DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Lizard Valley
Mouseketeer

Names on deed?

I was wondering if there were any advantages to having extra names on a deed? I read a thread below about someone adding a name to the deed in order to get perks for that person (for example PAP).

The only people I would have considered putting on the deed were my children, but they're minors - wouldn't they receive the perks anyway? Would I need to add them once they become adults?

Then this makes me wonder if I should add my best friend's name to the deed, so that she (and her children) can take advantage of the perks when we travel together.

I should know the answer to these questions before I purchase (resale) and have to decide what names to put on
Lizard Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a disaster in the making to me (to add your friend). That person would be a full owner and have the same rights as you relative to selling the membership, etc. I predict you being here in 10-15 years asking for advice on your lawsuit (sorry to be so cynical, but that's how I really feel).
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Putting your friend on the deed gives them ownership. If you die, your friend gets the contract(s). If your friend files for bankruptcy, their creditors can take the contract(s).

You might want to check with your attorney.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard Valley View Post
I was wondering if there were any advantages to having extra names on a deed? I read a thread below about someone adding a name to the deed in order to get perks for that person (for example PAP).

The only people I would have considered putting on the deed were my children, but they're minors - wouldn't they receive the perks anyway? Would I need to add them once they become adults?

Then this makes me wonder if I should add my best friend's name to the deed, so that she (and her children) can take advantage of the perks when we travel together.

I should know the answer to these questions before I purchase (resale) and have to decide what names to put on
Everyone on the deed is a legal owner of the property. If your friend (or you) hit a financial pothole and had to declare bankruptcy, the DVC property could be in jeopardy. I would NEVER add a non-family member to my deed.....too many things can go wrong over the next 35-50 years. What if your friend had to declare bankruptcy? The court might be able to come after the DVC if her name is on the deed. What if you guys have a falling out? She could make your vacations disappear because she would have full access to your account. Nothing can stop her from cancelling your reservations and making one of her own. The "perks" (which are not guaranteed) are NOT worth the risks, IMHO. But, I applaud you for being very generous in your intent.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV May 2015 AKV Expedition Everest Challenge
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Lizard Valley
Mouseketeer

Good advice about the friend - thanks!

But what about my kids? Do they need to be on the deed?
Lizard Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Caren90
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If your children are young, there is no reason to put them on the deed. If they are adults, then you can ask if they want to be saddled/ blessed with many years of maintenance fees in the future.

Stephen
Old 09-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Minor children can't own real estate, so their names can't be on the deed. And when they become adults, think carefully about adding them to the deed. As a PP said, if there's a divorce or a bankruptcy, the court can force a sale of the membership. Not their share of it - all of it, since a contract can't be broken up once you own it.

Just a word about the 'perks' - they largely come from third parties (other divisions of the Disney company, other companies) - and are not part of your membership. They come and go often. That big AP discount, for instance, could go away the day after you buy. Don't take the perks into account when deciding whether or not to buy.

Last edited by Lynne M; 09-25-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
WDWsnooper
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I agree with the others regarding the friend.

Our son was 5 when we bought DVC, now he is nearly 26 and married. I have added his name as an "associate", now he has the ability to make reservations for his family. As an associate, he does not have ownership, he can not sell the timeshare, and he is not responsible for paying the annual dues. Becoming an associate is merely a paperwork process and does not involve cost---but is added convenience for us.

If we had added him as an owner, it would involve fees, as if re-recording the deed and closing fees. At the time that I looked into it a few years ago, I think it was about $400 or so.

For now, associate member works for our son.
WDWsnooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #9
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWsnooper View Post
I agree with the others regarding the friend.

Our son was 5 when we bought DVC, now he is nearly 26 and married. I have added his name as an "associate", now he has the ability to make reservations for his family. As an associate, he does not have ownership, he can not sell the timeshare, and he is not responsible for paying the annual dues. Becoming an associate is merely a paperwork process and does not involve cost---but is added convenience for us.

If we had added him as an owner, it would involve fees, as if re-recording the deed and closing fees. At the time that I looked into it a few years ago, I think it was about $400 or so.

For now, associate member works for our son.
You can add someone yourself for around $50 including recording.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Do DVC memberships and points resell for close to what new memberships sell for?

Most timeshares will sell on the open market for far less than what they were originally sold for. If a creditor forced the sale of a jointly owned timeshare, what little it sold for has to be divvied up with the co-owner. That co-owner himself might even be the winning bidder at the sheriffs sale or foreclosure, with the final result being buying out the other co-owner at a deep discount.

Note that DVC deeds, unlike for most timeshares, have to be re-upped every 30 years or so with possible options from time to time to re-up for a lower price in advance. Depending on how soon the expiration date is, the resale price would vary.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:37 AM   #11
WDWsnooper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
You can add someone yourself for around $50 including recording.
How? I'd love to do this. When I checked with dvc, they told me it would run about 400 or so.....that was several years ago. They suggested using the associate member option.

Last edited by WDWsnooper; 10-02-2012 at 12:42 AM. Reason: additional info
WDWsnooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: