Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
budmonster
"Just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don't think you can go wrong." - Ella Fitzgerald

Help with ideas for a 1940s skit...

I am not very creative so when DD14 came to me last night and told me that she needed to create a skit about the 1940s for her 9th grade class I was at a loss. Oh and I guess I need to mention that she needs it yesterday, they have to put the skit on this Thursday at their homecoming growl.

I am at a complete loss, I've googled fashion, music, games and so on. If anyone has any suggestion I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks!
DTD Marriott 2003-Off Site May 2007-All Star Movie-Apr 2008 Pop Century-Apr 2009-All Star Music Nov 2009-Grand Floridian Dec 2009-Off Site Feb 2010-Pop Century Apr 2010-Pop Century Aug 2010- Pop Century November 2010-All Star Sports-2011 Lots and Lots of Day Trips
budmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

How many people? all girls or mixed? Music or "acting"

For the 1940's think WWII All girls could be the Maguire sisters singing if it is musical, or they could be working in a victory garden if it is acting, or gathering materials for the war effort, or they could be selling victory bonds.

The 1940's is easy!
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
Mrs.Malone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
How many people? all girls or mixed? Music or "acting"

For the 1940's think WWII All girls could be the Maguire sisters singing if it is musical, or they could be working in a victory garden if it is acting, or gathering materials for the war effort, or they could be selling victory bonds.

The 1940's is easy!
I agree! 1940s is a fun assignment. They could do something about the All American Girls pro baseball league during the war (A Leage of Their Own). They could work some dialogue in there about women having to take over traditionally men's roles during that time.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
amid chaos
DIS Veteran

google 1940's radio show. They could do a skit of all radio commercials...lots of ideas with radio shows.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by budmonster View Post
I am not very creative so when DD14 came to me last night and told me that she needed to create a skit about the 1940s for her 9th grade class I was at a loss. Oh and I guess I need to mention that she needs it yesterday, they have to put the skit on this Thursday at their homecoming growl.

I am at a complete loss, I've googled fashion, music, games and so on. If anyone has any suggestion I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Be inspired by music.
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/page...ngs-1940s.html

Example..."When you wish upon a star" is a song that was popular in the 40's. You could do "Pinocchio". It was released in theaters July 1940.
Create an original skit with the characters.

Or do a version of 1940's meets 2012. I would love to "reboot" a movie with computers, cell phones, cameras, etc.... I think that would be hilarious.
Can you imagine shortening a movie to 5 mintues because of technology. Sort of like "30 Second Bunnies"
http://www.angryalien.com/

Movie inspiration...
http://www.imdb.com/search/title/?re...e_type=feature

Good Luck!
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
JaneBanks
Lime Cordial, delicious! Laughing on the ceiling with Uncle Albert

You can also do a skit about what it was like during the war. Black out drills, air raid drills, victory gardens, etc.

The 1940's is full of ideas! The music alone is so much fun. You can do a skit about swing dancing.

Also, you should try looking up American Girl Molly - they released plays for each doll. If you can find Molly's play, you can get a good idea of what to do.

ETA: Women in the workplace! A skit about how women had to leave the home while the men went to war but didn't want to leave the workplace when they came home!

(ME) (DH) =

December 2010 Grand Floridian Honeymoon

February 2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
January 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter

Last edited by JaneBanks; 09-24-2012 at 12:41 PM.
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
budmonster
"Just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don't think you can go wrong." - Ella Fitzgerald

thanks for the ideas. There are only 8 people in the skit 6 girls and 2 boys. Not to many kids wanted to take part in it after finding out it was the 1940s. DD14 is a dancer and really wanted to incorporate something with the music and dancing.
DTD Marriott 2003-Off Site May 2007-All Star Movie-Apr 2008 Pop Century-Apr 2009-All Star Music Nov 2009-Grand Floridian Dec 2009-Off Site Feb 2010-Pop Century Apr 2010-Pop Century Aug 2010- Pop Century November 2010-All Star Sports-2011 Lots and Lots of Day Trips
budmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I agree with the person who mentioned radio advertising.

Here's a link about Arthur Godrey's show (radio and then tv): http://www.museum.tv/eotvsection.php...de=godfreyarth

A month after the December 1948 television debut of Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts came the premiere of Arthur Godfrey and His Friends. Here Godfrey employed a resident cast which at times included Julius La Rosa, Frank Parker, Lu Ann Simms, and the Cordettes. Tony Marvin was both the announcer and Godfrey's "second banana," as he was on Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts. The appeal of Arthur Godfrey and His Friends varied depending on the popularity of the assembled company of singers, all clean cut young people lifted by Godfrey from obscurity. Godfrey played host and impresario, sometimes singing off key and strumming his ukulele, but most often leaving the vocals to others.

As he had done on radio, Godfrey frequently kidded his sponsors, but always "sold from the heart," only hawking products he had actually tried and/or regularly used. No television viewer during the 1950s doubted that Godfrey really did love Lipton Tea and drank it every day. He delighted in tossing aside prepared scripts and telling his audience: "Aw, who wrote this stuff? Everybody knows Lipton's is the best tea you can buy. So why get fancy about it? Getcha some Lipton's, hot the pot with plain hot water for a few minutes, then put fresh hot water on the tea and let it just sit there."

Godfrey perfected the art of seeming to speak intimately to each and every one of his viewers, to sound as if he was confiding in "you and you alone." Despite all his irreverent kidding, then, advertisers loved him. Here was no snake oil salesman hawking an uneeded item, merchandise not worth its price. Here was a friend recommending the product. This personal style drove CBS efficiency experts crazy. Godfrey refused to simply read his advertising copy in the allocated 60 seconds. Instead he talked--for as long as he felt it necessary to convince his viewers of his message, frequently running over his allotted commercial time.

I think they could have a lot of fun with this.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

HM, that sounds totally FUN!!!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Show the boys departing for WWII. Maybe have some of the girls selling war bonds, talk about rationing -- maybe something about no stockings, some girls could be Rosie the Riveter-types. Show the boys again at a USO club watching some of the girls do song/dance act as entertainment.

Very fun stuff, but not lots of time to put it together.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Kies99
I Can has Cheezburger???

Here you go:

http://www.simplyscripts.com/radio_af.html

These are scripts from old radio shows. I recommend Fibber McGee and Molly.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, bacon in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

Some people are like slinkies, they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

Kies99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

You know what you could do?

You could have a "family", sitting around the radio listening to the show. So it gives it that "audience of the 1940's" part of the skit.

And then have some kids do "the show" and commercials.

You could even "mix it up" with the "family" listening, show and commercials for fun. Also "mix it up" with the shows they are doing. Like a montage, like "what's my line" sort of.

Anyway OP, hope some of us gave you some direction.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
lizabu
DIS Veteran

You know what would be so cute? Two couples doing a swing dance routine while the remaining girls sang or lipsynched "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" dressed as the Andrews Sisters.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: