Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
julieheyer
Crazy for the Mouse!

Thanksgiving recommendations

Hi!

We're going to be in SF area for Thanksgiving week. We're actually staying in Hayward for the week. There are 8 of us, 4 girls 9-13 and 4 adults. We're planning a day to Yosemite, and a day in SF to do the touristy things. I'd love suggestions on what to do, see, visit. We're thinking a day in wine country but not sure what's kid friendly there?

Also, since we're there on Thanksgiving day, could someone recommend a place to get lunch/dinner that day? I've been looking online, but can't seem to find a good option or 2?

Thanks!

Past trips: Mar. 2013, Nov 2012, Oct. 2011, Mar. 2009, June 2006... Can't remember before that!
julieheyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
PDuckX
Earning My Ears

Thanksgiving in SF

We spent that week in SF a couple years ago.

I can't really help you where to eat on TG day, we had a kitchen and did a simple dinner together. We are a family of 4 (Girls were 7 and 10 at the time) and had a great time.

Drove down to Carmel and Monterey one day to see the aquarium and the mission. Spent alot of time at Golden Gate Park at the playground and the science museum. Went to the Childrens Museum near the palace of fine arts. The kids loved the Cable cars and China town. There is a trampoline place in the Presidio just East of the South end of the Golden Gate Bridge that was helpful to burn energy. Spent an afternoon in Berkley and looked around the campus for awhile and had lunch. Went to a Womens soccer game at Stanford. We were there for a week and could have easily stayed another week as we were never at a loss to find something to do.

Have fun and just look for things that the kids have interest in.

Disneyland Vacations
July 1978 (???)
April 1989 (DLH)
October 2003 (GCH)
October 2005 (GCH)
October 2009 (GCH)
November 2010 (GCH)
November 2012 (GCH)
PDuckX is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
julieheyer
Crazy for the Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuckX
We spent that week in SF a couple years ago.

I can't really help you where to eat on TG day, we had a kitchen and did a simple dinner together. We are a family of 4 (Girls were 7 and 10 at the time) and had a great time.

Drove down to Carmel and Monterey one day to see the aquarium and the mission. Spent alot of time at Golden Gate Park at the playground and the science museum. Went to the Childrens Museum near the palace of fine arts. The kids loved the Cable cars and China town. There is a trampoline place in the Presidio just East of the South end of the Golden Gate Bridge that was helpful to burn energy. Spent an afternoon in Berkley and looked around the campus for awhile and had lunch. Went to a Womens soccer game at Stanford. We were there for a week and could have easily stayed another week as we were never at a loss to find something to do.

Have fun and just look for things that the kids have interest in.
Thank you!! I appreciate your reply. I'm looking forward to GG park too! Toying w/ Alcatraz. Dh would like to see it, and it sure is popular!

Looking on yelp for restaurant ideas. We'll have a little kitchenette, but I don't think I could make Tgiving dinner in it? Hmmm, it would be nice though. Dh wants to get Chinese!

Past trips: Mar. 2013, Nov 2012, Oct. 2011, Mar. 2009, June 2006... Can't remember before that!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
PDuckX
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieheyer View Post
Thank you!! I appreciate your reply. I'm looking forward to GG park too! Toying w/ Alcatraz. Dh would like to see it, and it sure is popular!

Looking on yelp for restaurant ideas. We'll have a little kitchenette, but I don't think I could make Tgiving dinner in it? Hmmm, it would be nice though. Dh wants to get Chinese!
When I said simple dinner, I meant very simple. We went to Safeway and got a pre-cooked turkey breast, boxed mashed potatoes, boxed stuffing, can of cranberry sauce, and can of green beans. Not the best thanksgiving dinner, but we all will remember it. I must say it wasn't all that bad of a dinner either. I can remember one or two way back that were similar.

I remember the City being pretty dead so it was easy to get around. We didn't really have any schedule other than Monterey and just rode the trolleys and busses and got off when ever we saw something we wanted to check out. The San Francisco City Pass as a great way to go, you get bus/Trolley passes and tickets for several attractions at a good price. I would recommend buying them at the Alcatraz booth. It will give you a guaranteed pass to the Island (which sells out fast).

Have a good time.

Disneyland Vacations
July 1978 (???)
April 1989 (DLH)
October 2003 (GCH)
October 2005 (GCH)
October 2009 (GCH)
November 2010 (GCH)
November 2012 (GCH)
Old 10-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

There is a site called GotDailydeals.com there is a deal for the Walt Disney Museum in SF in the Presidio. The tickets are 10 dollars , that is half off. Sorry don't have the link.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
gatorfreud
DIS Veteran

Look on opentable.com for dinner reservations... We ate last year at.... Palomar? Palomino? I think it was.... we are local but I hate cooking so we went out! It was pretty good.

Kim
3/07 - All Star Sports
7/07 - Disney's Vero Beach
11/07 - MVMCP, POR and Coronado Springs
1/08 - Disneyland
3/08 - Camping at Fort Wilderness
6/08 - Saratoga Springs and SWW!
10/08- DLR, GCH no kids!
11/08 - DLR, DLH Thanksgiving
4/09- Off site
6/09 - CBR and Poly
9/09- DLR, DLH
gatorfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
julieheyer
Crazy for the Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose
There is a site called GotDailydeals.com there is a deal for the Walt Disney Museum in SF in the Presidio. The tickets are 10 dollars , that is half off. Sorry don't have the link.
Thx! I'd love that, but dh will be a bit disneyed out . He can only indulge my Disney obsession so far.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
julieheyer
Crazy for the Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuckX

When I said simple dinner, I meant very simple. We went to Safeway and got a pre-cooked turkey breast, boxed mashed potatoes, boxed stuffing, can of cranberry sauce, and can of green beans. Not the best thanksgiving dinner, but we all will remember it. I must say it wasn't all that bad of a dinner either. I can remember one or two way back that were similar.

I remember the City being pretty dead so it was easy to get around. We didn't really have any schedule other than Monterey and just rode the trolleys and busses and got off when ever we saw something we wanted to check out. The San Francisco City Pass as a great way to go, you get bus/Trolley passes and tickets for several attractions at a good price. I would recommend buying them at the Alcatraz booth. It will give you a guaranteed pass to the Island (which sells out fast).

Have a good time.
We are doing Alcatraz now. Should we get the tickets in advance? The selling out thing I've read on tripadvisor too. Thx!

Old 10-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are doing Alcatraz now. Should we get the tickets in advance? The selling out thing I've read on tripadvisor too. Thx!
Yes, buy your tickets inadvance as they sell out.
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
PDuckX
Earning My Ears

Quote:
You might check, but we bought our tickets the day before at the booth with the City Pass which gave us next day reservations. If you are doing the City pass you can do it that way. If no City pass you should call ahead for a reservation. Try to go early, it gets really crowded.

Disneyland Vacations
July 1978 (???)
April 1989 (DLH)
October 2003 (GCH)
October 2005 (GCH)
October 2009 (GCH)
November 2010 (GCH)
November 2012 (GCH)
Old 10-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
BryANDJessMom
Mouseketeer

I Have taken my kids wine tasting before...We usually would go more in Sonoma, to smaller wineries. For instance, Ridge had chalk for the kids to draw on the sidewalk with....the owners of Trenadue, took them riding in the golf cart. They liked the massive gardens at Ferrari carnaros.

Sterling over off 12 past napa has a gondola that will take you up the hillside...kids liked that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: