Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
cmrsfraz
Mouseketeer

Stroller for 8 yr. old? Which one?

We have been to Disney several times so I know how hard it can be on a child walking around the park all day. In the past we have always taken our own Joovy sit and stand. But this year my kids are older and the front seat of the sit and stand just isn't an option for them. My DDs are 8yr (59 lbs and 52" tall) and 5yr (40lbs and 42" tall) I am considering renting from Kingdom Strollers because of the better price and more comfort compared to the strollers in the parks.
However, I am wondering if the Double City Elite will have enough leg room. By looking at the photo it seems like there isn't much room for their legs. The foot rest seems really close to the seat. The Mini GT, however, looks to have more leg room than the Elite. The foot rest appears to be lower down for more room for their legs.
Has anyone seen these in person before to make this comparison for me?

I am really not looking forward to hauling this big double stroller on and off the buses, but I am guessing this is my only option. Renting in the parks just seems to be silly to pay more money for a less comfortable stroller. But then again I am a little worried that these Baby Joggers will look like a "baby stroller" for my eight year old. She won't mind what she rides in as long as she is comfortable. My eight year old is a big complainer when it comes to being tired and uncomfortable!

1984: 1st Trip to WDW
July 4th 2003: DH & I went on business trip. Spent 4 hrs. in MK only
Sept. 2008: First trip at POP with DD4 & DD1 Free Dining!
Dec. 2009: POP Free Dining Promo
Oct. 2010: Fall Family vacation to the World
Oct. 2012: POR, RGR
Sept. 2014: POR, RGR [/COLOR]

cmrsfraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
~Kristina~
DIS Veteran

The seat limit to the Baby Jogger is 55lbs, I think. Does your 8 yr old want to sit in a stroller?

November 21-28, 2015 Fort Wilderness
~Kristina~ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
A&M's Mommy
Mouseketeer

You're going to push your 60 pound 8 year old around WDW in a stroller because she complains about being tired and uncomfortable? Yikes. Have fun with that.
A&M's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

I strongly suggest you use the search function (above, in the blue bar) to look at the many, many other threads on the topic of stuffing elementary school aged children into strollers.

It's not pretty!

Though it IS highly entertaining for anyone with an moderately evil streak.

For the record, you can absolutely do as you please with your children. Until I discovered this board, I'd always assumed older kids being pushed around strollers were Special Needs - either intellectually or physically disabled. I've since learned otherwise!
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post

Though it IS highly entertaining for anyone with an moderately evil streak.
I love these boards.....
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
cmrsfraz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M's Mommy View Post
You're going to push your 60 pound 8 year old around WDW in a stroller because she complains about being tired and uncomfortable? Yikes. Have fun with that.
Sorry I asked. I didn't ask what everyone's opinion was of me renting a stroller for my 8 year old. I only asked for a comparison of the two strollers.

1984: 1st Trip to WDW
July 4th 2003: DH & I went on business trip. Spent 4 hrs. in MK only
Sept. 2008: First trip at POP with DD4 & DD1 Free Dining!
Dec. 2009: POP Free Dining Promo
Oct. 2010: Fall Family vacation to the World
Oct. 2012: POR, RGR
Sept. 2014: POR, RGR [/COLOR]

cmrsfraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrsfraz View Post
Sorry I asked. I didn't ask what everyone's opinion was of me renting a stroller for my 8 year old. I only asked for a comparison of the two strollers.
Welcome to the judgement zone! Try to ignore the rudeness. I'm sorry to say that it's been VERY mild so far. It will get worse, as soon as one particular child rearing genius shows up...Now, on to the question at hand.

If you go on Kingdoms website, under reviews, the first link, there's a video of the City Elite Double. It may give you a little more insight about the leg room.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

I would definitely check the weight limit on those doubles, and be sure to check and see if it is a combined weight for both seats.

If you want to push around an 8 year old, that is certainly one way to burn off any extra mickey bars, but make sure the specs on that stroller are up to the weight limit of both your kids.
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
Rylee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy13d69 View Post
It will get worse, as soon as one particular child rearing genius shows up....

Bet I know who.

OP - No advice on the strollers, just want to say... do whatever makes your trip pleasant for your family.

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrsfraz View Post

I just can't believe how rude people can be in here. I posted something about my sister and her special needs daughter getting harassed on a ride at DISNEY and the replies I got were so nasty and mean. Someone even said that "my sister should just deal with it". There is a much nicer forum site Tagrel.com. You will get your answers there. Hope you try it out. As for the stroller I have seen and know of older kids in them at DISNEY. Do what's best for your family!!!!

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42 View Post
I just can't believe how rude people can be in here. I posted something about my sister and her special needs daughter getting harassed on a ride at DISNEY and the replies I got were so nasty and mean. Someone even said that "my sister should just deal with it". There is a much nicer forum site Tagrel.com. You will get your answers there. Hope you try it out. As for the stroller I have seen and know of older kids in them at DISNEY. Do what's best for your family!!!!
I have not seen any rude comments. I have seen that folks are not all in agreement but no one has been rude. I admit that I find it odd that a healthy tween needs a stroller but I don't think I insulted anyone.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M's Mommy View Post
+1

Everyone gets tired. Take a break. It's ridiculous for a non-disabled 8 year old to ride in a stroller. I would hope they would be embarrassed.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
+1

Everyone gets tired. Take a break. It's ridiculous for a non-disabled 8 year old to ride in a stroller. I would hope they would be embarrassed.
It's common knowledge that kids have WAY more energy than adults. They also know really well how to throw fits to get what they want. I feel bad for the parents who have given their kids that much power over them that they are now wheeling them around a theme park on a throne!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
+1

SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
Dwheels
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M's Mommy
I agree! Lol this is what's wrong with our youth!! Lazy!!
Dwheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: