Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
Bitsmommy
Mouseketeer

I just need two seconds to freak out...

We leave for Disney world Friday at 5:20 am. BOTH of my children just tested positive for strep throat!!!! The youngest is very ill. Fever, won't swallow anything ( thank goodness for the gtube), full body rash and generally sick. While the oldest has no symptoms with the exception of 3 little Puss pockets on the back of his throat. I am really worried that the baby isn't going to be well enough to fly. Please say something to make me feel betterbete
Old 09-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
ditsypixie
DIS Veteran

I really hope they feel better soon!!!! Did they get put on antibiotics? Hopefully, that will help the healing process speed up! Here's hoping for some pixie dust on your family
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
Bitsmommy
Mouseketeer

Yes, both on antibiotics. The doctor skipped the "first line" antibiotics and went straight to the stronger stuff because he knew we were leaving!
Old 09-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Lilliputian
DIS Veteran

The antibiotics work really quickly for strep. I know they feel awful right now, but in 24 hours they'll be almost back to normal. By Friday, it should be perfectly fine. I know it's frustrating to have something big happen at the last minute, but it really shouldn't be an issue for your trip.
Lilliputian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
rewardsinlife
Mouseketeer

Well good news is that kids are pretty resilient. I think being on hardcore antibiotics for 3 days prior to leaving should definitely give them a step up and on the road to recovery. Make sure to pack some comforting things for them( a favorite toy, blanket) so they can feel a little more secure. Also watching the energy levels throughout the day is a must. If you notice they are getting too tired, you can always go back to to hotel for nap, pool time, or just relaxation by watching a movie in the room. Too often we try to cram as much as possible into the vacation, and end up more tired,sick, and not enjoying the time because of it. Slow down, take your time, and cherish the time you have at the parks, but most of all with each other. ( oh and renting a stroller or wheelchair might be good too to help with stamina for the kids). Have a good trip!

me on the way to DL...every time!
rewardsinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
disney david
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear this I hope they feel better after all your planning. And worrying about Tsa. I hope they get better quickly and you all have a great time on the trip.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

I agree with PP that they should be feeling much better by the time you leave. Buy new toothbrushes, Lysol all hard surfaces and wash all personal comfort type items in hot water. Lots of handwashing. Last thing you want is for the grownups to come down with it. Oh, and lots of zinc and probiotics (make sure probiotics are at least 2 hours away from the antibiotics).

One more thing to keep in mind is that strep can have some nasty effects on mood. This seems to be more likely in special needs kids from what I can tell. Being sick in general will obviously make them cranky but strep in particular can (not necessarily but can, especially kids with atypical immune systems) effect the part of the brain that controls mood so more patience than normal. My 14yo has always reacted this way though most times through her life antibiotics did bring her mood back to normal (as much as she has normal as she has Asperger Syndrome).

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
Bitsmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch
I agree with PP that they should be feeling much better by the time you leave. Buy new toothbrushes, Lysol all hard surfaces and wash all personal comfort type items in hot water. Lots of handwashing. Last thing you want is for the grownups to come down with it. Oh, and lots of zinc and probiotics (make sure probiotics are at least 2 hours away from the antibiotics).

One more thing to keep in mind is that strep can have some nasty effects on mood. This seems to be more likely in special needs kids from what I can tell. Being sick in general will obviously make them cranky but strep in particular can (not necessarily but can, especially kids with atypical immune systems) effect the part of the brain that controls mood so more patience than normal. My 14yo has always reacted this way though most times through her life antibiotics did bring her mood back to normal (as much as she has normal as she has Asperger Syndrome).
Thanks!! We actually thought something was wrong with him before he started showing symptoms because of his mood!!
Old 09-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
Bitsmommy
Mouseketeer

I know!!! I have this TSA flying with a special needs kiddo licked and BAM they both get sick! Silver lining... They didn't get it down there. My oldest is 7, but I changed our stroller reservation to a double, just in case he is worn down. Besides, he can comfort his brother by being close if he is unsure (he is awesome at that). And when he isn't sitting there we can use it to hold stuff.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsmommy View Post
I know!!! I have this TSA flying with a special needs kiddo licked and BAM they both get sick! Silver lining... They didn't get it down there. My oldest is 7, but I changed our stroller reservation to a double, just in case he is worn down. Besides, he can comfort his brother by being close if he is unsure (he is awesome at that). And when he isn't sitting there we can use it to hold stuff.
Sounds like you have it worked out, with your own doctor instead of finding one on vacation.

Hope they heal quickly. My pediatrician said that sometimes these things are harder on the parents than on the patients.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
momofkids
Mouseketeer

My kids get strep quite a bit. They always bounce back within 24-48 of getting antibiotics. My son with ASD usually starts acting his normal self after just a few doses. I think you will be okay. Just be ready that the antibiotics might cause some loose stools (gross but true). I usually just give my son a banana or too each day and that helps along with some yogurt. Since those are his favorite foods it is a win, win for us.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofkids View Post
Just be ready that the antibiotics might cause some loose stools (gross but true).
I was going to warn of that very issue with the stronger antibiotics. You can get an OTC pro-biotic such as culterell and that should help.
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry you are going through this so close to your trip, but I agree with the PPs. 24-48 hours on antibiotics and they will likely be feeling a ton better. Definitely add in some probiotics. DD used to get the worst diarrhea when she was on antibiotics.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
Bitsmommy
Mouseketeer

Hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst. If the baby isn't ready to travel, he has special needs one being a very compromised airway, I will stay back with him and DS and ODS will go ahead to Disney. When he feels better the baby and I will follow. Hopefully, plan b won't be necessary!!
Old 09-28-2012, 03:03 AM   #15
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsmommy View Post
Hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst. If the baby isn't ready to travel, he has special needs one being a very compromised airway, I will stay back with him and DS and ODS will go ahead to Disney. When he feels better the baby and I will follow. Hopefully, plan b won't be necessary!!
Let us know how it worked out for you!

Hope your little ones feel well enough to enjoy the trip! I'm sure it will all work out well.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: