some CM's and complimented on our costumes and asked if we wanted to riide again and walked us through to re-board several times in succession until we thanked them and moved on.

The people we met! We made friends with some people at the resort as usual and one of the most memorable evenings we had was when the whole group of us took over the tables on the patio outside the foodcourt and sat up into the small hours screeching with laughter. I'm surprised they never asked us to shush or move

Photopass Plus was great. The only thing we would have struggled with if we had done a really short trip was there were numerous occasions where we would do a ride and the cameras were down - I mean all day! So one evening at DHS for example we rode RnR at least 12-15 times but there were no pics.

Nonetheless, with 648 photos on the card (I wont add borders to the ones I'm not over the moon about as there are just too many) it was great value. The CM who activated my card also gave it to us valid for the full 19 days as opposed to the 14 in the name of "Magic"

POFQ - as lovely as always and the most outstanding CM's and great atmosphere. We really love this resort.

Little 'extras' we were given - just little things that made us smile. Like DD trying to choose a bag of chips and a CM helped her choose by picking one and telling her it was hers to have
Being given a 5x7 photo of Mickey and Minnie in a card/frame
Getting our necklaces taken "to Mickey" and coming back twisted into stars

There were so many little things that stood out to me on this trip and made it awesome as always.

I can't offer a trip report in the conventional sense as, for the first time, I didn't keep a journal. However I could do a photo report by park plus MNSSHP if anyone is interested, but I will need to sort through my 4000+ photos and upload any that I would use so no rush but if enough folk would like one I will get that sorted once this crazy week comes to an end

Oh and an extra high (personal achievement) - I finally took my first fireworks photos

Last edited by 2Tiggies; 09-26-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Added a photo
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

Sounds amazing! And I would love to see your photos! :D

Oct 2012 - 2 weeks Southern Dunes+1 night at the Hard Rock Hotel!
Oct 2009 - 2 weeks Pop Century
Jan 2000 - 2 weeks Ramada Inn International Drive
Oct/Nov 1995 - 5 weeks Lindfields Villa, Kissimmee
madmumof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
joolz1910
I would have gone down to reception in my robe and slippers
I can't decide if it's sweet or sinister

Sounds great.
I would like to see the firework photo as I can never take photos in the dark.
2009 DLRP (DLH)
'Just Like we Dreamed it...at the DLH'
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)
2012 OKW at WDW 'A Whole New World'

joolz1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz1910 View Post
Sounds great.
I would like to see the firework photo as I can never take photos in the dark.
I made plenty mistakes, but they turned out ok and I enjoyed the learning curve. Every time I tried another night/show, I corrected previous mistakes and made new ones

Here is a link to a few of them posted on the Photography board (Flickr is sooooooo sloooooooow! I thought it was the WDW wifi but it's not)

Posts #1 and #16 I didn't post the Illuminations ones there yet as .... well, Flickr is slow at the mo

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2992897
Old 09-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
queendisney
DIS Veteran

Glad you had a fab time. We got treated to extra's as well this trip my fav being a funnel cake from Hollywood Studio's. I was trying to use some of my loads of snack credits on this and she gave it to me as a 'gift from Mickey'!

I found the parks much too busy. The MK was just packed everytime we went. The cast members all said it was the most busy they have ever seen for September! We are used to November and compared to that time it was just totally packed.

Your costumes are brilliant. We didn't go to MNSSHP but saw lots of wonderful costumes. The black horse going down main street at the party ridden by the headless horseman was also the horse that was pulling one of the carriages at POR.

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendisney View Post
I found the parks much too busy. The MK was just packed everytime we went. The cast members all said it was the most busy they have ever seen for September! We are used to November and compared to that time it was just totally packed.
Did you really think so? It was Dead! Mind you, MK is the one exception once the party nights start. It's always crowded on the non party days but quiet on party days with the early closing. We were there the week before the parties started and honestly, everything in MK including Space Mountain, was walk on most of the day and even by midday, wait time posted was around 10 minutes yet it more like 5. We had to learn NOT to use FP as we soon discovered that running to use them when you don't need them is a PITA
Old 09-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

That has to have been the fastest 3 weeks ever! Good to hear you had fun! The Cruella costumes are great!! I would LOVE to see your photos!

Wills First Adventure TR May 2013

Wills Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #8
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

What a shame that BA weren't able to step up and restore your faith in them. You've got to wonder what strange forces were at work in conspiring to land you with Miss Misery Guts, despite your best efforts to avoid her!

I've been struggling to justify the cost of PhotoPass+ over and above the regular service. Your observations mean I don't need to consider it any further. I'm not sure how many ride photos we'd want anyway, but if I'd chosen to pay for the option and they ended up being out of action half the time, I'd be well unimpressed.

queendisney, did you tend to take advantage of EMH? It's surprising how often people report significant differences in their experiences of crowd levels when visiting at the same time. Invariably, that's the key factor.

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:39 AM   #9
starrysky
DIS Veteran

Glad you had a good time and I loved the MNSSHP cosutmes.

Sorry to hear that BA were bad. We have been put off them because of the bad attitude and the prices as well.

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #10
mrtoffee
Mouseketeer

Sounds like you had a fab time

You mentioned the on thing im not looking forward to in your lows the scooters they drive me mad how they get priority on all the buses plus there pretty dangerous in the parks to.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
chmurf
DIS Veteran

how many pounds of sweets did you collect this time ?

feb-mar 2012 : POP
oct-nov 2012 : POP/CBR
oct-nov 2013 : AoA/POR
chmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #12
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
how many pounds of sweets did you collect this time ?
36 kg according to the luggage scales

Nearly half has already been shared out at the school among ecstatic classmates. The rest is mostly destined for other recipients so we're not that greedy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: