Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Any authors

I have a great idea for a book and it is pretty unique. I have the outline and all the things I would like to include. Once you write a book, how do you go about getting it published? How do you keep someone for stealing your idea and then turning you down? It is a lot of work, but I am going to go ahead and write it, even if it never goes anywhere.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
I have a great idea for a book and it is pretty unique. I have the outline and all the things I would like to include. Once you write a book, how do you go about getting it published? How do you keep someone for stealing your idea and then turning you down? It is a lot of work, but I am going to go ahead and write it, even if it never goes anywhere.
You can self publish on the Amazon Kindle store, I know a few people who have done this.

Former Epcot CM

PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009176
ladypage is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
cornflake
DIS Veteran

You try to get an agent, who would submit your book to publishers in hopes of selling it.

You've already written the book, so stealing the idea wouldn't do them any good, you could sue anyone who tried to replicate it.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
surfergirl602
Well you're one step ahead of me

join us on the writers thread! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2733477
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
https://melissamackinnon.wordpress.com
surfergirl602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Yes, join us!

In my opinion, writing the book is only a small part of the "dirty work". If you decide to self-publish, you'd better have a very quality product or it will likely get lost among the 11 million other books on Amazon. If you would like to go the traditional route, once you have your manuscript, you can either query agents or publishers directly (some bigger houses are open to submissions by a reputable agent only, and an agent can help you negotiate a better deal). There is plenty of info online about this. Research, research, research, before you send anything out.

If you are professional and knowledgable about the industry, and can show you have realistic expectations, you are already above 95% of the submissions agents and editors receive. Pretty much everybody thinks they have a publishable novel in them, but very few people have the tenacity, patience, and talent it takes to get there.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
Have a copy editor/proofreader look at it before you submit it anywhere. E.g., a phrase like "pretty unique" should never be used anywhere. Something is either unique or not unique.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
Have a copy editor/proofreader look at it before you submit it anywhere. E.g., a phrase like "pretty unique" should never be used anywhere. Something is either unique or not unique.
Wow. That was harsh. We all say things when we talk that we might not use when writing. No wonder people are reluctant to ask question here. Why the need to tear the OP apart? Wouldn't the world be a better place if we were supportive of each other instead of looking for something to criticize?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

While yes, adhering to rules of grammar and usage are important when submitting a draft to an agent or editor, it's not everything. Sure, you don't want your manuscript to be a hot mess, but publishing professionals are, above all, looking for a good, unique story. The odd small mistake here or there certainly won't deter them if they love the story. After all, they pay an entire department to do the copy-editing. Manuscripts that have been revised countless times routinely come back from that department covered in red ink-- it's quite normal.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: