Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
jdjd2004
Earning My Ears

Norovirus Disney Dream 9/20-9/23

Thought I would start this thread to see if anyone else from our cruise was suffering. After a fun Saturday on Castaway Cay, lunch at Cookies Too and dinner at Royal Palace, my husband became gravely ill with repeated bouts of vomiting and diarrhea, chills, fever, and muscle aches. Almost 20 hours after it started, he is still suffering. We called the Health Center at 1 a.m. on Sunday morning and were told it would be $220 to be seen. Since he knew would be off the ship in the morning (and home within and hour), my husband declined. Since my husband's illness was not "tracked" by the health center, I wonder how many other unreported cases might be out there.

Aside from the illness, and the rather snarky nurse at the health center, it was a really great cruise!
jdjd2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjd2004 View Post
Thought I would start this thread to see if anyone else from our cruise was suffering. After a fun Saturday on Castaway Cay, lunch at Cookies Too and dinner at Royal Palace, my husband became gravely ill with repeated bouts of vomiting and diarrhea, chills, fever, and muscle aches. Almost 20 hours after it started, he is still suffering. We called the Health Center at 1 a.m. on Sunday morning and were told it would be $220 to be seen. Since he knew would be off the ship in the morning (and home within and hour), my husband declined. Since my husband's illness was not "tracked" by the health center, I wonder how many other unreported cases might be out there.

Aside from the illness, and the rather snarky nurse at the health center, it was a really great cruise!
Sorry to hear your husband was ill...but how do you know it was norovirus and not just the flu or something else. Also sorry you had a snarky nurse.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

My thought was the same as MJ's. Even with a trip to the health center, they could only make a "presumptive diagnosis." They are not equipped to do viral identification. They would check out the guest and end up with "yes, it looks like XYZ." In reality, there is little reason to do viral IDs as long as the person is getting better.

Yeah, we had a rather snarky nurse on the Magic once too...but the doc was great. Sorry for your experience. I hope your DH is better.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
jdjd2004
Earning My Ears

Our diagnosis is also presumptive based upon symptoms, timing and circumstances and the fact that norovirus is one of the most common causes of gastroenteritis among cruise passengers. I'm taking him to the ER in an hour if he's not feeling better, so I will let you know what the confirmed diagnosis is.
jdjd2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Callymum
DIS Veteran

I hope he starts to feel better soon.
Callymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

i hope he feels better soon!!! please do let us know how he is!

if he's still not keeping in fluids, you really need to get him to medical care to get him hydrated.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Sorry to hear your husband was ill...but how do you know it was norovirus and not just the flu or something else. Also sorry you had a snarky nurse.

MJ
"The flu" (influenza) does not cause the GI symptoms listed. What people informally call "the stomach flu" is viral gastroenteritis, and norovirus is the most common cause of same, on a cruise ship or off.
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
4bsingreece
Earning My Ears

We were on the dream 9/16-9/20. On the 19th my finance got a fever and tummy issues. We got home on the 20th and both my girls were vomiting and had fevers :/
4bsingreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

My mom got a really serious type of food poisoning from under-cooked chicken at a Hard Rock Cafe about 12 years or so ago. She went to her doctor after 5 days. They drew blood and did cultures. I don't know the name of it but it was something bad enough that the local health department as well as the health department where the restaurant was contacted her. Her stomach was a mess for several months. If took her almost a year to get back to 100%. I've never heard of anyone having a food poisoning like that before or since. It was so bad. To this day when she eats in restaurants she orders all her meat burnt. Yuck! But I don't guess I can blame her. LOL!
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
sweetiee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993
My mom got a really serious type of food poisoning from under-cooked chicken at a Hard Rock Cafe about 12 years or so ago. She went to her doctor after 5 days. They drew blood and did cultures. I don't know the name of it but it was something bad enough that the local health department as well as the health department where the restaurant was contacted her. Her stomach was a mess for several months. If took her almost a year to get back to 100%. I've never heard of anyone having a food poisoning like that before or since. It was so bad. To this day when she eats in restaurants she orders all her meat burnt. Yuck! But I don't guess I can blame her. LOL!
I wonder if she had Shigella. It is similar to salmonella but very severe. Our daughter came down with this a couple years ago and the clinic dr told us it was strep. Haha... Days later we had her in the ER and she was there three days until the cultures we took finally came back to tell us it was a very rare illness, Shigella. The culture took three days to grow, which is why it took so long to diagnose her. Her poor tummy was striped raw from it and took months to get halfway normal. They usually only see this about once a year or less. so of course the health dept. called us after we came home. We really think she picked it up from the play pool we had outside. Anything could have been in the hose when we ran the water and hoses are common ways. It also could have been food at a restaurant or school. No one else had it though.
I do not like using buffet utensils because I have seen people lick their fingers, then grab a spoon, or sneeze and wipe then grab. Ugh. I wonder if I would look weird if I kept some gloves in my pocket for buffets so I wouldn't have to go back to the bathroom afterwards.
And yes, use the paper towel to turn off the water and open the door. I tech my kids that as well!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
Sparrow78
Mouseketeer

How common is this virus? May be a dumb question but does the flu shot help avoid it?

Sailing on the Magic again! Nov 29, 2015!

------
8 night Magic Cruise - Jan 18, 2013

Paradise Pier Hotel May 20-26, 2012
WDW August 7-14 2010
2nd DL trip! May 18-25, 2004
1st DL visit... 1 day rushed trip May 2001
Sparrow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
bibbidibobbidibecky
The Fairy Godblogger

It amazes me how many people think the flu, which is actually a respiratory illness, is a stomach virus. Two totally different things. I cannot even convince my mother of this

We picked up a stomach virus on our first cruise in 2009 (four-day Wonder). It was awful. My whole family of five was laid up the day and day after we got off the ship. We saw a girl vomit outside the theater, so I feel certain it was going around the ship.

I was so paranoid for our Med cruise last summer that I brought Lysol spray and Clorox wipes and disinfected the entire room before I let anymore enter. We were very diligent about hand-washing and using sanitizer and luckily no one got sick! Now I understand these things can and will happen but taking a few extra steps can help avoid it.

DCL: 2014 Greek Isles out of Venice, 2011 Med out of Barcelona, 2009 4-night Wonder.
WDW: 2014 Jan., 2012 Oct., 2011 Oct., 2010 Oct., 2009 Dec., 2008 Oct., 2008 May, 2006 Oct., 1997 April, 1996 April, 1993 Feb., 1992 Feb., 1980s various trips, 1977 First trip.
DL California 2012: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...0Report%202012
DL Paris 2014
: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...eyland%20Paris
bibbidibobbidibecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow78 View Post
How common is this virus? May be a dumb question but does the flu shot help avoid it?
Noro is a very common virus. On cruise ships sailing to the US, it must be reported if 3% of the ship's "population" becomes ill on any given sailing--these reports are posted and available to the public. A very different standard is employed on land; a school does not have to report to their state health department unless 10% of their population is absent on any given day.

This virus is transmitted by hand to mouth contact. You get it on your hands by touching something that has been infected by someone who has it. You put your fingers into/near your mouth (or other orifice). Bingo, you now have the virus. Hand wipes have some effect just from the mechanical action of wiping off some of the virus, but the best prevention is the frequent use of soap and water on your hands.

DCL does their part by frequent cleaning of railings, elevator buttons, etc. with appropriate disinfectants which supposedly kill this and many other viruses and bacteria. They frequently change the utensils on the buffet tables. They use disinfectants when cleaning the rooms. Public restrooms are constantly being cleaned. When there have been more than a few ill people on the ship, they have CMs with gloves serving at the buffets and beverage stations (rather than guests serving themselves and they increase cleaning.

The medical center does waive charges when they determine that the visit was probably due to something contracted on the ship. When charges are not waived, they provide appropriate documentation for the guest to submit to their travel insurance and/or health insurance.

The crew is WELL taught about what one referred to as "The dreaded GI." This term came to us from a stage performer. They know that if they become ill, they will be quarantined and life will not be pretty. Frequent hand washing is emphasized as part of their training!

DCL has done their part to reduce spread of this and other nasty diseases. Guests need to be just as diligent with hand washing.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #14
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Noro is a very common virus. On cruise ships sailing to the US, it must be reported if 3% of the ship's "population" becomes ill on any given sailing--these reports are posted and available to the public. A very different standard is employed on land; a school does not have to report to their state health department unless 10% of their population is absent on any given day.

This virus is transmitted by hand to mouth contact. You get it on your hands by touching something that has been infected by someone who has it. You put your fingers into/near your mouth (or other orifice). Bingo, you now have the virus. Hand wipes have some effect just from the mechanical action of wiping off some of the virus, but the best prevention is the frequent use of soap and water on your hands.

DCL does their part by frequent cleaning of railings, elevator buttons, etc. with appropriate disinfectants which supposedly kill this and many other viruses and bacteria. They frequently change the utensils on the buffet tables. They use disinfectants when cleaning the rooms. Public restrooms are constantly being cleaned. When there have been more than a few ill people on the ship, they have CMs with gloves serving at the buffets and beverage stations (rather than guests serving themselves and they increase cleaning.

The medical center does waive charges when they determine that the visit was probably due to something contracted on the ship. When charges are not waived, they provide appropriate documentation for the guest to submit to their travel insurance and/or health insurance.

The crew is WELL taught about what one referred to as "The dreaded GI." This term came to us from a stage performer. They know that if they become ill, they will be quarantined and life will not be pretty. Frequent hand washing is emphasized as part of their training!

DCL has done their part to reduce spread of this and other nasty diseases. Guests need to be just as diligent with hand washing.

Well put Kate

This is a viris /illness that they need to jump on right at the start or is grows by leaps and bounds and Dcl is well aware of that fact.

It would not be a smart idea to try and hide it, especailly as even a suspected out break is checked by the local health authorities and I would not beleive, as carefull as DCL is, they would try to.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #15
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
that's really interesting - i've often suspected that DCL artificially keeps its noro count low to avoid making the CDC minimum....
if they don't call it noro, it's not counted...who's going to check?
If the ship has a GI problem, it has to be reported. It doesn't have to be Norovirus.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

BTW, this is a good site in general for health issues on the ships.
http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/public/public.htm

Tags
dream, illness, norovirus

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: